Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tell me about the Lee turret press; the good, bad, and ugly.

Ok my Simple thinking is that unless you are a high volume reloader then I would highly suggest to take a hard look at the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press.

Before I purchased the LCCTP I had a couple of RCBS Single Stage Presses and a T7 Turret as well as a Lyman T Mag II. I Got the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press and after using the Lee just 1 time I sold the T7 and the Lyman T Mag II and never looked back. I still do not know why I kept the RCBS Single stage as it has not been back on my bench since I mounted the Lee a few years ago. Maybe I kept the RCBS out of nostalgia or in case I decided to have a press that I could grab and take someplace for grins. But at any rate even if just starting out I will tell people to get the Lee Classic Cast Turret press and just forget about those single stage presses. I sure wish when I started loading in 2007 someone told me that lol. So yes I feel the LCCTP is dang hard to beat if at all. But if you are going to be loading volumes of ammunition then I would say to get the Dillon. But like myself and probably most reloaders that do not shoot Volumes of ammo or like to load small batches of different types of ammo or even trying out new loads the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press will fill that position very nicely.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

JesterGrin, you said it very well. This is what I keep trying to tell people in California. For the hobbyist reloader, the Classic Turret Press will serve very well.
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

I've had my 3-hole Lee Turret press for somewhere around 25+ years. I load .38Spl, .357, 9mm, .45ACP, .44Mag, .30 Carbine, .223/5.56, .243, .308, 7.62x39, .270, .30-06. Who knows how many thousands of rounds have been loaded on this old thing. Crimping gets done on Lee Challenger Breech Block press.

All .40-65 gets done on the Challenger.

Weakest point on the Turret press is the nylon indexing gear, I always keep 3-4 on hand.

Now that the kids are moved on to college, my shooting time is increasing and thus my need to reload more and more efficiently. Sadly, our daughters never got the shooting bug as hard as I did.

That said, I'm looking at replacing the Turret press with a Hornady LNL AP or Dillon, not sure about 550 or 650. Hornady will most likely be the one due to $$ and ease of caliber changes.
    Jerry

“The right is absolute ... government has no authority to forbid me from owning a firearm ... the debate is not about guns. It is about freedom.” - Cal. State Sen. Tom McClintock, 6/9/2001

Boolit Man
    Like many others have said, after years of single stage, I don't know if I can go back. I really like my LCT press. Get the double disk set and the fine adjustment disk for the powder dump. Don't forget the rifle powder through riser. It makes the mounting of the powder drop easier. All in all, money very well spent.

I started with a single stage, then the Classic turret press. Sold it and got a Loadmaster-*** then went to a LnL Ap. Now I miss the simple turret for smaller batches and don't have the time/patience to load on the single stage. Picked up the one on ebay prior to the price going up. Should have it tomorrow. The classic turret is the best press for the money IMHO.
    Also no multi stage press is without some issues but they are minimal on the Lee classic.