Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I'm done with Hornady dies

Boolit Buddy
    I have no experience with Hornady other than their locking rings. I have got rid of all of the little Lee I had and many of the RCBS. I run Redding as much as possible and have no problems. I have found issues with the other companies in one way or another, but not all calibers. It all comes down to personal preference and experience really. All I know is Redding has not let me down like other brands. The RCBS Cowboy dies rank high with me for revolver cartridges too. The Redding usually cost more, but pay once and cry once. YMMV

Boolit Buddy
    Add me to the list of those that do not favor Hornady Dies. The very old ones were "OK" by me. I am not fond of the "New Dimension" and other later dies from them. My experience with their Customer Service has "not been good". I like most of the other brands, including Lee, RCBS, Herters, Pacific, CH, & Lyman. Safeshot
    Getting old is the best you can hope for.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by DR Owl Creek View Post
    I must be living in some kind of alternate universe. The only brand I've ever had a problem with has been Lee, either defective or out of spec right out of the box, or wore out/broke soon after. I got so fed up with everything I had from Lee, I got rid of everything with the Lee name on it, including the manual. Since I replaced everything with Hornady equipment, I couldn't be happier.

Dave
    I kept my Lee manuals but sold or gave away all the other Lee stuff I had. Lee's customer service absolutely sucked to be polite.

I have RCBS, Lyman, Pacific, C&H, Dillon, Hornady and Weatherby dies. I have 2 Dillon and 2 RCBS presses.
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I fought loading up 45 app several months ago. bullets and boolits wouldn't have enough tension to stay put and crimpining it to ensure that swayed them down. I finally wised up and took my fathers dillon sizing die....issue gone. The sizing die was out of spec. I wasted lots of primers brass powder and bullets and boolits with that aggravation. Hornady replaced it, but still left a bad taste in my mouth.

The floating bullet seat guide has been hit or miss for me. I've had them yank boolits out from lube build up, I've had them not fit the nose profile well.

Having to do it over again, I'd of went with Dillon instead of my Lock n load, too. I should have listened to my father. I still haven't sent in for my free bullets. Live and learn.

Ive had so many out of spec parts that even their replacement large primer slide wouldn't work. I called for another replacement for the replacement and the tech commented that I sure have called in for a lot of small parts the last few months. I told him I wish I didn't have to....then There was that awkward silent pause.....he then said my replacement would be here in a few days and thanked me for my business. It arrived as promised and it worked but still needed a slight touch with a stone to bring it down another thousandth on the top to bottom height in order to work properly.

I've been absent from the forum for too long. 4 pages on this subject. I fell into the free bullets with a die purchase trap and bought several sets of Hornady dies. Found Hornady customer service to be **** on several fronts and to make a long story short, I purged my bench of all things Hornady. Felt good when the last die set was shipped, feels even better sharing my bad experience with Hornady that may sway someone away from Hornady when they are looking to purchase ANYTHING for their bench and Hornady's name is in the mix.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.