Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which mil surp rifle to acquire next?

Boolit Bub

which mil surp rifle to acquire next?

I am considering the purchase of another mil. rifle, M42/47 8mm or Russian Mosin
    M44 carbine in 7.62-54 R ( brass for this one is very costly) or 91/30.
    Your suggestions? and thoughts.
    I am s little reluctant to purchase without being able to inspect the rifle, due to a
    recent experience.
    Prior to acquiring my present '93', I purchased a spanish short rifle from a firm
    advertising in shot gun news, add stated (dark bores- but safe to shoot- and a
    statement about the short rifle's possible history. When it arrived, I found major
    problems:listed from least serious to most serious.
    #1 Stock broken on left side at front of action inlet.
    #2 Front action Screw had to be drilled out,(was rust welded to floor plate)
    #3 barrel was rust welded to stock about 6" in front of action.
    #4 bore so badly rusted that a bullet could not have got thru it.
    #5 barrel was not tight in action , could unscrew by hand.
    The firm agreed to replace it, but have not received replacement to date.
    I sure enjoy this site
    Ted Kelley

Boolit Master
    Do you have a K31 yet?

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Ted, first do not have any more dealings with the dealer you got your '93 from. There is no excuse for selling you unsafe junk. I have had three 8mm Mausers, ranging from a well worn 1933 Obendorf to a new 1948 Yugo. All were good shooters. 8 X 57 brass is cheap and widely available, or easily formed from .30/'06. I have always found full sized Mausers comfortable to shoot, but the carbines can be a little thumpish with full loads. I have so far avoided all offers of shooting Mosin-Nagant carbines after witnessing the sufferings of the owners.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

You like MilSurps? There is going to be an auction in Las Vegas Saturday where they'll have 400 or 500 of them. (http://www.nyeauction.com/auctions/2...208_terms.html)
    You can bid online before or during the auction. I have to warn you, the prices go high. But they do have some unusual stuff.

Boolit Bub

milsurp rifles

jack19512
    no I don't have a k31,good looking rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    just outside Sulphur Springs in north east Texas
    A must have is the k31.It is a unganly heavy shooting machine.Mine has a beech wood stock that looks like a dog chewed it,don't like the straght pull bolt.But it is the best shooting rifle I own,it seems like I just can't miss with it.I have come to love it.I aim to refinish the stock,give it some color,take the splinters off of it.But I can't find time out from shooting it to get it done.
    God is good all the time

Boolit Bub
    Your best choice would be to get one of each, then look for spares... No, actually, The Ruski carbines are used around here as "ruff and wet" guns, mainly since they are so cheap and ugly. Sure knock down the bambi pests, tho. If you don't have a K31, you oughtta get one. Many that I have looked at have spotless bores and solid wood, and cost you less than a $200 bill. And you get used to that pull bolt. And, they shoot to better than a minute of beercan at a loong way.

Good luck- the Wet Moose

Ted:
    Do you have a C&R FFL if so you should be able to mail order right to your door.

here are my suggestions in no particular order
    Swede 6.5
    Swiss K31( my son does much better right handed with this bolt than I do left handed)
    French MAS 46/56 (this is more fun to shoot than I thought it would be)
    .303 Brit. Jungle carbine
    M1 Garand
    M1 carbine(another ammo garbage disposal)
    03 Springfield
    Carcano 6.5( still trying to make this into a cast bullet shooter)
    M38 Mosin Nagant

get used to eating Ramen noodles, gotta grow the collection.

Banned

24/47 8mm would be my choice.

I had a mosin nagant, it was an ok shooter, but my 8mm mauser ROCKS! Plus the milsurp 7.62x54r ammo is hard to come by any more but 8x57 is popular (well relatively speaking....) in comparison.

Boolit Master

Put me on the K31 bandwagon. You will not regret it. I sure like my Enfields as well, but that Swiss is a shootin rifle, Beaver chewed stock and all.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Blammer;281365]24/47 8mm would be my choice.

QUOTE]

I think the Yugo 24/47's are one of the best buys out there. I have two of them and they are both really good shooters. I really like the 8mm round.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=611

Moderator Emeritus
    Another vote for the K-31...

You can more than likely use your existing .30 cal molds. I size the boolits at .310 for my K-31, but I have read that a lot of people go as small as .308.

John

Smile

"Ruff & ugly?!" Nothing's ugly about a Mosin!
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ted kelley View Post
    I am considering the purchase of another mil. rifle, M42/47 8mm or Russian Mosin
    Your suggestions? and thoughts.
    I am s little reluctant to purchase without being able to inspect the rifle, due to a
    recent experience.
    Prior to acquiring my present '93', I purchased a spanish short rifle from a firm
    advertising in shot gun news, add stated (dark bores- but safe to shoot- and a
    statement about the short rifle's possible history. When it arrived, I found major
    problems:listed from least serious to most serious.
    #1 Stock broken on left side at front of action inlet.
    #2 Front action Screw had to be drilled out,(was rust welded to floor plate)
    #3 barrel was rust welded to stock about 6" in front of action.
    #4 bore so badly rusted that a bullet could not have got thru it.
    #5 barrel was not tight in action , could unscrew by hand.
    The firm agreed to replace it, but have not received replacement to date.
    I sure enjoy this site
    Ted Kelley
    I can see your reluctance. Seems like the most problems I here of arein the 7x57 Spanish mausers and their oversized bores so with luck you have hit bottom and have nowhere to go but up! I have allot of Military surplus rifles and by far it is the worse but there are some good ones out there. Good luck in your hunt and maybe check out a few pawn shops or sporting goods stores that carry some of the old beasts. I'll be sending you a PM.
    Aim small, miss small!

M42/47 8mm or Russian Mosin
    M24/47
    MN 91/30
    MN M44
    In that order..
    Don't discount the Turks...Fine, fine shooters...

Razor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    Seems like the most problems I here of arein the 7x57 Spanish mausers and their oversized bores so with luck you have hit bottom and have nowhere to go but up!

I would agree with this. I don't know if they are all like this or not but I purchased a 7X57 Spanish Mauser, a good looking rifle with a good looking bore but with commercial ammo I couldn't hit the side of a barn at 50 yards. I reload but that was the only 7X57 caliber rifle I had and really didn't want to reload for it so it got sold.

Boolit Bub

Which milsurp rifle?

thanks fellows for your thoughts and suggestions.
    I have decided to go with the 24/47 in 8 mm, (reasons) I now load for 10 calibers and cast for 8 and will soon add 7 & 8mm in
    rifle and hand gun.while the 7.5 X 55 is a .30 , the case is different. the mossins in
    7.62 X54 R , these cases are costly and hard to find. Will let you all know the results
    and how it shoots.
    again thanks
    Ted Kelley

Ted,

Another milsurp is the K98k reworked for the Israelis to 7.62 Nato. Hard to find one with a decent bore, but one re-barreled makes a fine cast shooter.

Nels

Boolit Master
    I sure like my 8mm Turk but think they are mostly dried up by now? Should buy lmore of those 24/47 while they are available.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Should buy lmore of those 24/47 while they are available.

I could be wrong but it looks to me like they are in the process of drying up now. AIM doesn't appear to have any more and Centerfire Systems use to offer two grades of their 24/47's but only offer one grade now. Like I said, I could be wrong.

I have two of the Yugo 24/47's and was lucky enough to get one of them with all matching numbers but there isn't any difference as far as shooting them. I have a 8mm Turk and also like it although it does shoot quite high at 100 yards. I have a taller front sight for it, just haven't had time to shoot it much lately.