Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone dislike loading 9mm?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    9's may be cost-effective when it comes to brass, lead, & powder. But you have not lived until you send a bunch of 255-300gn big guys down range in a 45LC version gun. I do not worry about the cost of the lead.....have plenty of it. I would rather use it on some real big boolits than just sending tiny little peas to visit the target to hear a gun go bang...bang.

I have several friends that just love their various brands of 9's. I have shot them all and just do not get that famous "thrill up my leg" as I do with 38's and big 45LC's. (not to be confused with shooting one's self in the foot!)

But to all those 9 lovers out there, glad you have your piece of heaven! I sure see a lot of 9 brass at the range. It just does not fit my needs.

Good shooting!

banger

Boolit Master

When I handle little bullets and little cases I wear nitrile (blue) rubber gloves. I get a better grip, I don't seem to drop as many bullets on floor.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not overly fond of 9mm, because of a shortened thumb, and numb/stiff index finger.
    Both are the results of a lost battle with a table saw, many years ago.
    9mm is also the only one I ever had trouble with, as far as function and accuracy.

Its not a matter of not liking or liking it. Its just so cheap why bother to reload it.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    When I handle little bullets and little cases I wear nitrile (blue) rubber gloves. I get a better grip, I don't seem to drop as many bullets on floor.
    Now THAT is a dang good idea! That's why I come here. So I can feel stupid that I didn't think of something so simple but effective. I've been needing to hit Harbor Freight again. Time to get a box or two. Might help ole ham fist here when lube sizing too.
    Thanks.

Boolit Master

IMO the cases & bullets are a little smaller but no real problem !
    I also load for the 380 & 32 acp never thought they were a problem either, As enjoy reloading !

Boolit Master
    I'm loading for a .380 ACP which is a "mini me" 9mm. on a single stage press. Takes some time but it is relaxing once the rythm gets set. Picked up some .32 and .25 range brass in a grab. Now those two calibers would be way to small for my big fingers to handle.

To what several have said, the cost benefit analysis doesn't add up for me. I don't shoot much 9 so when friends bring them over, I just buy a box at WalMart as they're .24c each there (& getting easier to find in the shelf with no limits too). I do save the brass to trade though.

I also tend to shoot quickly with autos so the time investment of casting and loading outweighs the benefit. If you have time and want to put forth effort, I don't see a problem with it.

All that said, I prefer 45 auto for my 1911 and revolver calibers like 357,41,44 & 45colt. They're easy to handle at the bench and I enjoy light loads in the magnum calibers for popping tin cans.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Now THAT is a dang good idea! That's why I come here. So I can feel stupid that I didn't think of something so simple but effective. I've been needing to hit Harbor Freight again. Time to get a box or two. Might help ole ham fist here when lube sizing too.
    Thanks.
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought that exact same thing when I read that.

Quote Originally Posted by plmitch View Post
    Its not a matter of not liking or liking it. Its just so cheap why bother to reload it.
    I hear this argument a lot and I just can't comprehend it.

If I were to buy a case (1000 rds) it's in the $250-300 range. With my cast boolits I'm at $60 a case if I'm lazy/busy $120 case for plated/FMJs.

I shoot close to a case a month (fluctuates 800-1000 on average) I couldn't imagine not reloading.

Boolit Buddy
    I had more of a learning curve with 9, than with any other caliber. I quit loading 9's in the 90's, when I could buy blazer at Academy for $3.89. I couldn't buy 100 fmj's for that. It's coming back around here, but it's still $12-$13 a box.

It's also the only pistol round I seat and crimp in 2 steps. After slugging a whole bunch of 9's, I've never saw a true .355.

Boolit Master
    As is. My old arthritic fingers leave a little to be desired handling any size shell these days. {10 ga. hulls seem to be about easiest of them all for me.} If indeed trying to shave costs these days osteodoc08. Only one pistol can I think of that truly shaves cost. Yup Benjamin 22 cal. No bang but its got a wallop.

Boolit Buddy

I save at least $10 for every 50 I cast & load. That's worth it to me.

It's well worth it to me.

Boolit Bub
    Yes, I guess it helps that the barrel on my 9mm is .357, and my mold drops them at .358. Like I said before, what works for one person, may very well not work for another. I try to stay proficient with all my carry weapons; which one I carry depends on where I'm at. Around home, it's usually the .357 Mag, with hollow points, because it is the largest handgun I own. This is for protection from wildlife. Around my mom's, I carry the 9mm because it gives me 16 rounds before reloading, for large groups of 2 legged wildlife. I know I would never be able to get enough practice with either one to feel comfortable carrying it without reloading and casting.

Boolit Master
    I can cast for this round and load it for less than $75 per thousand. It ain't that cheap! Lol!

I would like to have a 1911 chambered in 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by jwber View Post
    I hear this argument a lot and I just can't comprehend it.

If I were to buy a case (1000 rds) it's in the $250-300 range. With my cast boolits I'm at $60 a case if I'm lazy/busy $120 case for plated/FMJs.

I shoot close to a case a month (fluctuates 800-1000 on average) I couldn't imagine not reloading.
    As long as I can get a box for $20.00 at the LGS its not going to kill me to buy a dozen of so each month. Can't see that busting anyones budget. So not worth my time to cast for or reload for.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Boolit Grand Master
    Given that's 240 bucks a month and equivalent to a car payment I can see where that would bust my budget. Nobody picks up their 9mm empties on my range so they are free.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    Given that's 240 bucks a month and equivalent to a car payment I can see where that would bust my budget. Nobody picks up their 9mm empties on my range so they are free.
    I agree. That $240 would buy me enough primers and powder to load almost 3000 rounds of 9mm. That amounts to almost $1000 savings for me!
    My lead is nearly free so the cost stays minimal.
    Since I reload about 100 an hour on my single stage press, it would take me about 30 hours to load 3000 rounds. That means I would be getting paid $33 an hour to load shells. Better money than I made at my job the last 40 years.
    Last edited by tazman; 05-21-2014 at 10:11 PM.