RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need more than 1 ingot mold?

Boolit Bub

Do I need more than 1 ingot mold?

Would it benefit me, to use more than 1 ingot mold?
    i.e., do I need to wait for one to cool off before I eject the molds, and I can use a second one while I wait? Or, for any other reason?

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I have 1 4 gang 2 lb'er and 2 4 gang 1 lb'ers
    Seems like i am always waiting for them to cool.
    I am always wishing for about 4x more ingot molds.
    It would depend on how much you smelt also.

Boolit Grand Master

How many pounds are you smelting at once? I use a Dutch oven and w/ 2 pans that each make 8 3.5# ingots it's enough to keep me constantly moving. If I was using the one pound molds I would need five or six.

Boolit Bub
    You'll need more.

Boolit Bub
    Ouch, thanks!

How about a wet towel....., fill ingot mold, touch bottom to towel
    May keep mold from over heating....

Pick up some cast cornbread pans from the local thrift stores. The aluminum ones work best.
    I picked these two up for $1 each at Goodwill Industries. Between the two of these, a Lyman four hole and a Lee 4 spot, I still sometimes have to take a break to let things harden.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	il_570xN.466031027_8674.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	99761
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique_cornbread_pan_oval_hitch_cover.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	99762

Boolit Buddy
    You will definitely need more than 1.
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Boolit Master
    I'm up to 3 Lees and one Lyman. I prefer the Lees because they cool faster. I'm not sure if the Lyman cast iron will crack if I cool it on a wet towel. I also have a shallow cup cake pan that does a great job too. I use a cast iron pot to smelt that holds about 30 lbs.

Boolit Master
    I do 50-75 pounds at a time and make full use of 3 molds that make 5, 5 pound ingots. I welded these using 2" angle iron. It was easier than finding the mythical Walmart Stainless Steel Condiment Cups which don't seem to be native to California or Arizona.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IngotMolds.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

In Remembrance

I use 3 Lyman and 1 LEE ingot molds. I also use 2 cast iron 10 lb. RCBS and a 10 lb. Lyman pot that I fill half full for a heavier ingot.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

By the time I fill the last, the first is ready to dump and refill...

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Ideally filling ingot molds you should have enough so that when you fill the last one the first is solid then +1 more to be sure. I made mine from angle iron 2 to a ingot mold 4-5 lbs each and have 8 of them. Not a big deal to make saw cut angle v point to opening at 10* ( this allows ends to release quickly and easily) I used 1/8"x2"x2" and cut to a length that fit my pots. A 1/8" X 2" flat plate long enough to cover te vees plus an inch or two on each end. Set angle face down on 1/4" flat stock and sides in tight to angle ends and weld together. Remember each ingots wieght and figure that times number of cavities. ( on mine 5 lbs per ingot so 2 is 10 lbs plus ingot molds wieght). You can get by with 1 or2 but will spend more time waiting on cooling than pouring.

Boolit Master
    I run from 140 to 350 lbs at a time. I have a 24 banger mini muffin, a 4 banger 1#er, and a home made 4 banger 6# angle iron job. I can run non-stop now, but I end up with more mini muffins than I care for. I need another angle iron mould.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master

i have 5x4 one pounders =20 lbs and a 3 cavity 8 pounder=24 lbs

Boolit Master

I have 5 six cavity cast iron muffin pans and 6 SAECO/RCBS ingot molds. The muffin pans turn out 1.5-1.75 muffins. Also a 10 lb Magma retangular mold. I seldom use this mold as the ingots are too big. I should have used it more often for ingots to make special alloys from WW, pure and various Sn/Sb rich alloys. I could make fairly large batches in my clean-up pot(after cleaning it, of course).

There are sources here for ingot molds, usually fabricated from angle iron or channel iron. Both would work well.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I had four Lyman 4X1 but they have disappeared in a move. I now have two Lees; I like the handles but wish they were all 1# instead of two each half & whole pound. I keep production up by resting them in a shallow pan of water. You have to be on your game to do this safely, though.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Do not stop at just one of anything!

I have 7 commercial ingot molds (Lee,Lyman, RCBS) and love them. Easy stacking, no falling over on your toes. When I melt, I use all of them at the same time.

Leave the kitchenware to the cook!

banger

Boolit Master

The smelt pot holds about 25#, and the three Lyman molds I have aren't really getting it done. Probably going to need two more to be at "adequate"
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

I have about 24 individual 1lb or so home made (bought from guys here over the years) or gang (Lyman/RCBS) ingot moulds. My smelting pot holds easily over 100 lbs. When I smelt, I line up the ingot moulds, pour each one, then while they cool, add more WW's to the mix, let them melt, flux and skim. By that time they are cooled enough to dump out and start it all over again.
    Like garlic, money and something we shouldn't refer to on a family site, you can never get enough....ingot moulds that is.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.