Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master
    Be patient with us,alot of us didn't listen at school,we were too busy daydreaming about shooting and fishing. Pat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    Be patient with us,alot of us didn't listen at school,we were too busy daydreaming about shooting and fishing. Pat
    Hi Pat,

Thanks for your advice and support.

I suppose I am to blame, as I have not made the solvent aspects clear enough, and that is maybe why such things have happened.

Mate,,, I bludged at school lots, went fishing at every opportunity, until I realised that I was a mile behind other kids and was failing exams.
    I had to do a lot of catching up just to scrape through.

ADMIN

If your in the USA, Lowes or Home depot sells pure acetone in a metal container. It isn't that expensive.
    Concerning the powder version. This is the easiest method to deal with and the most forgiving.
    Publix grocery stores sells a glass measuring cup that has ML on it. Its just three bucks or so. While you are there get some plastic measuring spoons.
    You can use anywhere from one tablespoon of powder to four tablespoons per 100ml of acetone .
    I have done one and two tablespoons per 100ml.
    The key is to start with a little solution to a pound of boolits (couple handfuls).
    If you think you don't have enough solution chances are you have too much.
    Remember even if you didn't use enough it would just mean you would need to do a third coat.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

ADMIN

It is critical that you keep your solution in a acetone safe container. Certain plastics will melt. I used a old shampoo bottle. Surprisingly its lasted two weeks so far.

Start with two tablespoons to 100ml.
    Shake well.
    Put a handful of boolits in the container then just a little bit (maybe 15 drops worth I you can imagine that amount)
    Shake for 30 seconds. Its more like side to side shake. You can keep the lid off.
    Look at them and look at the bottom of the container.
    It might be wet but shouldn't have little puddles.

Dump on a flat surface (newspaper or parchment paper). Let dry for your 30 mins.
    Then bake for 10 mins at 375 f

ADMIN

Sorry for two post or any mistakes but typing on my phone.

HI TEK
    I m very satisfeid with hitek coating , it is realy great product and cheap way to have bullets coated!
    But new users, begginers like myself must be aware that this is very precise procedure. Wi ar talking hiere about mils , grams, minimal temperature, minutes of curing etc
    Litlle mistake and you have fail.
    So be prepare for that and be patient. And no shortcuts!
    I did get desired results finnaly but it was litlle frustrating.. just a litlle ....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Balta View Post
    HI TEK
    I m very satisfied with Hi-Tek coating , it is really great product and cheap way to have bullets coated!
    But new users, beginners like myself must be aware that this is very precise procedure. We are talking here about mils , grams, minimal temperature, minutes of curing etc
    Little mistake and you have fail.
    So be prepare for that and be patient. And no shortcuts!
    I did get desired results finally but it was little frustrating.. just a little ....
    BALTA

Thanks you much for update and kind support.

With solvent coatings, trying to make up very small coating mixtures can cause problems, as it is difficult to accurately measure very small amounts.
    I always advise, that cast way to many first, then, coat and try to use up coating mixtures, even if you don't coat all your cast alloy.

Mixed Liquid & catalysed coating should be workable for a week or more, but try and use it up as quickly as possible.

With solvent coatings, please do not try and mix 1 drop of this, half a drop of that, and 2 drops of solvent.
    It simply is false economy, as you end up wasting cast and coatings with failures.

With powdered systems, every thing is included in the material, and you can add small amount of extra powder to the Acetone, and if you need to, (and because every thing is in the powder mix), you can always keep adding a little more powder to the Acetone, to get the colour concentration you are happy with, as a coating mix.

Once you have a working system, simply reproduce it over and over again, and ensure that you take notes of what works for your system.

Boolit Master
    It is not hard to do.
    Just take your time and do not over think the process.
    Use the correct products.
    Do not cut corners.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    I did 15 cast for a friends Snyder today, they are bloody huge hunks of lead so I had a tray in oven with 15 cast bullets in it, sure glad I don't own one of them myself. I also did another 1000 or so 125gr 9mm as well as a few hundred 230gr 45s. I still have not had any problems with the coating of cast, when al else fails follow the instructions.

Boolit Man
    JOE

Nearly out if the 5 litres I bought off you, what is the minimum order of dry powder?

S

ADMIN

Balta, the powder version isn't as precise as you think.

15 to 60 grams of powder to 100ml of acetone.
    I have used 15 and 30 and have had great results.
    If you are having problems AND are using 100% acetone then I would say you are using too much solution to your batch.

Boolit Master
    little update as I have been a bit quiet as of late. Went to Missourri first week of June to pick up MKIV bullet master and a half dozen sets of molds for it. I love the speed. 3600 an hour is very easy in 9mm.

I wanted a no lube groove .380 mold set. I had Tom build me one a set out of brass. They are truly a work of art. Brass seems to hold heat better than iron so why not. It was a good move. I had him build a set in 95gr BB specifically for coating.

I have cast coated and sized over 30000 this week alone. Had to start buying lead by the ton. If I could ever figure out why the site won't let me post pics from my ipad I could show you how nice they turn out. I may try downloading tap a talk and see if it will let me... stay tuned
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    figured it out here are the molds set up with plates and keys
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    and the result in gold!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405273921431.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	110525
    Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Balta, the powder version isn't as precise as you think.

15 to 60 grams of powder to 100ml of acetone.
    I have used 15 and 30 and have had great results.
    If you are having problems AND are using 100% acetone then I would say you are using too much solution to your batch.
    I end up with god result. Just saying it is a precise procedure.

Unlike most of you, I don't load/shoot the large quantities of boolits. I wanted something to let me get back in without all the muss of standard lube types.

Donnie set me up, got my goodies organized and finally got some boolits cast and ready to go for the .45 colt. 271 gr. big boys.

It was HOT outside and humid the day I worked, but it seemed to come out ok. My cylinders are en route from Doug Guy after getting a good reaming (If YOU need a good reaming, contact Doug) and i have some of the Gold ready to go..
    .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st & 2nd bake.JPG 
Views:	492 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	110538

I didn't have the fan, etc, so trying to be compliant to the 3000+ posts, I went over to the neighbors A/C unit and set my mesh trays on top his fan for the A/C and let them dry between coats.

I toasted them the time Donnie's instruction suggest, turned off the unit and then let them sit for a few minutes more. I had a thermometer in with the boolits, but didn't quite trust it...

They got a wee bit darker on the 2nd coat but the pic shows the 2nd bake on the top and the first bake (pure gold) on the bottom of pic.

Off to shoot them soon as I get my cylinders back this week...

Mixed using measuring spoons... 7 (1/2 Tblspoons(us)) and 5+ 1... shook till my arms ached and Donnie provides a ball or bullet inside his color mix... danged if I don't have a ton of dimples in that can from shaking so much!

Took my time. Followed directions and checked in with Donnie during the process.

First coat, the deep grease grooves didn't have full coating...Donnie commented that is how he knows guys are not using too much... but in the end, they sized up nice, no flaking or adhesion problems!

I thank all who developed, test, market and shared their experiences. I'm psyched!

Boolit Master
    Good job, RR.
    You can take them out of the oven as soon as they are finished the 10 minutes.
    leaving them in is what is darkening them.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Thanks, AG. Once I put them in my somewhat smaller Oster Convection oven, the temp didn't drop...for a couple minutes, then it did. I "***-U-med" that was the big 270 gr boolits were absorbing heat and then the temp dropped after a few...

That is why I left them in a few min longer w/ heat off... but they're a golden almond color... if they work well, I don't mind. Just wanted to be sure they were "done"...

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    Good job, RR.
    You can take them out of the oven as soon as they are finished the 10 minutes.
    leaving them in is what is darkening them.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a big problem with acetone that I had purchased over the winter. It was contaminated with water and screwed up everything! But it seems the biggest problems that I have seen from the home user are as follows.

1. Failing to follow instructions (over baking, under baking, temps to high or to low, not allowing to dry properly, not mixing properly, etc etc etc)

2. Reusing bullets that have been lube sized.

3. Not using the proper acetone or solvent.

4. See number 1.
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Master
    I really think HI-TEK Joe needs to lay off the booze and write a proper instruction manual.
    Everyone keeps asking about instructions, But none are available.
    This would test his 1 finger typing skills...
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia