Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Considered Buying A New House To Build A Shooting Range In The Backyard

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

147 93.04%
  • No

11 6.96%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying A House To Build A Shooting Range

Moderator Emeritus

I am surrounded on 3 sides by farmland with only one neighbor towards town. I am the very last lot on the edge of town. I am petitioning the city to build a small 25 yard pistol only range in the backyard. Neighbor would not care.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Build a sound proofed range in the basement of the new house. Who would know?
    I know a guy back home that did it. When he built his house he said "why not" and built part of the basement into a pistol range with exhaust fans, target trap etc...It was pretty cool and if your building anyways it does not cost much to dig a slightly bigger hole
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

I should have been a little different in the wording. I should have said "Have you bought a house...." not " Have you considered..."

Boolit Grand Master
    I voted yes, and I think at some time or another ALL of us have had one of those "what if" daydreams. My shooting partner's former home (that he and his wife built) had a 50 yd range (mostly for pistol) built back in the woods when the 'dozer guy came to do the landscaping around the house. Another friend (now deceased) built his house almost as an afterthought to his shop that had a window out onto his 100 yd bench rest range. Down the hill, he had a 200 yd range for schuetzen, and held matches regularly. Yep, his wife had left him sometime before that! Now if I can just win the PowerBall™ tonight!

Froggie

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    The place I have now has a berm and I have measured shooting positions out to 200 yards. Have been cutting through the woods to make a second berm at the 300 yard mark. This is the second house I've bought because of the capability to shoot. The first one was two doors down from a Gun Club I belonged to.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Mold
    I just came in from testing some loads in my yard and saw this thread. I am usually shooting
    Reduced or small caliber rounds to be more neighbor friendly. But they are ok with it anyway as I
    Helped to build their berm for shooting too.

Boolit Master

I keep telling my wife that we will be purchasing our home to retire in an area where I can shoot right in the yard. I'd like to have a detached building with my reloading setup. Test a load by walking out and shooting.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

When we bought our home almost 50 yrs ago I had 100 yds off the back porch. Since that time homes have been built across the road and I do my serious 100 yd shooting at the Club. In deference to my neighbors (who really do not mind) I usually just use my 50 yd set up with low intensity cartridges.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Left Colorado 10 years ago. Had a 100 yard range, lived at 8700 feet altitude with long winters near Denver. Colorado was changing even then. Bought an old farm in Wyoming. I can go to a 1000 yards on my place, though mostly 100 and 200 yards is fine. The 'neighbors' all have guns in their trucks. If you DON'T shoot or hunt you are considered 'strange' and suspect.

Boolit Grand Master

I would love to buy a parcel of land large enough to shoot on. Unfortunately w/ land costing what it does I don't see it happening. I don't want that large of a mortgage. I did buy a garage that included w/ my current home as an afterthought :laugh:

Boolit Master
    Remember the movie "Second Hand Lions"?

That's what my wife and I have for our digs ........ front deck, driveway .7 mile long up a long hill. Open range. Plenty of shotguns to chose from to drive off "traveling salesmen" ......... LOL!

My only compelling interest is moving off far enough so my wife's horse is not so bothered by my shooting ........ I make my shooting back stops at will with our ranch's back hoe or if need be ........ one of our Cat's.

Got a nice Man Cave in our "barn" ..... (the load room).

Yes, we planned it as we built it ........ and yes, she's a shooter too!

Three 44s

Boolit Master
    We built our house in the woods with that in mind. When the excavation crew first came in to put in the septic system, I had them pile all the dirt, stumps, etc in a big pile 45 yards from where the covered front porch would be. Voila! Instant testing and Contender pistol range when we moved into the new house. It helped that the excavator/contractor was a fellow shooter and knew exactly what I had in mind. The hardest part is keeping the jungle (aka rainforest) from taking it back but the local deer love all the edge browse the range creates.

On of my friends has his house in town and then he bought land out in the hills but he has cut himself a private 200 yard range out there, and even with fire restrictions on BLM/state/fed land he can still go and shoot.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    When I moved into the home I'm in now I tinkered every means to stretch a 100yd closed indoor range from a sound proofed loading room and 310' of culvert to side walk over 325' of dirt floor 2 high cinder block w/a 6x6' room and shooting slots. Then I got laid off and its still 3 miles to the desert......
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

I should update the original post. The hayfield is 1,000ft long with a mile of woods behind it so a 300yrd range would fit with no problem not a 100yrd range

Boolit Master
    We started out nearly 2 years ago studying for a move to Texas. We wanted a minimum of 10 acres.
    Because of Texas' slowly but surely growing Dem/lib/progressive infestation problem, we have now ruled out Texas or any of the States that border Mexico.

After evaluating weather, bugs, politics, taxes, cost of living and how much land we can get for our limited kitty, our search has lead us to Missouri where we are now determined to end up with 60 acres or better.

You bet I'm going to have a range.

smokeywolf
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 07-14-2014 at 12:41 AM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    It's not that I don't like people, but I prefer being being away from them and doing what I want with no friction. I hate crowds, traffic, and feeling constrained from doing what I want. Sound like a good move to me. I will take a small modest house in the country any day over a big house in the city.
    Your not the only one... my friends family and I are actually looking at possible places in alaska....lol

Boolit Buddy
    My wife and I bought a 75 acre farm on the Ozark Plateau in Southern Missouri for this very reason. Actually she bought it while I was working long hours in Nevada's gold mines. She found a place and called me to come look at it. I told her that she knew what I required in our new place, that being my own shooting range and the freedom and game availability to hunt on my own land. Also we desired to live off the paved road and around neighbors who are like minded. She bought it and I later flew out to look at it. It's about as perfect a place for what we want or need as we could wish, with deer, turkeys, and almost uncountable tree squirrels for hunting. Now we are retired and over the next half year or so will get relocated there.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Boolit Master
    Urny, you're about a 12 to 18 months ahead of me.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Would I? Absolutely! That's my biggest dream! If I could only figure out how to PAY for it. Living on a dream property but having to commute piles o' miles to a job doesn't sound good. The fuel costs alone make me shudder. Probably cost me my wife too, but no big loss there.