Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading for a Mini-14, Question

Boolit Master
    my books (speer #14 and sierra) show data for 223 remington and 5.56 milspec but I have not seen data specifically for the wylde chamber. like new loading for any ammo, one needs to start loads on the light side and work up. semi-autos are picky in that bullet velocity will vary greatly with different chamber dimentions, and barrel length. I own 2 AR'S and the same reloads I make fired in each rifle differ in velocity by 250 fps. one is a wylde chamber and the other is a milspec 5.56.

.223 Wylde will fire milspec NATO 5.56x45 ammunition without issue.

"Wylde is a hybrid chamber designed to yield the accuracy advantages of the match .223 Remington commercial chambering but without the pressure problems when using NATO spec ammunition."

http://www.jprifles.com/instructions/Rifle/JPCG-223.pdf

"The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles. It will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy."

http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?f...ategory_id=274

WSR primers let my Colt 6920 go full auto on me. 23 rounds into a 30 round mag, I was able to hit the mag release. She wasn't coming up for air....

I now only use CCI mil-spec for all my semi-autos, though it crossed my mind to load two, then a M855....

The Mini-14 does have the little "tail" in the firing pin, which hits on the frame until the bolt has rotated into battery. I've never seen a pin mark on ammo cycled but not fired, unlike my SKS, which puts a pretty obvious dent in the primer every time.
    Cognitive Dissident

If you go with cast be certain your alloy is either linotype of heat treated at least as hard as lino.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

I've been reading alot of old posts and I've noticed that questions come up every once in awhile about casting for .223. Am I the only one that thinks casting for .223 is pretty much a waste of time? I tried monkeying around with it briefly for my Mini 14 and quickly came to my senses. You can't push them much over 2000 fps and retain any type of accuracy, and the cost of gas checks is ridiculous. I've been looking into dies for swaging bullets from .22 cases and that seems to be more worth the effort if you're going to make you're own for .223.
    Quote Originally Posted by pls1911 View Post
    If you go with cast be certain your alloy is either linotype of heat treated at least as hard as lino.

It all depends on what you consider a waste of time.

2000 fps is about as fast as you can push them in a fast twist 1-8, 1-9 bbl such as the AR platform. The mini-14 I've messed with has a 1-12 twist, which allows you to push them faster. I never bothered finding out how much faster, since I wanted rounds I could use in my AR.

Gas checks are much cheaper if you buy them from a vendor here. Cheaper yet if you make your own.