Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone dislike loading 9mm?

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone dislike loading 9mm?

I thought I would be resourceful and start loading for my 9mm. I'd use less powder and lead, 2 precious commodities for us these days. I have 2. A sig P226 Tac-Ops and a Ruger P-89. I bought a mould, got some cast up, boolits looking purdy, etc. Then came the sizing and lubing and the loading. I've never had my fingers and hands cramp so bad holding onto those itty bitty cases and boolits! I'm really starting to dislike loading them. Even 40/10mm is not a favorite of mine. I much prefer 45acp reloading and my revolver cartridges, 38/357, 41, 45colt. I much prefer 41mag and 45 Colt. Easier to grasp and move around. No hand cramping, etc.

Am I alone on this? I may just give up on the 9mm and shoot other stuff again. I dont like chasing my brass anyhow.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I thought I would be resourceful and start loading for my 9mm. I'd use less powder and lead, 2 precious commodities for us these days. I have 2. A sig P226 Tac-Ops and a Ruger P-89. I bought a mould, got some cast up, boolits looking purdy, etc. Then came the sizing and lubing and the loading. I've never had my fingers and hands cramp so bad holding onto those itty bitty cases and boolits! I'm really starting to dislike loading them. Even 40/10mm is not a favorite of mine. I much prefer 45acp reloading and my revolver cartridges, 38/357, 41, 45colt. I much prefer 41mag and 45 Colt. Easier to grasp and move around. No hand cramping, etc.

Am I alone on this? I may just give up on the 9mm and shoot other stuff again. I dont like chasing my brass anyhow.
    They ARE a pain, and that has kept down my ardor for casting for and loading .380's, and God Forbid, .25ACP!
    I wanted to use some light cast boolits for popcorn loads in the 38 Special, and have a nice little 2-banger that throws 93-gr boolits. Well. I tried the Star, then I tried the Lachmillers, and handling those little pills with these big lunch-hooks was impossible. Decided to try TL, and haven't looked back. I'm now a TL believer, at least for pistol boolits.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master

osteodoc08,

Looks like you need a CASE FEEDER along with a BULLET FEEDER.

Boolit Bub
    I've had people tell me that as well. I load both 9 mm for me and .380 Auto for my wife. I've gotten a lot of free brass from folks who don't like loading "those tiny little cases." To each his own. I don't mind it, because it keeps me shooting. Shooting is supposed to be fun. If it becomes a tedious chore, then it's not worth it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonman View Post
    osteodoc08,

Looks like you need a CASE FEEDER along with a BULLET FEEDER.
    Thanks for the offer, I'll send you my address.

At least I'm not the only one that dislikes loading those lil buggers.

Boolit Master
    They are a pain and my 9mm guns are very picky as far as seat height goes.

I try to stick to revolver calibers. They are more fun to shoot anyway.

Boolit Grand Master

Out of all the handguns I have loaded for: 32 acp, 38 S&W, 380 auto, 38 spcl. , 357 mag. , 41 mag. , 45 acp , 45 colt , the 9mm luger is the one that gives me the most trouble. Just seems there is always some problem going on and the guns are picky, picky, picky about what they will feed, fire and eject. And picky about bullet size and nose profile. The easiest are 38/357 and 45 acp. If I had started reloading for a 9mm, way back when, I would have probably given it up out of frustration! Nobody reloaded but me so I had to teach myself, no sites like this to ask for help...luckly the 38 spcl. was much kinder to a new reloader.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    I've yet to have any trouble out of 9mm. Add that to the fact that I can shoot them cheaper than the going rate for .22LR, I'll get over the difficulty

Boolit Master

Cast and load the 22 Hornet and then try 9mm again to feel the difference.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

I loaded 9MM for a while. Slow is the key. All my loads worked well. I sold the P89, that ended that!

Boolit Buddy
    .40 is the smallest i seem to be able to load without cursing
    and i have plenty of 9mm to load ugggg ear plugs for the Fair Lady!

Tapered cases are a PITA! But I have all my 9mm brass loaded up and ready to go! Just another part of the learning process.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Hate it! Without a doubt the worst caliber I load for. I avoid loading them like the plague. I wish I did not even have it. I buy and shoot FMJ commercial ammo mostly for it. Around here 9mm ammo is coming back and is actually fairly cheap! And it is only for self defense anyway, so as long as it goes bang and sends the boolit at the baddy, that is all that matters. I have not seen a 9mm with any decent accuracy. I consider it a "side of the barn" close up & personal gun.

I know others will definitely disagree and just love their 9's, but when I am shooting at a target, I choose my 40 S&W XD-M, 38's, or 45's. Now THOSE are deadly accurate!

banger

Boolit Master

9mms are not a problem!
    Brass is free for the pickup at our pistol club or from the brass bucket
    that nice folks leave behind after they sweep up

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I absolutely hate everything about loading the nine, but SWMBO has one, and I bought another one just so I could shoot up some of the ammo I still have rat-holed from when I was issued an M9, so load I must. And now Numbah One Son just bought his SWMBO a .380, so I'll have to tool up for that little rat too...

Boy you guys are picky..
    I actually enjoy Reloading the 9mm. Have had a bit of a time with getting the oal right along with the diameter to get the plunk test right. And can pick up brass pretty easy also.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post

That RCBS looks lonely, you should send it my way!

Boolit Master
    why handle them?

progressive press takes the fidgety fingers out of the equation.

Boolit Master
    9mm is the only gun I have that I don't load for or own the dies for.

Only when it's S&B brass