MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any good alternatives to the Lee 358-158-RF mold?

Boolit Buddy

any good alternatives to the Lee 358-158-RF mold?

That is my question. I love the way the bullet shoots I just cant stand the Lee aluminum mold. I like the shape of the bullet and actually the beveled base is kinda nice too. I have gotten used to the Lyman and RCBS iron molds and the Mihec brass molds. So to me the Lee molds are a pain...not to mention other things.

I have seen Lyman and RCBS both have very similar designs. The bullets look very much alike with exception being the base and possibly the lube groove. I hate the shallow groove on the Lee bullet.

Can anyone make any recommendations on personal experience?

Thank you.

I do have the Lyman 170 gr Keith type mold. I love this bullet and my mold is sweet...but some situations are better suited for the bullet mentioned above.

Banned

Accurate Molds

Boolit Master
    Captain Howdy

I had to ask...what don't you like about the Lee mold? I have the one mentioned, and it functions just fine. I have Lyman, Saeco, & RCBS molds and I have no problem with the Lee mold. I used to feel that the lube grooves in the Lee molds were too shallow, but they don't lead up my guns when I shoot them and so it would seem that they are adequate. For those that use store bought bullet lube, your lube goes a heck of a lot farther than with other makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Howdy View Post

That is my question. I love the way the bullet shoots I just cant stand the Lee aluminum mold. I like the shape of the bullet and actually the beveled base is kinda nice too. I have gotten used to the Lyman and RCBS iron molds and the Mihec brass molds. So to me the Lee molds are a pain...not to mention other things.

I have seen Lyman and RCBS both have very similar designs. The bullets look very much alike with exception being the base and possibly the lube groove. I hate the shallow groove on the Lee bullet.

Can anyone make any recommendations on personal experience?

Thank you.

I do have the Lyman 170 gr Keith type mold. I love this bullet and my mold is sweet...but some situations are better suited for the bullet mentioned above.

NOE 160 grain WFN is similar bullet to the lee. NOE molds are extremely well made.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=145

I have the 180 WFN and it shoots great out if my 1894c
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Master

I have that same Lee 358-158 myself. I'm not letting mine go anywhere. The boolits are the correct diameter, round, and they don't lead up the barrels. Not to mention they shoot really well.
    Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Same here... I find it more comfortable to cast we Lee DC molds as well...especially when doing a large batch. The lighter weight, IMHO, does make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    I have that same Lee 358-158 myself. I'm not letting mine go anywhere. The boolits are the correct diameter, round, and they don't lead up the barrels. Not to mention they shoot really well.
    Mike

Love my 6 banger. For 357 they are perfect. It's cheap and really cranks em out. I use Accurate for all my other purchases.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lyman 358665 4 cavity mold produces fine bullets for my 38's & 357's.......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Accurate Molds
    Enough said.

Gear

Lyman 358665 is what you want. Mine is a four banger.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    ok...I now know what I am going to do...thank you all for your suggestions!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Captain Howdy

I had to ask...what don't you like about the Lee mold? I have the one mentioned, and it functions just fine. I have Lyman, Saeco, & RCBS molds and I have no problem with the Lee mold. I used to feel that the lube grooves in the Lee molds were too shallow, but they don't lead up my guns when I shoot them and so it would seem that they are adequate. For those that use store bought bullet lube, your lube goes a heck of a lot farther than with other makes.
    the intent of my thread was to ask for alternate suggestions not start a conversation of why I dislike my Lee mold's' and become a victim of the Lee fanboys. As I said I liked the basic bullet design...not so much the lube groove though.

For all the people that love their Lee molds...hey man I'm with that. If you guys are happy with yours that great. I have 3 of them and after getting into iron and brass molds I certainly will not buy another aluminum mold UNLESS I buy one as a cheap test bed for a bullet design I am unsure about whether I want to invest into a more expensive mold.

I could write down every single dislike and fault I have with each of my molds and someone will come along and tell me how to change it or call me a liar. But you know what? All that aint gonna do me a bit of good...it's not gonna change my mind and I certainly wont go out and buy more Lee molds just because someone else thinks they are the best thing since bubble gum and the riding lawnmower. Nuff said...if some here really wants to know why I have grown to hate Lee molds just PM me and I'll tell you privately. Just know it doesn't matter how much you love them I am not gonna change my mind. And I'm certainly not gonna alow myself to get drawn into a Lee fanboy ****storm. I have long since grown past these kind of things.

Thank you!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    dude...those are absolutely perfect!!! How do the hps work out?

The RCBS 158gr Cowboy mould is a verygood design and very easy to cast with. The Lyman 158 Cowboy is a verygood design, but a little harder to cast. The Saeco 158 Cowboy is a verygood design, but it is also a little harder to cast. IMO the RCBS moulds are easiest to use. I have a couple of Accurate moulds that are very tricky to use.

I also have the Lee 158 mould and it performs verywell after deburring and sanding sprueplate flat. I also remove wave washer and replace with shim washers.

Any RNFP bullet performs better in my 357 Magnum than SWC style bullets.
    Last edited by detox; 03-14-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Great info thank you detox!

From My Accurate Molds 3 cavity cast iron mold.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	936315_3128106938456_111863400_n.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	99489
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master

I like the looks of those other bullets just fine but I LOVE the lee bullet.

I can make 500 of them on a Saturday afternoon with one 2 cavity molds.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I'm with williamwaco. It's easy to turn out a bunch with a 2-cav and it's super accurate in both rifle and pistol.