Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which ar upper build next? Not 5.56

How about 45 acp and make a super silent AR

Interesting 410 link, thank you. I might keep my options open, I'll ask the wife her opinion! And the 450bm links as well thanks.
    Using Tapatalk

Another 300blk vote(I have 3, 10" AR pistol, 16" carbine & rem 700) for ease of use and availability of components. It's very efficient and will run the gambit of 30 cal weights. Personally though for FUN, ease of loading en masse has it's own merits. Rifle brass prep still irks me. Loading straight wall pistol cartridges is just easier and cheaper, my second suggestion is a pistol caliber 9mm, 40, 45, 10... There are a couple guys making DI 45auto upper( most are blowback) that's run on modified grease gun mags. The action is strong enough that you could load 45+p or 45 super. 9mm is most common for blowback and most likely easier to build from home.

Boolit Master
    I'll chime in with another blackout vote. It's been a good time. Making the brass is tedious. But if you do a little at a time not too bad.
    I'd suggest putting some new brass in the build budget if you don't have a bunch of spare time.
    The round itself rocks, no need to explain more.
    I'd suggest doing an sbr for an extra bit of uniqueness at the range. Plus it's nice that the round doesn't lose much in a short barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

The ones I will be doing in the near future are a 204 Ruger for prairie dogs and yotes and a 458 SOCOM just because I want one. I would also like a 30 Rem AR for deer but Remington sc###d the pooch so badly on this one I'm not sure it's a viable option.

I only have one lower, not too interested in making two whole ARs. Could I still use the sbr engraved lower with my 18in 5.56 upper? I'm not sure how that works.. if the answer is yes, I might actually go ahead and fill a form 1. Just a little more time to save for the tax stamp.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    If you change uppers you can use the same lower even if it's engraved for sbr.
    The sbr rules don't apply if the upper barrel isn't under 16"

Sweet!! I just found a quick search with a lot more details, great suggestion! I didn't know ideas that easy. Now to set up a trust.....
    Using Tapatalk

If you file under a trust use the E-file system - currently it running much quicker than the paper copy processing.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I plan on lurking at that ar 15 forum... I'm scared to register there, they seem like such fan boys. Not that's bad or anything, but they might lure me in. I believe I saw a post in how to fill out the form and how to have your own "trust" with an e-file system. And besides, I have pretty bad handwriting I would probably get denied haha.
    Using Tapatalk

So I looked for the 2 inch cut off saws I see everyone on YouTube using, and harbor freight seems to have discontinued the little things. Seems now I'll have a lot more work to chop down my 5.56 brass.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I'm doing a 6.8 SPC build.
    It seems to be a quite capable cartridge from what I have read. Supposed to have good accuracy out to 500 yds or so with much better terminal performance than .223, but still using the AR15 platform.
    Not much available for molds in this size though. I started a thread in the group buy forum seeking interest(or not) in this caliber.

How about a 380acp? Never seen one of them, lol. Would actually be quite fun, silent, and conversational in a pistol configuration.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wb2754 View Post
    I'm doing a 6.8 SPC build.
    It seems to be a quite capable cartridge from what I have read. Supposed to have good accuracy out to 500 yds or so with much better terminal performance than .223, but still using the AR15 platform.
    Not much available for molds in this size though. I started a thread in the group buy forum seeking interest(or not) in this caliber.
    I have an upper in this caliber, I also have an old Ideal mold for it that works well. There have been a couple of discussions about a mold for this caliber and at least one group buy that actually went to completion. A Mihec mold if I remember correctly.

My 6.8 SPC rarely gets used since I built a 300AAC BO however.

Boolit Master
    For the ultimate thumper, there's a guy out there somewhere [can't recall right now] building AR-10's in .450 Marlin.

The 300Blackout cartridge is a cast shooter's dream cartridge.

I went with it for my first and currently only AR build in my collection. I was upset to learn that 5.56 is relatively finicky as far as cast boolits are concerned in the AR platform, and when I began learning about the 300BLK I am pretty sure I heard angels singing in the background.

I shoot the NOE 314-129 boolit supersonic out of my 16" carbine gas AR and just using Xlox lube and WW alloy I can push it to 2,200fps with zero leading.

So in short: 300BLK 300BLK 300BLK 300BLK 300BLK 300BLK 300BLK
    Sometimes a teacher, always a student.

Boolit Master

I vote for the 6.5 Grendel.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Buddy
    Blackout!

Mine is a semi custom bolt gun (ARs just don't excite me) but regardless this caliber is like crack!

I do want a bolt gun, eventually. I was thinking a tad bit bigger and longer range.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pretzelxx View Post
    So I looked for the 2 inch cut off saws I see everyone on YouTube using, and harbor freight seems to have discontinued the little things. Seems now I'll have a lot more work to chop down my 5.56 brass.
    Think bigger
    http://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-cu...l#.Uy40AKhdVuI

or you can use a bandsaw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXQjPy7Uvdk
    or drill or drill press
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x93hAJiD3o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcYNARehSeE

Giraud Case Trimmer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoFH6Ho4FA8

or if you have the bucks
    - Dillon 1200b - even better in 1050 press as it removed primer crimp at same time
    I actually quit making my own and just pay my friend to do it for me.

Dillon case trimmer
    Last edited by Artful; 03-22-2014 at 09:25 PM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."