RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMCD Products
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 32 S&W Favorite

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by helice View Post
    Edd,
    What is the barrel length on your 32 S&W. Rifles with short actions can make a barrel seem shorter than it is.
    The barrel is 16 1/2" long. I thought that since it is such a wimpy cartridge, that the short barrel would be about all it could use efficiently. That is also the reason I put on the tang sight...to increase the sight radius by a few inches. I'd bet that the bullet is actually running out of steam before it gets out of the barrel. It feels like a Daisy as far as handling and weight!

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

Boolit Grand Master
    A great idea , great workmanship , and obviously the little rifle will be ( and is ) a joy to shoot.

GOOD JOB !

Ben

Boolit Man
    very nice! would be a great companion with my 32 break top! just started messing with 32 s&w, tried the 1 gr bullseye and it is indeed a light load, loaded a few cases with 3f black powder and to me it makes this caliber really fun to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Oh man you doing my wish list.
    Here is mine.
    Have any photos/ Measurements of that breech block?
    I will be getting a mill one of these days. Converting to 32 short would add some life to this old girl.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I think you were wise to use the shorter .32 S&W case. It will permit rifle velocities approaching 1000 fps or only very slightly more than that, and there is no temptation to load hotter. The .32 S&W Long case, while delightful in a stronger action where its greater powder capacity can be exploited, could be a distraction. Limiting case capacity provides the needed focus.

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    As a "youngun" I was told of the old 32 rimfire in a Remington Rolling Block. I never saw one and have no knowledge of it's abilities. Some of the old farmers spoke well of it.
    How does the 32 S&W compare to that old rimfire?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by helice View Post
    As a "youngun" I was told of the old 32 rimfire in a Remington Rolling Block. I never saw one and have no knowledge of it's abilities. Some of the old farmers spoke well of it.
    How does the 32 S&W compare to that old rimfire?
    Ballistics are pretty much the same for the two cartridges. Not a power house, but a decent short range squirrel, rabbit, and small varmint cartridge. Another way of looking at it is, it is a little faster (out of a rifle) than a 22 Short with a bullet of over 2x to 3x the mass.

Edd

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post
    Oh man you doing my wish list.
    Here is mine.
    Have any photos/ Measurements of that breech block?
    I will be getting a mill one of these days. Converting to 32 short would add some life to this old girl.

What I did was to start out with a piece of 4140 steel and pretty much copied the existing breech block while leaving a bit extra on the back to allow me to fit it by hand for a tight, close fit. I also added a few thousanths of material on the width to fully fill the cavity it mounts into. I didn't write down the dimensions as it was a one off project. I also added a little stock to to back of the block to give myself a little working room for the firing pin. I spring loaded the firing pin so it is a rebounding pin now.

As Outpost75 recognizes, I chose the 32 S&W for it to deter people from trying to hot-rod it.

You have a fine looking example there and if the barrel is decent, it should be a great little rifle with a new purpose with a centerfire conversion. What is it chambered for currently?

Edd

P.S. I have another action (only) that I've given some thought to building a 25 ACP version on. Time will tell whether it gets past the thinking stage.

Boolit Grand Master

I use 700X in my H&R revolver with the top latch system. Can't remember the load right off the top of my head but think it is close to your bullseye load. Around 600 fps out of the 6" barrel.
    I have often thought of having a Contender barrel made in 32 S&W Long after reading an article in the T/C club magazine. One guy hunted deer with it.
    You did a great job getting an old unservicable rifle back in the game. The 32 S&W (short) was a great choice as it is safe and incredibly cheap to shoot. Primers probably cost more than powder and boolit!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I use 700X in my H&R revolver with the top latch system. Can't remember the load right off the top of my head but think it is close to your bullseye load. Around 600 fps out of the 6" barrel.
    I have often thought of having a Contender barrel made in 32 S&W Long after reading an article in the T/C club magazine. One guy hunted deer with it.

I would really like to meet that "one guy" ....I bet he is a bowhunter that just happens to carry a gun occassionally. I have thought of taking a deer with my H&A 32 S&W-Long falling block, just to do it and to make 35Remington go into convulsions while spasming violently on the floor. But have resisted the urge thus far.

I met a guy when I was still in Michigan who claimed he'd done it from a tree stand. I suppose it's possible, shooting straight down at a range of 20 feet, and you hit the spine. But I've always thought that he was just flapping his gums.

Is/was carrying a small-bore pistol during deer season even legal in MI?
    Cognitive Dissident

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I met a guy when I was still in Michigan who claimed he'd done it from a tree stand. I suppose it's possible, shooting straight down at a range of 20 feet, and you hit the spine. But I've always thought that he was just flapping his gums.

Is/was carrying a small-bore pistol during deer season even legal in MI?

It all depends where one is standing in Michigan as to what you can use. 3/4 of the state can use anything that is not rimfire and .22 or bigger.

Boolit Master

The original 32 short had 9 grains of black powder and the long had 12-13 with a 90 grain outside lubed bullet. I don't have a BP load for the 32 S&W short but 1.1 grains of bullseye is supposed to give the same velocity. I would probably go with a little slower burning powder to keep pressures down if I were doing it. I don't see a problem with the S&W short on the Favorite but the long S&W would most likely cause problems.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    The original 32 short had 9 grains of black powder and the long had 12-13 with a 90 grain outside lubed bullet. I don't have a BP load for the 32 S&W short but 1.1 grains of bullseye is supposed to give the same velocity. I would probably go with a little slower burning powder to keep pressures down if I were doing it. I don't see a problem with the S&W short on the Favorite but the long S&W would most likely cause problems.
    Thank you John. I have tried a couple slower powders for the exact reason you mention. I have a list of 8 powders to try if spring weather will get here and stay for a few days! I have a few rounds loaded with 700X right now to try next. Slow and easy I will go.

Absolutely my very thoughts about the Long version. The operating pressure of the long is quite a bit higher than the short (original) version.

Edd

Boolit Master

Here are before and after pictures:

Edd

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    Neat, can't wait to see it in person!

x2, What a neat little rifle! I really like the sight too!

Randy

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    What a great little rifle! I'll bet it will be a lot of fun to shoot as well. As a kid, I started out with my Dad's old 1915 Favorite in .22 - man fond memories of that old rifle - still have it but it is now "retired". It went through a fire in 1956 and the butt stock got charred pretty good - I made a replacement for it and at one point, made a new firing pin as well. Thanks for sharing - nice to see the "ole girl refurbished and given a new life!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeym1a View Post
    What makes the Favorite's falling block a weak action?
    The whole of the forces of the cartridge firing are held in the chamber by two screws, the breech block screw, and the lever pivot screw. They are not very big screws, and the breech block screw for sure, and by memory , maybe the lever screw too, are unsupported for some of that distance. There is a larger void in the interior of the casting for the action, than the breech block fills. The length of screw between each side of the breech block and the action wall is where all the movement typically takes place when fired.

Others may vary, but none of the Favorites I have ever had or looked over, had any bearing surface against the action for the breech block to lock against. So, the screws is it, as far as holding things in place.

Good little guns, built to handle small BP rimfire cartridge power levels, and even at that, not a powerhouse of a rifle.

If you get a chance to look one over, it may answer your question.

Cheers
    Trev