RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this look like leading?

Boolit Master

Does this look like leading?

Sorry just getting started and wanted to make sure I am close. I am using lee 124 gr 6 cavity 9mm with 3:1 pb:lino water dropped. This is after 5 shots and there seems to be more than the photos show. Is this leading our too much lube?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140504_180836.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	104103

Name:	20140504_180727.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	104102

Name:	20140504_180639.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	104101
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

What happens when you run a patch through it?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

#1 sure looks like leading. Put some turpentine on a patch which is as tight as you can bump through the bore and the lead will come out. May take 3 or 4 patches.

#3 looks sort of like maybe the boolit is not seated deep enough and is shaving lead on the chamber.

Boolit Master

It would help us a lot if you said what was done to the barrel as far as cleaning goes, before you took the picture. To me, a lot of what is in the picture looks proud of the barrel steel as apposed to being ironed into it.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

I'd say run a dry patch to remove any loose powder fouling and let's have another look

Run a patch and see if it is powder/lube residue. Looks like it could be just residue, cause you can see it at the step in the barrel.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmm_3940 View Post
    #3 looks sort of like maybe the boolit is not seated deep enough and is shaving lead on the chamber.
    Not seated deep enough into the case?

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    It would help us a lot if you said what was done to the barrel as far as cleaning goes, before you took the picture. To me, a lot of what is in the picture looks proud of the barrel steel as apposed to being ironed into it.
    I did not do a thing to the barrel. "proud" not sure what that means!
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

Proud means standing tall, as in higher than the barrel steel, the particles in your barrel look like debre that is loose and just hanging there. Most times leading has an ironed on ( pressed in look )
    If you did nothing to the barrel then run a patch or two through it and take another look and another Pic. Could be a little leading there, but if the barrel has not had a patch or two through it then it can be hard to tell.

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

Boolit Master
    so I could not find any patches. I ended up using a paper towel once through.

Name:	20140507_164647.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	104255

Name:	20140507_164434.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	104256

​Mentor

Boolit Master

you own guns, you shoot said guns, how do you clean them without any patches ?
    Do you have any solvent ? brushes? (= more than one,) chore boy, 0000 steel wool ?
    Have you ever truly cleaned a firearm ? Let me ask, what do you think the crud in your barrel is ?
    Stay tuned I am sure help is on the way. We will get you all straightened out.

Boolit Master

Old tshirts are my patches of choice. cut to about 1 inch square. possible leading near muzzle. run a wet patch then a dry and see what it looks like. then brush several strokes with a bronze brush. if it persists it's lead and you need some chore boy. it may just be powder fouling and come right out. lead at the muzzle indicates running out of lube. how are your boolits lubed?

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the hazing Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    Old tshirts are my patches of choice. cut to about 1 inch square. possible leading near muzzle. run a wet patch then a dry and see what it looks like. then brush several strokes with a bronze brush. if it persists it's lead and you need some chore boy. it may just be powder fouling and come right out. lead at the muzzle indicates running out of lube. how are your boolits lubed?
    That is what I use as well. Just getting the reloading room in the newish house in order and cannot find what I did with them. I used Alox to lube them.

​Mentor

Boolit Master

Old Tees seem to be a standard. I use them too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    I'd say run a dry patch to remove any loose powder fouling and let's have another look
    Yep.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    My mother-in-law lives with us and will only sleep on flannel sheets, I have a lifetime supply of cleaning patches. Cut up into squares and dipped into Ed's red solvent I can clean up just about anything. If it takes more to remove lead, which I do not remember the last I had to use it, there is always a little wrap of Choryboy around the cleaning brush.
    Lead is an inevitability in life, sooner or later you are going to have to deal with it! It is no big deal.

tg32-20

Boolit Master

Thanks for the hazing Wolf.

Nothing bad meant by it Joe, Ya just had me wondering for a Second.

Clean it up and happy shooting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    Nothing bad meant by it Joe, Ya just had me wondering for a Second.

Clean it up and happy shooting.
    I know. I just have this personality if it is staring me dead in the face I am still hesitant. I'm a dummy.

Anyway I will get some solvent with a patch then put up some photos.

​Mentor

Banned

What does the barrel measure?

What are you sizing to?

What lube are you using?

What is the load you are using?

Are you using a Lee FCD?

Answer these then we can help you to not get leading anymore.

Boolit Mold
    Just curious... have any of you tried Powder Coating your cast bullets? Been doing this for quite some time. Better accuracy, able to increase velocity and much less leading of my barrels. bp