RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky

Thread: Savage rifles.

Savage rifles.

Last fall I came across a Savage model 10 in .308W for a good price. I believe Savage makes the most accurate out of the box production rifle available. (I already have 5 of them). I have never owned a .308 so I bought it. Finally got a chance to try it out last week. Being a paper patcher I tried some of my 311041 I have stocked up for my 30-30. Started with 41.0gr of Varget and it grouped just over 1.5” for five at 100yds. Increased to 42 and groups got better. Accuracy peaked at 44.0 gr. At just over 3/4” Wow! Decided to test jacketed so used the same load under a 168gr bthp from Serria. Accuracy was just a tad better @ .661 average for 10 five shot groups. I do love a Savage!
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    BS Mom picked up a Stevens Mod 200 which is a Savage 110 with round rear receiver 30/06 NIB for $275.00 two weeks ago. In light of our recent discussion about cast versus jacketed pressures I would like to know what your chrono has to say about those loads.
    Savage is a natural for switch barrel combos.
    The barrel nut system has a self aligning nature about it. Unlike other barrel mounting it pulls the barrel away from the receiver instead of torqueing against it. The pulling away I believe allows the barrel to align under the stress and pressure of firing.
    Other barrel mounting systems need to be trued at the lathe but the Savage is trued on firing.
    This barrel mounting has so proven its worth that it now seems to be the predominant mounting system in the industry. Just look at how many brand names are now using the same system.
    It was designed to keep production cost down but as a bonus just turns out to be a better system at least for mas produced rifles.

I rarely use my chrno. Mostly when I change powder lots. I do know the patched bullets hit a bit higher on the target than the jacketed. Going to try the same load with the 311414 next. Stay tuned for more info.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pdawg_shooter View Post
    ... Accuracy peaked at 44.0 gr. At just over 3/4” Wow! Decided to test jacketed so used the same load under a 168gr bthp from Serria. Accuracy was just a tad better @ .661 average for 10 five shot groups. ...
    FWIW. That load is really close to my usual load with jacketed: Nosler Custom Competition HPBTs with 44.5 grains of Varget.

Dave

1 Corinthians 1: 18-21

My accuracy, with the PP bullets started dropping off a bit at 44.5. The alloy was 70% COWWs and 30% Linotype. Maybe a bit more Linotype would allow a bit more speed, by why? If the 44.0 gr load wont kill a deer than I have a 45-70 (and quite a few others) that will.

Boolit Buddy
    P.D. I always read your post with great interest. A question please-if you were in search of the most cast friendly,paper patch friendly and yes,economic rifle to purchase what would your choice be? I am months from the three quarter mark and may have need of a scope,can't see as well as I used to,don't own a rifle that is tapped for scope. Thanks lreed

#1 Savage, #2 Marlin with Ballard rifling (Micro groove works fine, but takes a bit more work to develop the right load). I have a Mark X I bought as a barreled action in 30-06 that loves PP bullets. I also have a 25-06 that loves them, but I no longer patch for. I built it with a FN 400 Supreme action and a #5a contour Douglas barrel. My .458 Win. with a 1/20 Douglas barrel does great AFTER I recut the throat and leade. Fact is, the only rifle I could NOT get to shoot PPs was a 700 Rem in 338-06, and I tried every trick I knew. That rifle no longer resides here. My SMLE #4 Mk2 likes them fine, even jacketed bullets size to .304 and patched back up.

Boolit Buddy
    Savage has a dandy way to adjust headspace, The barrel just screws on and is locked with a nut. Frank C.

Boolit Grand Master

All of my Savages shoot better than I am capable of holding!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    ... Being a paper patcher I tried some of my 311041 I have stocked up for my 30-30. Started with 41.0gr of Varget and it grouped just over 1.5” for five at 100yds. Increased to 42 and groups got better. Accuracy peaked at 44.0 gr. At just over 3/4” Wow! ...
    Could you give me some more specifics on your load?
    Did you size your 311041 down in two steps?
    What type and weight of paper did you use?
    Did you run the patch over the ogive?
    Were the tails twisted and clipped?
    What lube, if any?
    Size vs. throat dimensions?
    Neck tension?
    How did you seat it?
    Etc.?

Thanks

Dave

Mark 13: 3-37

The bullet was sized 302 and wrapped very wet with 16# green bar printer paper. The patch was wrapped from just past the start of the ogive. The nose section of this mold has been lapped to drop .303, so the full length of the bullet was wrapped. I do twist and trim tails when dry, After drying overnight, the tails were clipped, the patch was lubed with BAC (any lube will do, even lard). The patched bullet was pushed through a .309 die to remove excess lube and "iron on" the patch. Finished diameter was just a hair over .310, just about perfect for the throat in this rifle. They were loaded in once fired un-sized brass, left long so the bolt closing finished seating the bullet. If I hunt with this load I will neck size the brass after outside neck turning for uniform pull. I will set overall length to engrave the rifling .010 or so, if that length will fit the magazine (I think it will). I always get best accuracy using a powder that will give me as close as possible to 100% load density at an acceptable velocity. Hope this helps you out. BTW, the brass is LC 09 and the primer is CCI #200.
    Last edited by pdawg_shooter; 05-07-2014 at 04:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    Te bullet was sized 302 and wrapped very wet with 16# green bar printer paper. The patch was wrapped from just past the start of the ogive. The nose section of this mold has been lapped to drop .303, so the full length of the bullet was wrapped. I do twist and trim tails when dry, After drying overnight, the tails were clipped, the patch was lubed with BAC (any lube will do, even lard). The patched bullet was pushed through a .309 die to remove excess lube and "iron on" the patch. Finished diameter was just a hair over .310, just about perfect for the throat in this rifle. They were loaded in once fired un-sized brass, left long so the bolt closing finished seating the bullet. If I hunt with this load I will neck size the brass after outside neck turning for uniform pull. I will set overall length to engrave the rifling .010 or so, if that length will fit the magazine (I think it will). I always get best accuracy using a powder that will give me as close as possible to 100% load density at an acceptable velocity. Hope this helps you out. BTW, the brass is LC 09 and the primer is CCI #200.

pdawg shooter,

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

BTW. Great shooting!

Dave

Daniel 12: 1-13

Any time. Any more questions PM me or email me. m1895g@gmail.com. Good luck and have fun.