Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: here's a stoopid question about flake powder.

Boolit Master
    The flake powders meter well through my Lyman 55.

As to are you crazy I can only tell you

Sanity is a lot like virginity.
    Those who have it are very proud of their condition.
    Those who no longer have it cannot remember what they did with it back when they did have it.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.

Boolit Master

I put `bout 1/4 teaspoon of powdered graphite in my cornflake powders , then it flows like water !

I have compared the treated powder against the untreated over the chrony , no difference .

I have set the tumbler on the bench & run a batch of brass thru while loading, but be aware the vibration will change recorded weight settings.

Besides , what do ya think that grey stuff is that rubs off in the hoppers ???
    GP100man

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GP100man View Post
    Besides , what do ya think that grey stuff is that rubs off in the hoppers ???
    magic shooting fairy dust?

Post #2 covered it, but if you like to read ...........The Manufacture of Smokeless Powders and their
    Forensic Analysis: A Brief Review http://firearmsid.com/Feature%20Arti...wder/index.htm

Boolit Grand Master

Since a lot of "recommendations" for powder measures above; I'll toss in my .02...

I found this page a while back and used the info and bought a C-H powder measure with 2 meter inserts. It works great on all the powders I've used. Scroll way down to the powder measure comparison...http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_6-4_Powde...20Measures.htm
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Bottom line.................today you meter what you can find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use all kinds......ball, flake, "cheerio's", etc. All meter differently in my Saeco WarHorse, but I get by!

I don't worry about the metering......just the shooting!

Just do what you have to in this day and age of powder shortages.

banger

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Bottom line.................today you meter what you can find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use all kinds......ball, flake, "cheerio's", etc. All meter differently in my Saeco WarHorse, but I get by!

I don't worry about the metering......just the shooting!

Just do what you have to in this day and age of powder shortages.

banger
    Agreed... I've even tried .50BMG and 20mm powder in a 10mm, just to see what would happen if I got REALLY desperate. It *does* go "bang", but it won't cycle the action.

Boolit Grand Master

I can see several really dangerous aspects of "grinding" powder down by any means. Think about elevator explosions in the past grain is very starble when grain as dust in the right oxegen dust mixture it is a very potent bomb. Controling the dust produced when re granulating powder would be needed or serious explosions could result. As particles get smaller burning rate does change. you also would end up with bare powder (edges and areas possibly whole grains) with no coatings that help to control burn rates and set it. A fine dust like powder may meter worse than before due to bridging and sticking in the measure happening. A good measure and practice using it consistantly is the real cure. Most measures work well with a consitent movement of the drum, slide, or rotor. I have used lyman, rcbs, redding, harrels and Belding and Mull. All worked well my personal go to is the harrells measures then the Belding and Mull. One reason the measures work so well on progressives is the controlled acyation of the measure. Slow and easy stop to stop same force same speed same everything.

Boolit Grand Master
    For those that think granule size is determinative.......Bullseye is of much finer granule size than Red Dot. Red Dot is faster. So much for that idea being always true.

Boolit Master

Red Dot has more surface area to burn and Bullseye may have deterrent coatings. These parameters must be taken into account. All things being equal, the smaller granulation will burn faster.