MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Grilled Sandwiches

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    The thought of that makes me gag...
    Don't knock it till you try it...

One of my favorites, though I don't get it very often is a Monte Cristo. Ham, turkey and cheese on a fairly dry French toast(or white bread, batter the whole thing and deep fry it). It is served with raspberry jam or jelly. Pretty yummy.

Second favorite is a French Dip. Thinly sliced roast beef on a buttered, toasted hoagie roll with swiss. Dip in au jus'.

Boolit Master

On your cast iron griddle:

Heat the griddle and melt a tablespoon of butter on it. Slice a good roll or two. Put face-down on the griddle to toast.

Somewhere on the side, have an onion sliced, ready to go, and a half-pound of good roast beef, thinly sliced. I get this at the deli counter of the local grocery. They sell a great Cajun roast beef, exactly what I want.

Bread's toasted? Good! Set it aside, toss a little more butter on the griddle, toss the onions on there, saute' them a bit and shove them off to the side. On the greasy griddle, drop a couple of handfuls of sliced beef, one for each sandwich.

Assemble the sandwiches, piling onions and roast beef. I don't add mustard or mayonnaise to mine. The butter, onions and roast beef are flavor enough.

dale in Louisiana

Vendor Sponsor

I'm getting a sandwich press, old school style smooth one not none of this yuppie a$$ panini lookin mess with griddle lines all in it..

Down on the Mississippi Gulf Coast we make po boys, which are usually either roast beef w/gravy, or shrimp/crab/oyster. The trick to the real deal po boy, is not using hoagie buns but a fresh made French bread that is light and airy in the middle, with a thin crust, one where the middle squashes easily and doesn't try to squirt the insides out and all down your shirt/pants leg. This -real deal- po boy bread is ELUSIVE as unicorn horn once you get away from the coast. It's baked with no preservatives, and a good po boy restaurant might get deliveries from the bakery more than once a day, so your sandwich bread is really fresh, and even that adds to how squishy the inside is. This, is *critical* to making a proper po boy! The sandwich press is optional, but the way they are served down there is often "pressed and dressed" meaning lettuce, tomato, mayo, and presssed in the sandwich press to brown the top and bottom of the bread. NOW, we talkin!

I will post a recipe for this po boy bread soon, I want the sandwich press on hand so I can make a real deal crabmeat po boy and test it out, I will post the recipe for it after I know it works correctly.

Edit: Offered $20, seller took it, hope it works like everything else made back when this one was made! http://www.ebay.com/itm/280823454383...84.m1439.l2649
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-07-2014 at 11:41 PM.

Boolit Master
    Grilled peanut butter and cheese on Italian bread.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    Grilled peanut butter and cheese on Italian bread.
    What kind of cheese?

Boolit Bub
    I like me dem turkee ruebens. Great sour taste w/o the guilt of corned processed beef. Yessir.

Moderator Emeritus

My panini press has reversible plates, smooth or ridged. I prefer the smooth side, makes more crunch

Banned

my wife eats oatmeal everyday. I call it grewl!! Im more of a sausage and bacon guy. Might live 5 years less but ill enjoy my time here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janoosh View Post
    I'm reading this after breakfast (oatmeal)...and now I'm starving!!!!

Boolit Master

Lloyd Smale, cholesterol and high blood pressure run in my family. Im just trying to postpone the genetic inevitable...but I'll definitely try some of these sammiches...liking the cheese, jalopeno one.

Banned
    I'm on Lloyd's side. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart damage. Will probably not live a full life and don't give a rats butt. I said to heck with the cholesterol pills..cause muscle problems and I eat what I darn well please. If I want a darn sandwich I'm going to have one.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    My panini press has reversible plates, smooth or ridged. I prefer the smooth side, makes more crunch
    I'd rather have a smooth one myself but will settle for something that works well. Not into the trendy stuff...too old.

Boolit Master
    Grilled Reuben or monte christo.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned

I take blood pressure and colesteral meds every day right along with my bacon and eggs in the morning When i die i want it quick with a piece of bacon in my mouth and a bud in my hand!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm on Lloyd's side. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart damage. Will probably not live a full life and don't give a rats butt. I said to heck with the cholesterol pills..cause muscle problems and I eat what I darn well please. If I want a darn sandwich I'm going to have one.

Boolit Master

Fellers...just because I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast doesn't mean I'm not thinking about having that Monte cristo and a High Life for lunch!! Or perhaps dinner if I'm not at work! !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    A grilled PB & J sammie ain't bad.
    Is that a grilled Patched Ball.Sorry but being from across the pond the abreviations are greek to me.
    Last edited by Col4570; 03-09-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Just desiphered it.Peanut butter.Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    my wife eats oatmeal everyday. I call it grewl!! Im more of a sausage and bacon guy. Might live 5 years less but ill enjoy my time here.
    Its gruel. And only 1 letter short from cruel...

Always had a weakness for ham and swiss with a spicy mustard on rye bread. Even better with a good bowl of home made bean soup.
    Last edited by DHurtig; 03-12-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    " A politician is the lowest form of life on earth. A liberal Democrat is the lowest form of politician" George S Patton

The dead don't know they are dead. It only affects those around them.
    It's the same with stupid.

Boolit Master
    Thick Slice of Bread dipped in beaten Egg then fried in lard and topped with grated Chedder and Bacon and Pickled Jalapenos.
    The following day eat only lettuce as a penance for your previous indulgence.

Boolit Master
    Some really good pastromi, HOT, on some great rye bread (fresh) with some great deli mustard !

Best I ever had was in New York, wasn't cheap, but man what a memorable sandwitch! I make them at home now but the key is "awesome pastromi", stll one of the all time best sandwitches!!!!

Just don't like NY city

PS. There is a new mustard brand on the market called "Koops" there deli M is as good as I have ever had in my life!!!!!!!:

Boolit Master

Most of my biznez is in NYC. So I get to try all sorts of sandwiches. And yes, ppastrami is expensive there. I view NYC like going to the circus, a fun place to visit....then I gotta get home and back to reality....
    I had my first Cuban sandwich there. Which for those that don't know, is a grilled sandwich.
    Col4570....now....that....sounds like a great sandwich. ..