Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Policlips boolit casting machine report...

Boolit Buddy

Would love to see a Jmorris modified Policlips machine.

You have to send me a better video first

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Why is the fellow in the video above waiting so long for them to cool? Looks like he gets a big strip of sprue with pliers but is shaking and picking through the bullet tray too but I can't see what he is doing.

Anyone have a better video of one running?
    That's what I was thinking. Looks like 15-17 seconds for 6 boolits.
    That's a little slower than how fast I run my Lee 6 cavity mold.

If you do the math with the info from the OP, he made 390 drops in about 7200 seconds (2,343 boolits in 2 hours) which is about 18 seconds per drop.
    I could beat that with my Lee, but I'd be worn out by the time I got it done, so maybe that's the big draw with the machine?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy
    Cutting the sprue after the mold is opened is interesting. I wonder if it has any negative effects on bullet shape? It would be cool to find a way to automate the process casting with 6 cavity molds.

Vendor Sponsor

He is casting so slow so I was able to capture it on my mobile.
    It is possible to cast 700 - 800 good 9mm bullets in an hour. Takes longer for bigger calibers (aprox. 600 pcs. 45 acp 230 grain in 1 hour).
    I will take some detailed photos and better movie explaining how machine works.
    Last edited by MiHec; 04-18-2014 at 02:26 PM.
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

I could beat that with my Lee, but I'd be worn out by the time I got it done, so maybe that's the big draw with the machine?
    Not of you automate the process. My casting machine only casts around 480 and hour but I can coat them while it is casting more and the sizing machine can be sizing a coated batch all at the same time.

So at the end of the session it's like 3 people were doing the work or it only takes 1/3 the time from a block of lead to a ready to load bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    He is casting so slow so I was able to capture it on my mobile.
    It is possible to cast 700 - 800 good 9mm bullets in an hour. Takes longer for bigger calibers (aprox. 600 pcs. 45 acp 230 grain in 1 hour).
    I will take some detailed photos and better movie explaining how machine works.
    I would hope so. 800 boolits in an hour, dropping 6 each time comes out to almost 30 seconds per pour, or almost twice as long as the video.
    Now if you're saying that you can make 800 drops in an hour, or 4.5 seconds per pour/4800 boolits per hour, color me interested!

Very interesting. I think pulling the handle and jacking with pliers is to much work. Imo it should either be push button or fully automated. Seeing the automated units run is very impressive.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Vendor Sponsor

It is 800 good bullets per hour for now. I think the vent on the machine is too small, and you have to wait for sprue to harden really good, otherwise you have problem removing it.
    Still, you can cast with it all day and you do not get tired I all ready have some ideas how to make some modifications to it. I don think this machine is good for automation, because you can not remove sprue otherwise but by hand.

Time between pours can be faster, but some time you need a lot of time removing sprue (it brakes in few pieces, sticks.....)
    www.mp-molds.com

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    It is 800 good bullets per hour for now. I think the vent on the machine is too small, and you have to wait for sprue to harden really good, otherwise you have problem removing it.
    Still, you can cast with it all day and you do not get tired I all ready have some ideas how to make some modifications to it. I don think this machine is good for automation, because you can not remove sprue otherwise but by hand.

Time between pours can be faster, but some time you need a lot of time removing sprue (it brakes in few pieces, sticks.....)
    Got it. Well, that is a valid point about being able to cast all day without getting tired. Also, you get to use really good quality molds in a six cavity

I think the vent on the machine is too small, and you have to wait for sprue to harden really good, otherwise you have problem removing it.L
    Can you explain a little more? I am not sure I follow.

I would figure the sprue takes longer because of the mass of it. If you wanted it/them to cool faster you would stop the flow right after the mold if full but then have 6 parts to remove instead of a single large one.

Vendor Sponsor

Can you explain a little more? I am not sure I follow.

I would figure the sprue takes longer because of the mass of it. If you wanted it/them to cool faster you would stop the flow right after the mold if full but then have 6 parts to remove instead of a single large one.

I will make a new video with details.

Yes, you could produce smaller sprue, but it is PITA then to remove it. Bigger (stronger) vent would help to cool down sprue faster.
    So compromise for me is bigger sprue and easy removing for now.
    As I say I have some ideas how to make removing of sprue easier.
    It will be explained on video.
    www.mp-molds.com

Vendor Sponsor

More detailed video

LINK
    www.mp-molds.com

Very good video and interesting design. What does the base of the bullet look like?

Am I correct in assuming that the mold installation is so important because you could bend it, end to end making it feather the middle bullets?

Boolit Master
    That is pretty neat actually. Adjusting the individual pour valves would be a pain in the butt.

Not a big fan of having to manually pick the sprue off each time though, but it does look pretty easy to use. Shame they didn't somehow make it turn to drop the sprue off, it would be a really fancy setup if it did, removing the need to use pliers.

Vendor Sponsor

Very good video and interesting design. What does the base of the bullet look like?

Am I correct in assuming that the mold installation is so important because you could bend it, end to end making it feather the middle bullets?
    Base of the bullet can be FB or BB - no problem here. Mold installation is important for 2 thinks. You want sprue to be centered to the mold + it must be parallel.
    www.mp-molds.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerHappyAndy View Post
    I recieved a policlips that I bought from deltaenterprizes on this forum about a week ago. But I havenīt been able to try it until yesterday. I had 77 lb of ingots and turned them into perfect bullets in about two hours. What amazed me was that just about every single boolit was perfect. I only discarded two. I took my time the first time, so itīs probably possible to cast a lot faster. The boolits I cast were 230 grains .45 acp rn.

/Andy

Humm nice where did you find that machine ??
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here