WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big lead stash is great till you have to move it

Cool Big lead stash is great till you have to move it

Moved my wheel weights and raw lead stash to the new house yesterday , about 400 to 450 lbs worth , also threw some steel into the truck , I am a hobby machinist, so I have a lot of scrap steel around.promised myself the next hobby will involve lighter stuff, origami, quilting ,

Boolit Master

Yep moved 3 times in last 5 years guns tools weights lead books. Then appliances and furniture. We pray our move here to hard luck acers farms will be the last.

Boolit Master

We moved a few days ago. I got a chuckle out of watching the movers pick up the little boxes of lead.

Boolit Grand Master

Not that a quarter ton is light. But just wait until you have to move a couple tons. Then you can really complain

Boolit Master
    About a year ago I took 1500 lbs of steel to the scrapyard.
    Brought home lead, of course.

Saw an Aussie movie, these guys dug up a huge gold nugget, didn't want anyone to know.
    Started melting it in an iron bathtub, left the heat on while gettin' some beer, tub leaked,
    gold ran downhill & made a new nugget down the street.
    So if you move downhill maybe this could help?

Banned
    Hmmm interesting post. I have managed to get over 700 lbs in the last 6 month and just the other day thought that the pile sure does not look like 700 lbs. I am starting to make wooden boxes for my stock which hold about 50 lbs each. The only way to go I think

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Grand total of almost 4000 pounds, two pallets of lead stacked two buckets high. Gawd, my back hurt for the entire weekend. Plus the smelter, the tools, the brass...moving sucks. Still don't have the shop set up. Getting the house set up first, figured I can work in the shop during winter.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master
    Those of you who have moved recently; which was more difficult, 375 lbs of refrigerator or 375 lbs. of lead?

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

One of the proudest moments of my life occurred when the company I worked for moved my family from CA to TN. Included on the moving van was a wooden crate containing a quarter ton of lead ingots; I didn't have to touch a thing.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Those of you who have moved recently; which was more difficult, 375 lbs of refrigerator or 375 lbs. of lead?

smokeywolf
    lead beats refrigerator any day. Lead fits in manageable boxes.

edit: and worst of all is the piano

Boolit Master
    If you store lead in SMALL CONTAINERS it's not so bad. Just lots of tedious trips.

When you are selecting the containers, ask yourself
    "How much weight can I carry back and forth over and over and over again without hurting my back?"

ADMIN

Don't even get me started when the wife spoke about moving last year.
    I got about 5K lbs of lead and I am guessing almost 1K lbs of gear.
    The lead is in 5 lb ingots so its not that heavy but it does hurt you back after you move all 1000 ingots.. LOL
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    In my case, it'll involve moving it twice. Once to temporary storage and once to next home. 2000 lbs Not looking forward to it. Ron.D

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dilly View Post
    If you store lead in SMALL CONTAINERS it's not so bad. Just lots of tedious trips.
    Dilly has a VERY good point.

My planning for ingot storage was fine.... I had my crew at the mine make an ingot mould that turns out triangular 3-pound ingots designed to fit in a .50-caliber ammo can.... 10.5 inches in length, with enough room at the ends to get a finger in to lift them out (otherwise they nest so tightly it becomes difficult to do so).

This results in a 100-pound load with a full .50 can.

If I had it to do over, I believe the thirty-caliber can is "mo' bettah". I don't know what a .30 can full of alloy will weigh, but it will be more portable than the .50 version, for sure.

One thing is very obvious.... it is a WHOLE lot better/easier to move ingots, than it is to haul buckets of raw wheelweights or other material.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    OK, you guys aren't helping a person who wants to move..................

I've got about 3200lb to have to deal with (& still snipe up more when I can)

I guess I'll find out who my real friends are if/when the time comes to move
    Bob

I try to keep my buckets at 78 lbs. or less. I would rather stack one bucket higher than have to move monster weights. I can feel an extra 5 lbs above 78 lbs. Both when I lift it and for most of the next day.

Pbhurler you may find yourself with fewer friends after 3200 lbs are moved than you had before they started the job.

Boolit Master
    30 years worth of accumulated goodies here. In the process of selling my rental house now. Gotta retrieve a 700 lb. Wells Fargo safe from the garage. I'll have to move that again when we move out of Kali; along with a Bridgeport mill, a 2 ton engine lathe and probably another 2 or 3 tons of: rotary tables, dividing heads, surface plates, 3 rollaways, 5 machinist chests. Comparatively speaking, the lead won't be a problem.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quilting as a hobby can grow large.
    Multiple sewing machines and sergers. King sized quilting machine with a commercial head. Bulky, bulky boxes of batting in multiple weights and types. Fabric can add up to a ton before you know it.
    ...Let me tell you about my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by dnepr View Post
    Moved my wheel weights and raw lead ...promised myself the next hobby will involve lighter stuff, origami, quilting ,

Boolit Master
    OK, you guys aren't helping a person who wants to move..................

I've got about 3200lb to have to deal with (& still snipe up more when I can)

If I were going to move any distance and I had 3200 pounds of lead, I sure as heck would be shooting more than collecting at this point...what are you thinking man! I am only 50 and it would take me 2 weeks just to move out of my garage....time to start paring down the non-essentials brother.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

When I get down to 500lbs. I consider myself almost out of lead.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.