Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this symbol???

Boolit Mold
    Used on utility poles to mark danger poles the arrow will be pointing to the bad part of the pole. If pointing down, could be rotten underground. The company I work for we have a set time frame to replace the pole.

BTW, we do tests on poles before climbing, and if I seen one on a pole but it tested good I would climb it. I have even had to guy poles with ropes to make them safe to climb.
    Last edited by Orland; 06-18-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    I have lived at the same house for over 40 years and not one pole on the block has been replaced YET.

How long can they last till the phone, comcast AND power lines come tumbling down?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    I have lived at the same house for over 40 years and not one pole on the block has been replaced YET.

How long can they last till the phone, comcast AND power lines come tumbling down?
    I have been a cable TV lineman for 33 years . Some of those old poles have been in the ground before WWII.

Boolit Master
    It's not the poles. It's the stupid ppinheads who generate the "symbols" for what the message means! Can't speak English? Put up symbols. Wait till the Muklims take over this land. Then you see what symbols means.......................

Your fault, you let it start, you let happen, you let it continue.

That's why your GD car is full of illiteratie symbols.................................
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

In at least one case you're very right.
    Next to me while, I was getting my license renewed, the customer -who couldn't read- was being quizzed on road rules. Even with prompting he had no clue what a red eight sided sign with white lettering meant. Octagon was a foreign language.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    It`s kinda sad that we know what this symbol means, yet alot of folks don`t understand what an octagon shaped red sign with white letters spelling STOP means?Robert

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    It's a Pole Tag indicating a Pole that is dangerous to climb. The arrow points toward the danger. It could be rotten or maybe a clearance problem if it's pointing up.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Where is LLOYD SMALLEY when we need him?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    Might be fun to put one on your buddies tree stand. Provided of course that he's fluent in symbols.

Paul in WNY
    Think you can, or think you can't. Either way your right.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post

most of the poles in the area where I work were set in the late 1940's and early 1950's most are still in very good shape. Our company wanted to do a 60 year change out plan but has fallen to the wayside.

Boolit Master

I think it means, "Aim Higher to hit the X".

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Orland View Post
    most of the poles in the area where I work were set in the late 1940's and early 1950's most are still in very good shape. Our company wanted to do a 60 year change out plan but has fallen to the wayside.
    A lot depends on area, moisture levels and loading. My employers goal is 40 years old or less.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    When I went to work with South Central Bell in '71 I remember an old Toll Line Route that had Chestnut poles which had been set in the early 1900's. They were hard as a rock & would probably still be in use if Fiber had not replaced the whole route.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub

Where were the sign posters when I rode one down in 1968 Ain't been right since. couldn't be casting boolits could it?

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    It`s kinda sad that we know what this symbol means, yet alot of folks don`t understand what an octagon shaped red sign with white letters spelling STOP means?Robert
    +1
    I almost met one of those yesterday and his signs even had the extra "Warning Cross Traffic Does Not Stop" sign posted right below the big red one. The fellow in the passenger seat probably had to change his pants but the driver was good enough to wave so I returned him a salute.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    Where were the sign posters when I rode one down in 1968 Ain't been right since.
    I spent 20 years on the linecrew before taking a desk job in System Operations. Luckily I never had the misfortune to have to ride one down like you did Polecat. Scarey stuff that. At least your still with us to post here!

BTW, great to see so many linehands on the forum!
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

I never road one down, but I cleaned all the gaf splinters off a 60' stadium pole. It took over 7 months to heal. It's kinda funny now, but the humor escaped me at the time.

"This way is not up!"

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Moderator Emeritus

Had a pole in my backyard that was split in 4 pieces and what was there was so rotten I could stick a 12 inch long screwdriver through it.Xcel energy claimed it was fine and didn't need replacing. 2 weeks later we had 75mph winds and down it went. I had documented it as bad via letters and they ended up having to replace my chest freezer when the surges took out the compressor. Made them stick in a taller pole too because the neighbor kids were using the drop to my house as a volleyball net. I could almost hit my head on the lowest part of the drop. My dad started his electrician career as a lineman for a telephone company, then a local electric utility then he started full time as an electrician to get away from climbing and high voltage. Personally I think lineman have to be a little bit insane to work with those voltages!

Boolit Master
    Linemen that work high voltage transmission lines are certified crazy.

Boolit Master

Welcome to the brave new world of "common core" education.
    http://americanthinker.com/2014/06/r...continues.html