Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep control of your semi-auto handgun brass?

Boolit Master
    My girl friend likes to put on a thong and chase it down for me, however after an hour or so she gets tired , then wants to shoot and let me run it down, I just hate the feel of those darn wool thongs you have to wear when the weather cools off.
    So, I'm looking for other ideas also.

Tarp/Plastic, I don't loose very many.

Boolit Buddy

Ruther Glen,Va. Recently escaped from Peoples Democratic of Illinois
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubet View Post
    We use several of these at the range for picking up brass. Works on various surfaces. The range staff don't mind having to pickup the brass.
    http://www.brassmower.com/
    Use one of them at the club after the IDPA matches, works pretty good, I can clean a whole bay before three guys can clean one.

Boolit Master

One more fellows. Look at the GI surplus places for an army mosquito net. Much lighter and easier to hang than a tarp and it wads up and fits in a 3# coffee can for transport. Have one I've been using for years. Looks more tactical than a blue tarp./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I use a tarp but prefer my revolvers for this exact reason. Sometimes I'll shoot next to my truck and have em end up in the bed. Super easy clean up.
    I shoot from the bed of my truck or beside it a lot. Just if you are shooting something that really flings the brass, cover any windows it might hit....replacing the back glass is even more of a pain then picking up brass.

Boolit Master
    I see everyone is reading all the posts as usual, LOL.

Boolit Master
    I get my grandson with a fine mesh fishing net too catch them before they hit the ground, after shooting it's off to DairyQueen.Just kidding

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Buy brass by the thousand, take loaded ammo to the range in trays if you must, but after firing, pick up brass and place in plastic bags or an ammo tin. Don't make the mistake of placing the fired brass back into the trays as you will be worring about the last two or three cases and spoil your visit to the range.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

When I was younger, folks would give a kid a lard tin to put the brass into and then pay him a nice shiney quarter each time he brought it back full. I could sometimes make a couple of bucks a day this way.

Now that I'm old enough to appreciate not having to bend over, I can't seem to find kids that will work for any price.

Jack

For the sort of money most kids want these days for a bit of work, you'd be better off buying steel cased ammo and dumping it in the bin at the end of a shoot.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

So let's look at it from an economic level. Not hard numbers just general. A kid picks up the brass for you which has a value. Both as scrap and to resell as fired brass. Why would a kid accept less money then what he could get that way? And please don't tell me; because they're a kid. I taught my stepdaughter why we pick up brass from a young age. She has been shooting w/ me since she was 6, currently 13, and goes w/ me to the scrap yard. She has been picking up 22 to keep for herself to sell at the scrapyard to buy whatever she wants w/ the money. Even at 6 she would not accept that quarter because she knew the value of what she had was greater than what you were offering her.

Now I do realize that most kids want money for doing nothing. But not all of them are like this.

What I meant was that a kid who was not involved in the shooting would want more than it's worth.

Corrected now, danged autocorrect!
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 04-01-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Same problem when at the range. They get down right rude if they think your picking up brass that you didn't shoot. I tried the felt tip
    markers but was still losing too much. I went to a sporting goods store an picked up a fishing net with a long handle. Trimmed the handle to
    the height that I wanted, made a steel base with a pin weld on that would fit inside the handle. I just make sure when I fire that the gun is right next to the opening of the net. I took it a step future an cut a section of the handle close to the net about table height, this way I could use it when shooting from a bench. Then I took a wood dowel that would fit the inside of the handle to put the long portion back on for when I was standing. If I only knew how to post photo's.

Ghost101

Boolit Buddy
    I keep the shooting area (approx 20' X 20') sprayed with herbicide and raked clean.
    Almost like shooting on a dance floor

I took an old swimming pool skimmer and replaced the mesh with burlap, added an extending pole and connected it to a weighted base. works fine for free.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    Cheap kid's inflatable pool works well too......

Boolit Mold
    As for catching Brass from the Coonan Classic Auto 357 MAG, I built a cage/box to shoot in Box is 16in wide by 30 in long and the window screen is 30 in high, screen is held upright by plastic pipe. It catches all the brass and will work from standing, prone or sitting positions. Beats chasing the brass all over the range, as the Coonan throws brass 14 ft behind you and to the right. It is a kick to shoot the Coonan as you can load it to be a flame thrower, or blow out the targets at the seven yard line. Also you can shoot 38spl or 357 mag loads just by changing the slide spring, from a 22 lb to a 11 lb spring. ...Vern

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Attachment 101687Attachment 101688Attachment 101689I got a catch net from Graco in Utah last week. Tried it this past saturday. Now I will shoot my semi autos; I didn't before. I just don't fold in the middle like I used to.

Pics

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
    Attachment 101687Attachment 101688Attachment 101689I got a catch net from Graco in Utah last week. Tried it this past saturday. Now I will shoot my semi autos; I didn't before. I just don't fold in the middle like I used to.

Pics
    Neat!

For now I guess I'll just stop shooting semi-autos at my place and restrict them to my dad's house. We shoot off the porch there and in the last couple of trips I've been able to recover all my brass.

Boolit Master
    Upside down cheap beach umbrella, if you really need help.