RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I got a bullet REALLY stuck

Boolit Buddy

Mercury

I thought about mercury too but the question is, where do you get it? Time to break open an old thermostat or what? Just don't announce it if you do or the EPA will condemn your house!

The OP already has the brass rod to use as a drill, it's safe on the rifling and it'll work on the CoW too.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    I've drilled out a stuck billet and Ruger had to replace my barrel.

The "case capacity " is now larger so load up a couple more 2, 2.5 blanks and fill with toilet paper. It will shoot out but needs more powder for the same PSI

I recently got a bullet and a wood dowel stuck in my barrel. Wound up having to drill the lil SOB out.

If you go that route, I suggest wrapping electrical tape at certain points on the drill bit to keep the bit centered in the barrel.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    Where can one purchase mercury?

prs
    google is your friend. try any science supply store
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NVScouter View Post
    The "case capacity " is now larger so load up a couple more 2, 2.5 blanks and fill with toilet paper. It will shoot out but needs more powder for the same PSI
    I'm not sure about that. I already have two case gulls of CoW packed in behind the bullet. I pushed a wire up from the chamber end and it only goes about 6 inches past the action, and the bullet is about 6 inches from the muzzle. So that works out to about 6 inches of **** packed into the barrel behind the bullet.

Feeling a little smarter today.....for a guy in this situation anyway. Filed a spade onto the end of my brass rod and spun it in the drill. Some lead came out. I can actually see the bullet down from the muzzle. The spade kept wearing out, but made a good cone shaped hole in the center of the bullet. I cut some thread on the back side of a 1/8 drill bit and screwed it into a cleaning rod. Pushed it agains the bullet, attached some vise grips to the rod and leaned in on the handle slowly turning the vise grips.

It was def cutting into the bullet and after a while I pulled it out and it had CoW on the end of the bit. So I'm threw a short bullet and have a ways to go yet, but getting there. Will keep at it, taking a little bit out at a time and I should get all the way thru.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	105396

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	105397
    Last edited by mattd; 05-19-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Boolit Buddy
    Im past the lead now. A couple inches anyway. My problem now is there is a lip between the drill bit and where it screws in the the rod. I worked it till that lip is sitting on the bullet and won't let me go any further. It's all Cream of Wheat and Dacron now. I've been using a small diameter rod, really a stiff wire, to poke at it and moving slowly. The Kroil probably soaked in and expanded it. Any ideas?

Boolit Buddy

Mercury and CoW

My bad. Mercury at a reasonable price. I've seen it on eBay too, etc. A hundred bucks a pound is a bit steep! I seem to recall mercury used to be listed on the commodity exchange. It was in 76 pound flasks. I don't recall it being that expensive though. A pound would unstick a hundred or so bullets. I guess if you were going to stick THAT many....

Dang! That much CoW! No wonder the boolit wouldn't move when tapped on.

Gotta keep chipping away. MAYBE if you can pass a 17 caliber brush down the bore?

If you have the means, a deck screw welded to a rod and pull out like they do with muzzle loader.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master

This thread has raised a point on which I am ignorant. What does mercury do to lead? Does it dissolve the lead? And if so, how much is needed? I took geology instead of chemistry. And dad would never let me a chemistry set as a kid. mikey

Boolit Buddy

My non chemistry 4:30AM answer is it basically turns the lead to slush. Seems about 1:1 would work.

Sir Winston Churchill

Herbert Agar

434-1

I'm not tryin' to poke an open wound mattd...
    But what led you believe it was possible to shoot the stuck boolit out with COW in the first place??
    I hate to say it, but I'm thinkin' the odds of a bulged barrel are pretty good.

Boolit Mold
    If I remember rightly from metallurgy courses I took in college, steel gets stronger as it heats until it gets to around 700 degrees, then weakens rapidly. The lead will melt before that temp is reached. I removed 7 bullets stacked up in a S&W 29 barrel by slowly raising the temperature in an oven until they melted and ran out. Go Slow!

Banned

Once a boolit sticks it is best to use a brass rod at the start, never try to shoot it out. I can't count those I have removed.
    Heat helps and I use a hot air gun that does not go past 400* ( heat gun for covering model airplanes.) to warm stuff, don't heat the boolit or it will expand too. I have never had to heat to remove a boolit though.
    To melt lead out is not good on the steel at all. 300* is used to temper steel, enough to change grain structure.
    You don't need much heat to expand steel. I had to remove many barrel nuts from DW revolvers and just used a hose and funnel to pour boiling water through the barrel to expand it. Nuts would spin right off.
    How does one stack 7 boolits in a barrel without ruining it?
    Be aware a brass drill and even aluminum can gouge steel. Best was the small drill through a tube. Use a lot of cutting oil and remove the drill often to clear chips or it will bind up. Lead is a hard thing to drill. Stay as far away from wood dowels as you can.

CoW is a projectile, like a bullet. Barrel is toast. Bulged big time.

Boolit Buddy
    From 1 grain of unique?

Boolit Master
    I'm betting with the low charge weights, the barrel is just fine. I imagine most of the miniscule gas pressure just ran back past the fired case. I'm sure we will find out soon.

Banned

I don't expect pressure damage, just the drilling operation. Nobody knows how many revolvers have been saved from the dreaded SEE event by the gap. But 1 gr will sure pack COW behind a boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by mattd View Post
    From 1 grain of unique?
    Do you have any idea how much pressure 1 grain of Unique (or any powder) will create in a closed or sealed container?? A .22 barrel don't provide much room for expansion at all... and the COW made it even less. I'm not sayin' you have a bulged barrel... I'm sayin' a bulged barrel (or ringed chamber) will be no surprise whatsoever.

Tryin' to "shoot" the blockage clear of a barrel is not a good idea... ever.
    I'm still wonderin' what led you believe it was possible (or safe) to shoot the stuck boolit out with COW in the first place??

Banned

True, a rifle is SEALED so we will see.

I challenge your middle of nowhere, and raise you 5.
    Might as well try shooting some bacon and eggs up there with that cream of wheat. Make it a full breakfast.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself)
    Last edited by BBQJOE; 05-18-2014 at 03:18 PM.
    Guns should only be allowed in places where people don't want to be shot.