Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have any experience with CCI Green Tag ammo?

Boolit Master

Does anyone have any experience with CCI Green Tag ammo?

I found a guy today who had a few boxes in stock.

$20 per 100. No, that's not cheap. Yes, I have lots of cheaper ammo on hand.

The thing is, I don't have any match ammo (other than a partial box of Federal Gold Medal that's 15 years old) on hand. I realize that pre-panic I could have bought Wolf or Lapua or Eley for this price. The question isn't about that. I guess the question is this:

If I wanted a couple hundred rounds of ammo to really see how accurate a particular rifle might be (and then go kill some squirrels with it) is the Green Tag a good choice, or should I wait for a chance at something else?

Does the Green Tag need to be rim-sorted or is it pretty consistent as-is?

Any info would be appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I've never found Green Tag to be worth my entry fee for a match. I'd shoot any of the others you mentioned or use CCI SV for a local match or testing. Green Tag isn't worth the money.

Boolit Master

its nothing more than CCI standard, from a slightly better firing lot. its decent ammo, but not worth getting excited over.

Boolit Master
    I shot rimfire competition for years and I've shot all the different brands out of some very, very accurate handguns and rifles. CCI Greentag isn't worth one penny more than CCI Std. velocity. There are a lot of better target shells out there.

Boolit Master

Thanks, folks. This is precisely what I needed to know. A long time ago I used to squirrel hunt with a 10/22 using CCI SV and it was very accurate, even out of a kid's 10/22.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    its nothing more than CCI standard, from a slightly better firing lot. its decent ammo, but not worth getting excited over.
    Not to be a stick in the mud but an autopsy does not seam to support that notion. Different powder and bullet when I checked. I do not know if that is true in all lots.

I have nothing against CCI. Not at all and really like many of there products but the Green Tag, at least in the last 20 years just ain't worth beans! For the price, you can buy (today) Eley club and get a few pennies back. For a little bit more $ much better ammo can be had, again, today.
    I am not sure why CCI thinks their Green Tag is special. I wonder what chamber they test it in???????
    Chill Wills

It's been a good deal over 15 years now since I tested some Green Tag. I'd purchased a Remington Model 541-T and wanted to wring ever bit of accuracy I could out of it. I bought approximately 15 different types ammuntion for it. Some, were made by the same company with different bullet weights.

In the end, the CCI Green Tag (I think I paid close to $8 for a 100 pack) didn't impress me one bit. Like the others, I'm not sure why CCI seems to think it is all that great. Bulk Federal (550 round bricks) outshot it by far. Amazing huh?

As for measuring the case rim? The CCI Green Tags were very consistant. I mic'd every round I tested. Also, I ran basically the same test again using all of the same ammuntion a year or so later. I had decided I wanted to do some single shot handgun hunting. The gun was a T/C Contender with a 14" Match barrel. Again, the bulk Federals beat the CCI Green Tag.

In the end, Ely 10X (I think) and the Federal bulk 550 packs gave me the best accuracy. The Ely 10X beat the Federal bulk pack, but by just a hair. Not enough for me to justify shooting it for my intended purpose.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Green tag has never impressed me much over the excellent CCI SV ammo
    CCI green tag is just seleceted lots of regular CCI SV ammo that tested to be more accurate than the std set for SV ammo .
    Perhaps CCI Select may be worth looking into?

Boolit Master

I followed the .22 LR benchrest forums for a while. Ammo discussions were mostly around Wolf, SK, Eley and RWS. I never recall CCI Green tag being mentioned in use for competition. I shot NRA BE pistol with a guy that claimed he had some CCI Green Tag that was noticeably less accurate than CCI SV. He shot a S&W 41.

Boolit Master

If had better accuracy with some CCI mini mags and rem thunder bolts than the green tag I've been shooting lately because its what I could find without burning up stock, daughter and wife and neighbors wife do that for me. Anyhow I think the green tag I have is not match accurate out of rifles that are

Boolit Buddy
    My experience has been similar to others here. Green Tag shot pretty well in a couple of my rifles, but not the best in any I have ever tired it in. I have about 20-30 rounds of GT left in my inventory and when it's gone, I won't be buying any more.
    I too have found the CCI HV solids to be very accurate in several of my guns; almost as good as the best target ammo tried in them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
    I too have found the CCI HV solids to be very accurate in several of my guns; almost as good as the best target ammo tried in them.

I have a decent stash of Mini-Mags - old ones, from back in the days when they came in 100-round packs in 25-pack cardboard boxes for counter displays - but they're not here. I'll grab some next time I'm at dad's.

Has anyone shot the Remington-branded Eley ammo that Cabelas has in stock from time to time?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Has anyone shot the Remington-branded Eley ammo that Cabelas has in stock from time to time?
    Its fine. It is, as best I can tell, Eley ammo packaged for Remington.
    It shoots like and with and looks like its Eley equivalent;
    black Match=Rem Match, orange Club=Rem Club Extra, yellow Target=Rem Target and like that.

You pay a little extra for it in the package with the Remington stripe BUT it can be found on a shelve....... now and then.

The slightly less expensive Eley is available mail order which has shipping. If buying quantities from a brick to a case; + shipping is the way to go.
    To just try Eley because you never have or would like 50 rounds to compare to some other..... then picking it up in the store is great.
    I hope like he!! we all have better and cheaper 22 ammo available soon! I am starting to see a little on shelves now and then!
    Chill Wills
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Its fine. It is, as best I can tell, Eley ammo packaged for Remington.
    It shoots like and with and looks like its Eley equivalent;
    black Match=Rem Match, orange Club=Rem Club Extra, yellow Target=Rem Target and like that.

You pay a little extra for it in the package with the Remington stripe BUT it can be found on a shelve....... now and then.

The slightly less expensive Eley is available mail order which has shipping. If buying quantities from a brick to a case; + shipping is the way to go.
    To just try Eley because you never have or would like 50 rounds to compare to some other..... then picking it up in the store is great.
    I hope like he!! we all have better and cheaper 22 ammo available soon! I am starting to see a little on shelves now and then!
    Chill Wills

I have considered buying a box or two of Eley, but am confused about which ammo is which - whether it has Eley or Remington on it. The places that have Eley in stock often have a half-dozen or more variants.

Also.....to completely change this thread up, with something like cheap Federal #510, will I see much gain if I weigh or rim-sort each round? Is it worth trying? Can I sort by rim thickness using calipers, or do I need a special tool?

(I know the tools exist - just wondering if I can get by without it for a few rounds?)

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    Also.....to completely change this thread up, with something like cheap Federal #510, will I see much gain if I weigh or rim-sort each round? Is it worth trying? Can I sort by rim thickness using calipers, or do I need a special tool?
    (I know the tools exist - just wondering if I can get by without it for a few rounds?)
    That truly is a different topic that if you get into it could be 100 posts for and against how well sorting works. It is up to you of course but you might ask under its own topic....
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Green tag has never really impressed me alot frommy rifles or pistols for that matter. One of the best all around performers in any firearm I put it threw was the cmp 22 white box the CMP sold 15-20 yeas ago. That was reputed to be federal 911 it shot about the same. I bought 8 cases of it ( 5000 rd / case) that year. It performed very well in a Kimber match, win 52, win 75 target, 10 22 target, Marvel conversion, S&W 41, Ruger 8" mark 3, And several other ruger semi auto pistols. Shame its no longer available. Im downto just a few bricks left, But the kids are on thier own now so it lasts alot longer. One thing to keep in mind is to test several diffrent brands in your rifle as somee may perform better than others. Testing diffrent ammo over diffrent days and conditions can be a eye opener. Right now thats easier said than done, but some firearms will show a definite prefrence for one brand, type, lot number over others.

Boolit Mold
    Green Tag never shot well in anything I had. Began an exhaustive experiment two summers ago to find best .22 LR round for my CZ bolt gun. If it shot three-fourths of an inch or less at 50 yards (scoped rifle - from a rest), it was worthy of consideration. The winner? Federal #510, which has disappeared in the current mania. The runners up? Winchester Power Point and Winchester Dyna Point. All these shot half-inch or slightly better. Used about 25 different kinds of ammo -- match,el cheapo,standard, high and hyper velocity, hollow point, plated, plain lead. CCI, Winchester, Remington, Wolfe, Eley, Armscor, Aguila, etc. Biggest disappointment? Anything marked target. Most fun? 60 grain "subsonic." Biggest surprise (other than Federal #510)? Armscor 40 gr. lead RN -- better than my former "go bang" favorite, Winchester Wildcat. Most unusual result? Wolfe ammo --- Man, does that stuff stink!! Perfect for a skunk hunt! What's up with that?
    Common thread of all ammo which shot well - velocity. Standard and hyper shot poorly. High velocity worked best. Lo, I have rediscovered the wheel!

Boolit Bub
    If I'm wanting a match I try and find the federal gold, but I'm also partial to the CCI Stingers. Just my preference.

That's the rub! Green Tag (GT) is simply CCI STD. BUT, the lots that have the most consistant velocity, are set aside as GT. That does not mean it's the most accurate in any particular rifle, just that it has the lowest deviation in velocity. It may, or may not be any better or worse then the next lot on target.

Eley did the same thing w/ a particular flavor. The most consistant lots were gradded the next step up. They were set aside, boxed a different color, a different name and priced accordingly.

Bullet configuration, lube, etc often changes in a flavor. Now, most of us wonder, "Why bloody well change something that works??! Good question then! But it happens all too often. Then everyone goes scrambling about trying to find lots of their favorite, discontinued flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Not to be a stick in the mud but an autopsy does not seam to support that notion. Different powder and bullet when I checked. I do not know if that is true in all lots.

I have nothing against CCI. Not at all and really like many of there products but the Green Tag, at least in the last 20 years just ain't worth beans! For the price, you can buy (today) Eley club and get a few pennies back. For a little bit more $ much better ammo can be had, again, today.
    I am not sure why CCI thinks their Green Tag is special. I wonder what chamber they test it in???????

Boolit Master
    Yep, I'd go along with the great majority of posters that say Green Tag is nothing special.

I like CCI ammo, and have lots of it on hand, but when Green Tag is put on the bench along side other match or target ammo, it always is one of the lower rated products, and this from my Clark Custom 77/22 that tends to do quite well with a bunch of different products.

Now, it may give respectable groups in some peoples eyes, but when compared with other ammos in the CRuger with it's Walther barrel, I see some "typical off the shelf" ammo out shoot it.

In your rifle, well there is only one way to find out!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot