Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BFR 475 Linebaugh

BFR 475 Linebaugh

Well just sent a money order today to White Eagle for his BFR 475 cant hardly wait for it to get here. I have been wanting something like this for a while. Any one have any idea's what weight bullet works in a BFR. I want to order a mold from Accurate molds for it.

Man, i wish i could tell ya because i wish i had one. Good choice. Do you care to share the barrel length as that may bear on the proper boolit weight

My ignorance stated, i'd gun for a 400-425 grain boolit, LBT shape. Hard alloy, stout charge of h110

The barrel is 7.5 inches . I have H110 and 296 on hand.
    Thanks DrCaveman

Boolit Master
    My brother has one, and I have an F/A. 400 to 440 grain boolits is all we have worked with, and all shot well. LEES inexpensive 400 grain mold makes an excellent practice boolit, and I have shot quite a few 1.5" 50 yd. groups with it. You will be able to get a 425 gr. boolit to 1,350 fps+ easily with your new toy, if you so desire. 8 grains of many of the common powders like Unique, Power Pistol, or even Bullseye make great practice loads that still move a 400 grainer about 900 fps. Have fun.

Banned

400 Lee is good and up to 440 gr. I like my 420 gr. The BFR does not like lighter then 400.
    My load with my 420 gr is 26 gr of 296, Fed 155 primer for 1329 FPS. The Lee was best at 26.5 gr.
    A good light load with the Lee is 15 gr of HS-6. Don't fool with slower.
    Mine is 7-1/2" too and my boolit is very close to an LBT WFN, has done under 1" at 100 yards, under 4" at 400 yards.
    I use water dropped WW's, boolit is a PB. No gas check needed. I use an Ultra Dot on mine.
    My best deer killer ever.
    You want .476" boolits for it. No Keith style.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Good luck with yor new purchase. I emailed Tom at Accurate Molds with the dimensions for a BFR 475L. He redesigned one of his 48-420 flat base bullets for the BFR 475L. Ordered one last night. Mold number 48-420B.
    Rick

Banned

Subsonic's boolit is a great shooter too. My boolit will fit a Freedom and does well but the twist really likes a 350 gr better. I reached 1/2" with a 350 in the Freedom at 50 yards. If I remember, my 420 in the Freedom does about 1-1/2".
    Now the small base band, something I can't explain at all, goes against everything ever written.
    I remember when I got the Lee mold and it is a PB. I questioned it until I started to shoot it, then made my mold a PB too.
    Grease grooves, I proved one GG is not good and went to more to see a huge accuracy difference.
    I still think the huge GG on a Keith was to have more lube after slump. Anyway I have tried Keith styles in all of my BFR's and none come close. A Keith can cause off side wear in a gun.
    Too tight of a cylinder will also do it. One thing I seen with Huntington guns is they have good cylinder side play. Fitting a Belt Mountain pin too tight is not good either. Bank vault lockup is a "feel good" thing.
    I don't think any factory revolver can match a BFR.
    Just don't expect light loads with fast powders to shoot heavy boolits with more then noise. The .475 is a BEAST and needs to be shot that way. It will never be a .38!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Good luck with yor new purchase. I emailed Tom at Accurate Molds with the dimensions for a BFR 475L. He redesigned one of his 48-420 flat base bullets for the BFR 475L. Ordered one last night. Mold number 48-420B.
    Rick
    I think that I will do the same thing Rick, I trust Toms wisdom on molds.
    Loren.

Boolit Master

I have an Accurate 48-420S for my .480R and man it shoots!
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Buddy
    If the 48-420B works well, I will send it to Eric to have one of the cavities hollow pointed.
    Rick

Banned

44 man suggested a good inexpensive mold in the lee 400. Another good one is the rcbs 400 swc. both of those bullets did exceptionaly well in all the 475s ive owned

Banned

The 400 Lee is like the 310 in the .44. It shoots good and when you come out of recoil to see a white belly on the ground, nothing else is needed.
    The caliber is like a .44 on steroids, you do NOT need a HP unless you do not have a meat grinder!Attachment 108009 Running doe at 55 yards, water dropped WW boolit, 420 WFN. I lost no meat at all but this is what they do inside.

Banned

Deer shot in the neck under the chin at 76 yards, exit hole, instant drop. No meat loss at all. Butcher to the hole. Attachment 108013 You need nothing more. Just why do you look for a HP?

Banned

have to agree with 44 man. Ive fooled with hps in the 475 and 500 and found if anything they hurt performance by lack of penetration. Even in the 44 and 45s there not needed. Now in the 357 they do help and even in the 41s in my opinion.

Tom designed the 48-420v for me but it was for a Ruger srh at the time I never imagined I could find/afford a bfr being on a fixed income. Anyway the gun gods shone on me and I ended up with a .475 bfr and if I could only keep one gun it would be the bfr. For the bfr I had Tom cut the 48-405E both molds work great all the way to 100 yards open sights with a 5.5 inch barrel. If I had to do it over I believe the 420b would be a great mold and o would not need 2 molds if I had the 420b. That had been my experience enjoy your new toy

Oh and as far a a HP design for me with the 405 that I designed I had it designed specifically so I wouldn't need a HP so far I've been very happy with it

Thanks for all of the great info guys.

Banned

Very few deer or any animal can withstand the .475. The thing is CRAZY. If I could only have one deer gun, that would be it. My WFN will work on any animal that walks, moose would be toast or buf. So will the Lee.

Boolit Buddy
    Have to agree with 44 Man an Lloyd. A hollowpoint is not needed in the larger diameter pistol calibers. I just like the looks. I am looking forward to the new mold from Tom at a
    Accurate Molds the 48-420B should really shoot in my BFR.
    Rick