Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 mold suggestions

30-30 mold suggestions

Okay so I just picked up a new Marlin 336 and was planning on shooting cast only out of it I haven't had a chance to slug the bore yet or even fire it for that matter the action had some binding issues and is in for warranty work.

My question is what is a good mold in the 140 to 160 range would prefer a round nose but am not opposed to flat nose either. I'm sure that its gonna want .310-.311 sized boolits but the only molds I can seem to find are listed as .309 so does anyone have any advice do these molds drop larger diameter than listed or am I just being too picky.

Thanks
    Jr.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Boolit Master
    Ideal/Lyman's 308291/311291 is a round nose designed for tube magazines. Mine, an ancient, ventless, single-cavity 308291 that drops wheel weight alloy in the .312", 175-grain range. It's use should not be limited, solely, to tube magazines, though.
    Last edited by 462; 03-08-2014 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Dimension correction

Boolit Master

Hard to beat the 31141, designed for the 30-30 (I hear).
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Thanks guys, what do you say about Lee molds are they any good or do they drop too small? I have a two cavity for my 357 and the Lee bullets seem to be the size that my revolver likes.
    I'm still new to casting and have no experience with rifle bullets so I apologize for my ignorance on the subject.
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Boolit Master
    I have and use Lee moulds, but am always prepared to be their un-paid quality control department, and only buy from a company that is willing to accept them back and on their dime, when they are beyond what I want to contend with.

Vendor Sponsor

I have a bunch (12 or so) of Lee molds that work just fine. The only one I have trouble with is the 22 bator that midsouth sells ....I can't get that to fill out for beans.

I have C309-150-F for the 30-30.
    Lots of folks like the 170 grain version and they have a 160 grain round nose also.
    TCG
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Thecyberguy View Post

I have C309-150-F for the 30-30.
    Lots of folks like the 170 grain version and they have a 160 grain round nose also.
    TCG
    I looked at the C309-150-F
    Would like to stay in this weight range as I shoot 150s out of all my 30 calibers (all jacketed for now)
    How does your 30-30 like this boolit.

Vendor Sponsor

I have cast a couple hundred and only shot maybe 30 or so. So, I can't really say. I have been playing with other calibers since I got the mold. THere are a bunch of folks over at www.handloadersbench.com that use these.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

Right on!

This is probably the route I'll take to start with. Gonna have to slug the bore once it comes back to identify exactly which size it'll need.
    When dealing with the boss about money I've found a lot of stuff at lower cost does not upset her as much as a few at higher costs.

I appreciate all the model numbers you guys have listed gives me a great starting point to set up.

Vendor Sponsor

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Polish it out?

Like I said I'm new to this would one use a lapping compound for this or how is it done?

Those are some good prices!

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the link Ben!

Banned

for the marlin I'd go with a 311 sizer.

after a while you start thinking about the cost of a mold as negligible,and more a part of the guns price.
    a good 75-100 dollar mold that doesn't need a bunch of tinkering with, allows you more time to load and shoot.
    and also allows you to shoot better. [more accurately]

Boolit Man
    I bought the lee C309-150-F and can't seam to get it work woun't drop bullets and has a parting line I don't like so I was thinking about NOE 311-155-FN GC
    has any one used these in 30-30 ?

Guess this is another realm of ignorance didn't realize Lee molds were that bad

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Echo View Post
    Hard to beat the 31141, designed for the 30-30 (I hear).
    Is the 31141 still being made?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kayak1 View Post
    Is the 31141 still being made?

The 170 grain Lee is almost a clone.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Lyman now catalogs the 31141 as 311041. Check out the Swapping and Selling section here at CB. Used Lyman 31141 and 311041 frequently are offered for sale here. You could also post in the Want to Buy subforum. A 2 cavity should go for somewhere in the $35 to $50 range without handles and the handles for another $15 to $25.

Tony

Lyman 311041 is the mold I use for 30-30

Mine drops boolits out at around .3105"-.311" and weigh around 173gr
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7