WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IMR 4198 and 3030?

Boolit Buddy

IMR 4198 and 3030?

Thinking of working up a load for this in my winchester 94 3030 using 170 gas check, any advise?

Lyman handbook of cast bullets has starting load at 20 grs. IMR 4198 Max 27 grs.for 170 bullet.
    Mr. Bill2

First it was 4064, now 4198, whats next 4895 or 748 ? Invest in a Lyman cast bullet reloading manual
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Grand Master

Or log in to Hodgdon's website. They have data for IMR, Hodgdon, and Winchester.

Boolit Buddy
    Just trying to better my knowledge. Don't have a lot off money. Sorry for asking. And you wonder why our numbers of shooters and hi gets are. Declining on this country. Maybe we would be better served by helping each other instead of being snobs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Elbow View Post
    Just trying to better my knowledge. Don't have a lot off money. Sorry for asking. And you wonder why our numbers of shooters and hi gets are. Declining on this country. Maybe we would be better served by helping each other instead of being snobs.
    Whoa Elbow, they ARE helping you. It looks like you are new to the site so welcome aboard!!! It kinda shows good form to do your own research before asking for advice and both the Lyman cast Boolit handbook and Hodgdon's on-line reloading data are GOLD MINES of reloading and casting information. Also, a lot of folks are hesitant to quantify or qualify a load for you; Some decisions you just have to make yourself. You may not have much money but you do have an internet connection. Google 30-30 and H4198 and you'll get plenty of reading material. Good luck to ya!

Your profile says police Lt. so you should be knowledgeable with computers ,
    http://reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=51
    Plus did you do the "search" thing ??
    Search = http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sear...archid=1219470
    only 4 pages
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Boolit Mold
    I agree with elbow, not everyone can start out as experts like some in life. Gotta ask questions to get to those prestigious post counts that only boolit masters can achieve. Sorry, just venting-I quit visiting I fish.net because there were toooooooo many hoytie toytie types there, I really thought there were fewer judge mental people here.

Boolit Mold
    I've taken a lot of info from this site but really am disappointed by a lot of this kind of attitude towards newbies lately. Just some mere observations, have a great night!

Boolit Master

kmk1012 I am sorry you feel that way. Nobody expects you to be an expert and the fact is even the most knowledgeable members here are still learning. The OP asked for load advice for a specific caliber and powder. That information is listed all over the internet and several members pointed the OP in that direction even providing links to the requested data. One thing you will almost NEVER see ANYWHERE is someone recommending a "recipe" for a person/firearm/boolit that they do not know. There are just to many other variable to consider and consequences of mistakes to severe. I think you'll find this a warm and inviting forum if you'll do your homework first.

IMR 4198 and 3030?

A lot can be learned here. U just have to wade thru all the grumpy ol men LOL. ask whatever u want!

Boolit Master
    Don't forget about the load data on castpics.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    So, for me casting and reloading are a whole new sport. I have hunted all my life with bow and rifle and been very successful. I have 4 boys and a daughter and they are all into it too I also have many friends and friends kids who are and I have been fortunate to share my knows he with them always asking nothing in return, just like the old time Vermonters I grew up with showed me. From deer huntin to rabbit dogs to fishing. It is my privilege to pass their teachings on and I have. When I disco verdd this site it was milked when I discovered traditional archery a few years ago. I had so much to lear n any these forums are so helpful. Vin my archery journey I never felt as if I was dealing with some elitist who acted better than thou because they had more experience. They always shared info and ANswered questions selessly just like those old Vermonters. Too bad about the few on here I am sure the majority aren't Klimt that however I've had enoughso I'm done here. Hope you guys look at yourselves and act differently towards the next newbie. He's probably a good guy who just wants to learn. Help him out. And even though I'm done if I could help any of you, even the elitist I still will, because its the right thing to do. But I've had enough, so long,I hope you think hard about how you treat the next new guy, maybe me leaving will help others feel more welcome here. Thanks for listening.

WOW. What will you do when the first round of loads don't group? There's no reason to go flying off the handle that way, they gave you very sound advice. Low on Money and can't buy the manual? -although Lyman is a VERY good one to have- Go over to hodgdon.com and check out their online reloading data center. It is GREAT. When in doubt, the only surefire way to find out which powder is better is to start at MINIMUN charges and load up some mild to moderate charges of both, and work up. Please ask you questions on here with an open mind, you'll get much farther.

Good luck in your endeavors, but beware. Reloading is addictive!!

Boolit Master

I have noticed that 'tact' is not in good supply on this site. Rather than jumping on him, just give him the info, and a reference for looking it up himself. I got the same type of **** when I started out here. There is a lot of info here, if you know where to look. That is sometimes a mystery to some (me included) I've looked for stuff on this site numerous time, and seldom find what I'm looking for. I often get distracted because I'll find something totally unrelated that is interesting, and follow it instead. Cast pics. Loads on Cast Pics? I didn't realize that. As far as load info is concerned, yes, there is the load info offered by the powder manufacturers. It is limited. But it is a starting place. My advice to the OP is to go to cornellpubs.com and look at their old loading manuals. These are reproductions. The price is quite moderate, and the info quite interesting and useful. Cheers, everyone.

I don't understand the concept of wanting to be an active member of a forum, but getting upset with some of the questions. the OP asked a decent question. He wasn't rude about it at all. We're always told to use the "search" function (which doesn't work very well LOL). I can't help but wonder if the grumpy ol men on here are the same ones who say "Facebook is garbage"? However, the guys/gals on the casting/reloading groups on FB are much nicer and more respectful than some on here. Why reply to questions that bug u? Scroll down to something else and let the friendly guys answer it....sheesh!

First, let me start by saying that this forum is the first thing I look at everyday when I open my computer. I even find myself reading it at work at down times using my iPhone. Since joining, I have become a fan of many regulars and have gleaned a great deal of knowledge from them. I have also purchased lead, brass, molds, gas checks and gas check makers from members. Without the forum, I would have been at a total loss as to where to find some of these things. That being said,

When participating in a forum, one cannot be thin skinned. The written word, when not thoughtfully prepared, doesn't always portray the full intent of the writer. If the two men had been face-to-face, and the same advice was given, it is unlikely that the OP would have been offended, as the missing part of the message, body language, would have been perceived. My advice would be:

1. When writing a response, be very aware of the tone, or lack of it, that your words produce.

2. When reading a response, realize that a curt response is probably not a slight or insult and simply take the advice at face value and wait for others to chime in.

3. Be apologetic when someone takes offense at your response, since you didn't mean for them to take it that way in the first place.

As to the OP's original request, that combination of powder and boolits should work well in the Win 30/30. I use 4198 with 150 gr. gc boolits. It doesn't meter well through my powder measures, so I usually have to trickle each load. Get the sizing right. If you get leading, then try slugging the bore and match your boolits to that size or slightly larger. Should be fun working it up.

Good advice ^^^ I think another part of the problem is that we are from all over the place. In some areas, the folks are hot headed. Other areas, the folks are laid back and more respectful. I once dated a girl from NY, and me being from Alabama. Wow! We were both a couple of decent folks, but the way we dealt with each other was a disaster...LOL!

Boolit Master
    Elbow, 4198 is a good choice for cast bullets in the 30-30. I use the IMR brand with the Lyman 311291 170gr bullet. Start at the lower charge weights and work up until you find the right safe charge weight that your rifle likes. If I remember correctly, Ken Waters in his book "Pet Loads" rates this powder very high for use in the 30-30 with cast bullets.

As suggested previously, I would get the latest Lyman loading manual. It's about an inch thick, and it has lots of cast bullet data, as well as jacketed, for about every cartridge made. In soft cover it costs around $20, and is money well inversted.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 03-08-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    First it was 4064, now 4198, whats next 4895 or 748 ? Invest in a Lyman cast bullet reloading manual
    Agreed, have had a few issues with info found in that manual but all in all it's the first place I look for cast boolit info.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.