Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Frankfort Arsenals new platinum rotary tumbler

Boolit Master

Anyone tried Frankfort Arsenals new platinum rotary tumbler

I have considered getting into wet tumbling with SS pins. The Frankfort Arsenal platinum series tumbler seems like a really good deal, if it will hold up to long term used. Even comes with 5lbs of SS pins. Anyone tried one yet?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/713...y-case-tumbler
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Banned

If it is anything like their regular brass tumblers, no thanks.

Boolit Master

Really I have one of there regular tumblers and it works great. I have had it for a few years and have tumbled a lot of brass.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by glockky View Post
    Really I have one of there regular tumblers and it works great. I have had it for a few years and have tumbled a lot of brass.

Yeah, this has been my experience as well.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Seems SS pins are becoming one of the main ways to clean brass now. A bit more work but I do like the results.
    Other folks see it as a bit much
    to each his own--that's why we have Fords and Chevys
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Being as its a Frankfort Arsenal product its more than likely another quality product from china.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Banned

Ha ha exactly! Mine lasted a year. Wires kept breaking off till there was nothing left to wire to.

Boolit Master
    I had to fix my standard tumbler the first year, and it died after the third. I dont know if I would trust it after my experience. Honestly, for the price they want for it, and the materials it is made from you can do much better on your own, or just use a double drum HF tumbler and save your money. That little HF rock tumbler has cleaned more brass in a year than the FA standard did in three.

I use an older RCBS Sidewinder. The cap is a slip fit that is easy to take off and does not leak. I have two barrels, one for stainless pins and the other filled with dry media to dry and polish cases.
    Last edited by detox; 03-31-2014 at 06:00 AM.

Boolit Master

I have often looked at the RCBS tumbler but i got sticker shock !
    There was a used one at a LGS for $175.00 and i thought that was high.
    A lortone rock/brass tumbler is IMO a better product at about $200.00 new and will last a lifetime. i have a QT-6 and a QT-12 , the QT12 i bought at the same LGS few years ago in excellent condtion for $25.00 and the QT-6 i bought in the 1970s.

Boolit Master

Well I got scared of the frankfort arsenal platinum tumbler and ordered the STM deluxe kit

Boolit Buddy

I keep on looking at ordering one of these:
    http://www.biggdawgtumblers.net/

But if I do it will reduce my need to purchase the tig welder that I keep on looking at. If I get the welder I could make one my self (I would still order the drum).

Boolit Bub
    Kayak,
    You know you want the tig... I made a tumbler drive out of an old treadmill and then fabbed up a barrel out of stainless steel sheet so needed the Tig welder the barrel holds 20ltr of water (4 gal??) so about 1500 9mm get cleaned every time

Plus you would never wear out the Tig

Cheers
    Reddirt204

Oops forgot to clarify, the drum is hexagonal with poly rings fitted each end, I found a round S/S barrel didn't stir up the mix enough

Boolit Master

For the O.P.
    I don't have mine yet. Ordered from Optics Planet. they were OOS. Claims the mftr. can't keep up.
    Expect mine to be shipped 4/28.
    Wish me luck.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    For the O.P.
    I don't have mine yet. Ordered from Optics Planet. they were OOS. Claims the mftr. can't keep up.
    Expect mine to be shipped 4/28.
    Wish me luck.
    Pepe Ray
    How about a report after you set up and tumble?
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Master

By using Google and all the other WEB stuff you can see for your self the performance of the St.Steel pin cleaning system.
    The tuff question is "how durable is it?"
    We'll see in time.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master
    I have the Frankford System and it does a good job. What sold me was the "system" all pretty much inclusive.

It does a good job, and is quiet since the inside if the barrel is rubber coated. Another selling feature for me was the built in timer.

The end caps are clear, so you have a visual on the ongoing process which is a plus!

The caps screw on and off super easy with huge coarse threads. It's like unscrewing a big jar of Mayo. Quick and easy! Not a bunch of wing nuts to jack with.

The noise level is about that of an older dishwasher, Not the new silent ones.

Of course being wet tumbled it is more labor intensive compared to dry tumbling.

If close to perfect clean primer pockets and extra shiny brass is your goal, I would recommend this system!
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 04-25-2014 at 09:59 PM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Ray View Post
    The tuff question is "how durable is it?"
    We'll see in time.
    Pepe Ray
    How durable?

I don't know. I have 3 Thumblers units. All three needed Redneck engineering to operate correctly right out of the chute. And the these are very limited on their load!

With the FA System you get SS pins ($46value) and a timer for a little bit more money than a Thumblers, plus the FA, carries a much heavier load as well as turns faster. And you don't have to re-engineer it. That's a better value in my book- assuming it holds up!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Mold
    I got mine from Grafs right when it came out. 1st thing you will notice is that it has a 30# weight limit. 15# of water and 5# of pins which leaves at the very most 10# of brass which is still quite a bit. Those of you who already SS tumble know that 5# of pins is not nearly enough to be totally effective with 10# of brass. To get the primer pockets totally clean, you will need to tumble at least 4 hours.

Back to the tumbler......

It worked well on the 1st batch of 5# of 223 brass tumbled for 3 hours. Still a little ring in the primer pocket, but not a huge deal. You can still faintly see the annealing marks, but another hour tumbling would take care of that. 2nd batch about 1hr in the drum stopped spinning and made a real loud "gear slipping screeching sound" and the drum stopped spinning. I contacted FA and they sent me a brand new setup. Hopefully this one lasts longer.

Boolit Master
    I've done two batches of 45 Colt filled to the waterline. With water and pins, weighed less than 25 pounds.
    The one bag of 5 pound of pins worked fine on the pockets as well as only 3 hrs. But then we're talking Large primer pockets on this side of the coin.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD