Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanted all input on laser range finder upgrade

Boolit Master
    Thanks Dan..

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by freebullet View Post
    yes do that. I found for ranging non reflective targets you want a unit rated for twice the distance you intend using it at. The leica 1600 is tops and they have great customer service.
    I also suggest the Leica 1600. My friend has one and it is a PHENOMINAL unit. He is a long range shooting nut and only buys the best. I was ranging rockpiles at 1660 yards with it the last time he and I went shooting.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

Boolit Master
    I looked at the Leica too and going by the reviews it looks like a good tool. There were a few reasons I chose the Swarovski over the Leica.
    #1 I have had Swarovski binoculars for nearly 35 years and they are still top shelf.
    #2 The Swarovski has all its value in the glass and laser with no additional electronics. The Leica has added electronics in BDC which I do not want.
    #3 The Leica is half the weight so I thought perhaps less durable. The Swarovski is smaller than the Bushnell I have been using so by no means too large.

I dont think you made a bad choice, having both would be great lol.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Some years ago I caved in and bought a Leica 10x42 binocular with built-in rangefinder. I find it so much better than the monocular rangefinders - especially when the fox fever sets in while you're trying to get precise reading
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    Some years ago I caved in and bought a Leica 10x42 binocular with built-in rangefinder. I find it so much better than the monocular rangefinders - especially when the fox fever sets in while you're trying to get precise reading
    WHAT!!! Them are 3000 bucks!!!! I had a very hard time justifying the Swarovski mono at about 25% of that. However if I were in an income bracket that would allow I probably would too. I am hoping having a range finder with far more capability than my old one will at least raise my fur income bracket a bit.

Boolit Master
    Unlimited $ I would go Terrapin......we were getting hits last weekend at 1830 yards on a 3'x5' white target and 2675 yards the weekend before on my truck.

I cant afford them but I know a guy with some pretty cool toys.

I have a Bushnell 1500 and would not suggest that...some days I cant even get a 550 yard hit with it.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Ive been fairly happy with the "eh ill aim about this much high" method. But I don't shoot very far ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Ive been fairly happy with the "eh ill aim about this much high" method. But I don't shoot very far ranges.
    C'mon the ole man aint shipped one of his old ones to you yet? You gotta work on yer sweet talkin skills Jr.

Boolit Master
    I didn't need or want extreme range capability. What I needed was a tool that will give me precise readings in any light conditions to at least 800 yards.
    It seems I have it.
    JR. Trade, $250.00 plus both Bushnell range finders and I pay shipping. You know what I'm talking about!

Why not get a mil-spec range finder??!! The AN/PSQ-23 is right for you! Requires two 123A batteries and has a visible laser, just in case!!!

Just kidding, I had to work with some today. I thought it would be funny. Now I'm going to read the posts on which ones are good value!

After reading, I am convinced I want, but do not need, a range finder!
    Last edited by pretzelxx; 06-19-2014 at 12:43 AM.
    Using Tapatalk

Jr. I'd counter his offer with- send the better of the 2 rangefinders to try out for a bit while you think about it.

Love Life
    Bullshop- Did you take your range readings unsupported? Did you just hold the range finder in your hand or did you have it mounted to a tripod or propped on something? I am looking to upgrade my LRF and I really don't want to shell out the clams for a Terrapin. I just need a range finder that will range game and steel targets smaller than a F-350 without having to be mounted on a tripod...

Boolit Master

IMHO they are fun at the range,non-combatant situations,but I will never stake my life on any lazers,or red dots that operate on battery's, I have seen too many failures,I completely,and firmly believe in the KISS method,less, is less to go wrong!! Someday,hopefully not,I may have a pacemaker,then I will have to accept it! JMO...
    Last edited by GT27; 06-21-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    You can't buy common sense,and stupidity can't be fixed!

Love Life
    We used Leupold and Bushnell rangefinders in Iraq and none of them failed. For the most part, most electronics designed for use in adverse conditions do very well. They are just optimistic about their capabilities....except for vectronix.

Now the vectors...man those are simply amazing!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Bullshop- Did you take your range readings unsupported? Did you just hold the range finder in your hand or did you have it mounted to a tripod or propped on something? I am looking to upgrade my LRF and I really don't want to shell out the clams for a Terrapin. I just need a range finder that will range game and steel targets smaller than a F-350 without having to be mounted on a tripod...
    I was just standing in the doorway of my shop with my shoulder leaning on the door frame and holding the range finder in my hands. I have learned a little trick over the years on how to help steady my binoculars and it works with this too. I pull my hat down tight on my head and put both index fingers up over the brim. That helps a lot to steady the hold. I am pleased with my choice and I believe it will serve my needs well. I will always have a spare battery with me.

Love Life
    Thank you for the info and it helps immensely. I need a rangefinder that can pick up targets out to a 1,000 yds without having to be mounted on a tripod.