RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Cannelure Tool

Boolit Buddy

Cannelure Tool

I'm in the process of tooling up to swage 50 caliber bullets for my BFR and Beowulf. The BFR needs a good crimp and was wondering if anyone had experience with a cannelure tool they would recommmend for this large bore. As always, Thanks for all the advice!

Contact BT Sniper, he has done some .50

Boolit Master

I use the CH4D cannelure tool. BT may be able to get it for you with a slight discount.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Moderator Emeritus

I've got the CH Cannelure tool and it works great. I use it to put the cannelure on my swaged bullets and it does a fine job.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

DIY;

Nice looking tool!
    Got any other pictures? I might want to steal some of your ideas for building one.

Boolit Buddy
    Is that a Harbor Freight mini chop saw blade? I've been thinking of building something like that for a while now but didn't know what to use for a blade!
    Quote Originally Posted by marten View Post
    DIY;

A few other pictures;

Used a slitting saw blade but it is important to grind the tops of the teeth off...can be done with a diamond 'stone' whilst cranking the handle.
    Unless, of course, you like launching bullets with bits of HSS embedded in them down your barrel...

Here you can see the oilite bushes for the spindle (used in the hinge as well) also the finished rollers.

Finished shows lubricating holes for the bearings, I used a fairly stiff spring to apply thrust pressure for the spindle.
    Basically tightening between the handle bolt and arbour bolt holds everything together.
    Notice the brass thrust bushes on the moving parts and some might note the grub screw in the hinge to lock the pivot bolt into position.

The shoulder bolts used for the rollers and hinge pin with oilite bushes and needle roller bearings, I did not use the needle rollers on this machine.

Here a couple of knurled 'blades' for experimenting with.
    Left is a straight knurl and right is a diamond knurl. Both have been case hardened.

It is a little 'Heath Robinson' as we would say here (Rube Goldberg), but it works quite well...

The cannelure looks more aggressive than it actually is, it was difficult to photograph!
    Last edited by marten; 03-26-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    I use the CH4D cannelure tool. BT may be able to get it for you with a slight discount.

Bob
    Same here. Bought mine through BT. I've done 224 to 45 colts and they work great.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Marten

Thanks for the extra pictures. You did a great job on building the cannelure tool, it looks quite good!

Rat-Man

Jus' messin'

In Remembrance

The CH4D version works fine, but I am struggling with lack of leverage with their design. I was able to get the tool through BT Sniper at a discount, as compared to direct from CH4D.

If someone could come up with a For Sale cannelure tool with better leverage, similar to some I have seen in recent posts, I'd be willing to make a purchase.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Maybe I will send my CH4D version off to chuckbuster, and see if he can make me a better one.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Frosted Boolits

My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows