RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: I need help either finding or deigning a Ruger Old Army bullet.

Boolit Bub

I need help either finding or deigning a Ruger Old Army bullet.

I need help either finding or deigning a Ruger Old Army bullet. I have seen the Kaido Conicals and that is the bullet I want but I have told he is not making anymore.
    The application will use 100% lead from Rotometals.
    The host receiver will be 7 1/2 standard Ruger Old Army.
    I think the deign I want will look like the 454424 255 Keith NOE made about two years back but the bands will work with black powder in the cylinder, not used in a cylinder using a metallic casing, or shell.
    I would want to have a minimal 4 inch group at 35 – 50 feet.
    I would to have about 500 feet pounds energy at that 35 - 50 feet.
    I want the bullet to fit into a 'Classicballistx' fluted cylinder so the bullet will not "creep" when shot.
    Since I will cast these for me, I would like to have two holes in the mold, one for the point.
    I may want to use steel or brass for the mold so it will keep and transfer the heat better and will not damage the pins.
    If I am not dreaming, please contact me about it and shoot me a cost.

Thanks, Robert

I would like to have a bullet in the 250 grain area and I would like to have the option to have a hollow point bullet. If the hollow point bullet is used it will look after this has been shot:
    (*I understand this bullet is NOT a Keith style bullet but I want the bullet to work like this)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fullscreen capture 4262014 124857 PM.jpg  
    Last edited by robertmcw; 04-26-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Boolit Master
    Tom at Accurate Molds can make anything you like and help you when you're not sure. Take a look at the catalog and pick one to modify. Then you send it to Erik at Hollow Point Mold Service.

I have on of the Accurate truncated cone bullets in .454 (and that is what they drop). Though I bought mould for .45 Auto and .45 Colt, the bullet works well in my Old Army over about 32 gr. of 3fg KIK. You need to have your cylinder first and measure the chambers, then get a bullet .001 or .002 under size. When the bullet seats on the bp charge, pressure from the bullet ram will bump it us so it is tight in the chamber and will not creep. You will find that a 250 grain bullet does not leave much room for a powder charge and the rifling pitch is a bit slow for such a heavy slug. I have found that a 200 to 230 grain bullet works best.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Have you ever used the Lee mold for the Old Army? The mold is discontinued. I have one, a DC, don't know where I got it; I've never owned or used an OA Ruger. This mold is new, never used, old stock, no box. If interested I can post pics.

In Remembrance

I have the Lee 2cav. mould, and I also use RCBS 454 -255 swc with good accuracy. I use Pyrodex as that is all I can get and put powder in then pack it with the ram, add a little more and seat a lubed boolit. I don't remember the amount of powder used as I haven't shot anything but balls in several years. I just experimented with adding more until I had to trim the nose of the boolit to get I to rotate over the barrel, the use the lesser charge.
    Mine is really accurate with the .457 ball. A bevel base boolit is a great aid in seating the boolit straight, which will prevent boolit creep under recoil.

Boolit Bub
    I have a older Lyman 45468 Hollow Base for the Ruger Old Army but I wanted a little thump. I have watched and read the write-up about the new molds for the Kaido bullet are now being made to throw a 255 grain bullet that will have the strong flat-point design common to Keith-style revolver bullets (http://hoveyhunts.com/2011/08/06/mod...n-revolvers-k/) but it seems it is not available.

If anyone could spare a few that could be awesome. I would happy to send a couple pesos for them.....

RM
    Last edited by robertmcw; 04-26-2014 at 07:20 PM.

the 45 caliber Lee R.E.A.L. bullets have done well for me in the OA.Erik A hollowpoint mold service can hollow point it if you want.It would be about $100 investment
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Master

I use these - Work great in the ROA...

http://www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.a...9-68ebfdaba982

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Be aware that the front sight on the ROA is set up for round balls and if you shoot a bullet heavier than about 200 grains the point of impact will be high, even with the rear sight bottomed out. The Lee 200-grain R.E.A.L. is your best bet in a production mold, or the 250-gr. version if you have replaced the front sight with one about 1/8" higher than the factory front sight. The 250-gr. R.E.A.L. with 30 grs. (bulk measure) of Pyrodex P gives 880 fps and 2-inch groups at 25 yards from my ROA, same as blackpowder .45 Colt in a 7-1/2" barrel.