RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Can you identify these green reloading pieces?

Boolit Master

Can you identify these green reloading pieces?

My curiosity is killing me. Does anyone know what these are? I guess they are RCBS from the color, but I sure don't know what they could be to. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5094.JPG  

In Remembrance
    I see that one is bent, so it's probably a good idea to have spares around...and that you don't have any left-handed ones.
    I have run across quite a few 'green things' that were not associated with reloading gear. That may happen to me (more often that some others) because I use John Deere equipment.

I suspect that your treasures are...in some way...related to duct tape.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

It is possible that it is not reloading stuff, but it was in a box of reloading stuff and exactly matches the finish on my RCBS Trim Pro case trimmer.

Those are parts of a RCBS case kicker that fits on your press. Those actually fit in the slot on your ram and force the spent primer to a metal ledge and then into trash etc. This is one of RCBS's better ideas.

You insert the case into shell holder as normal. On the upstroke the primer comes down and out into the trash. One the downstroke there is a spring steel arm that kicks the case out of the shell holder and into a small tub (holds about 40 cases). Works any time you lower the arm. Such as sizing, bullet seating, etc. I bought one about 10 years ago and couldn"t do without it.

Don't know if the are still available or not. You go into most stores and ask for one thay think you are nuts or imagining things. You need to find someone that knows RCBS or maybe contact them direct.

I couldn't find it on their sight but you might give them a call if you're interested.

RCBS no longer makes the case kicker. They do carry parts, I called them and got some kicker springs. [no charge] Wouldn't be with out mine.
    Mugs
    Shoot only Cast Bullets!

Boolit Master

Excellent! Glad to have the mystery solved. What press are they for? I haven't got any RCBS presses. Just got it with some other stuff in a box of reloading stuff from someone a while back. If anyone needs these they are welcome to them. Oneshot has first dibs since he identified them.

Boolit Bub

If they fit a Rock Chucker I'm interested in one.
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

I believe they fit just about any single stage press by RCBS. I have mine on a rock chucker. Thanks for the offer but I have one and don't think I need more. This is just one piece of the kicker. There are many more missing. They may be in that box with the other things.

Boolit Master

You're welcome to one if you want it 2400, or both for that matter, but from what oneshot says it sounds like you are going to need more parts to get it working.

I used one for nearly 10 years back when I participated in our NYS Bullseye League. It was a real time saver for boolit seating and crimping when I wanted to sit and load 100 or 200 rounds at a time. I still have it here, but don`t use it now. The round count on my `87 Rock Chucker sure went up in a rapid rate back then. It`s one of my so-called "justifications" against a progressive press.
    Yea, that`s weak, but nonetheless......
    "I know what your thinking, did he fire six shots, or only five..."

Hey folks,

I bought one of those case kickers maybe 15 or more years ago and use it most of the time I use my RockChucker. I am not as wild, however, about how well it handles spent primers. Then again, RCBS never did have a foolproof spent primer catcher system. In any case, I like the case kicker, and when I find I do not want to use it, I can move the spring kicker out of the way so it stops working.

Best wishes,
    Dave Wile

Banned
    can yo post pics with it installed? i have the same stuff in a box that came with my press. and i have no idea to how it connects or works. if ya got a pic can you post it so i can take a good look? thanks -chris

Boolit Master

colbyjack took the words right outta my mouth! I would like to see a picture of them functional also--I have never seen them in my 35+ years of RCBS equipment...BCB

Boolit Master

I saw the RCBS case kicker in an old DBI book article back in the mid/late 80s. As I was a poor undergrad student, I copied the design and made my own for my Lyman Spar T, and later also used it on my Orange Crusher. I used an old hacksaw blade, a block of wood, a C clamp, and I rigged up a cardboard ramp and a tupperware bin as a catch bin. It worked great, and made single stage loading about as fast as safely possible.

Here's how they work. The unit is a simple leaf spring that is mounted on a base that bolts under the press (between press and bench.) The spring extends up over the shellholder from the right to left (viewed from rear.) When the ram is fully lowered the spring sticks over too far to insert a casing. Right hand on the press handle, you raise the ram slightly, which forces the spring aside (back to the right.) Your left hand brings in an empty case (from the box of them you have ready sitting to the left of the press) and inserts it into the shellholder. Right hand completes the down stroke, thereby sizing the case. On the downstroke, the spring "springs" back over the shellholder and pushes the resized case off onto the ramp, which is off of the left side of the press. The sized case rolls down the ramp into a collection bin. then repeat.

Obviously you needed to install the shell holder so that the opening faced the left, and carbide dies were a big plus. I would also use the case kicker in the expand/prime operation, using my press mounted auto primer feed, and then also for the bullet seating operation, having charged cases in a loading block with a bullet set into each mouth. It was a wonderful little gadget, and you developed a natural rhythm to its use. Sadly, now that I own true progressives I never use it.

If I can find it I'll try to post a pic. Its actually harder to describe than use.
    Last edited by Patrick L; 02-13-2008 at 02:29 PM.