MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data for Lee slug moulds

Boolit Master

Data for Lee slug moulds

Published data that won't work. The data that came with a 1 oz. Lee slug mould lists Win AA hull, Win 209 primer, 36 gr. Herco, 1 oz. Lee slug with WAA 12 wad. There is no way they could have tested this data because it just won't fit. Using the above components with 1 .125" 20 ga. card under the slug using 60 lbs. wad pressure the most Herco I could use consistent with a good crimp was 16.0 gr. I'm tempted to load a few with that charge (16.0 gr.). The hulls I have are AA HS. Is there that much of a difference between AA (cf) and AA HS hulls? What could I expect with the 16.0 gr. charge? Opinions?
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master

No opinions? After looking at another thread with someone saying they were using 33.0 gr. herco with all other components the same as I was using. I charged a hull with 33.0 gr. herco and seated a waa12 wad with a 20 ga. card under a 1 oz slug with 60 lbs. wad pressure. This is what it looked
    like.

Attachment 87816

The top of the wad is in the part of the hull that will be crimped.

Attachment 87817

The hull on the left is the one with 33.0 gr. and the one on the right is charged with 16.0 gr. I guess my question is this; Is the fact that the top of the wad is in the section of the hull that will be crimped detrimental. Evidently not - but I don't understand.

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

Banned

I would recommend reading Ajay's thread backwards from the end to the beginning. You can trim your wad.

BTW - It is the Blazing Sabots thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Blazing-Sabot!
    Last edited by jmort; 11-17-2013 at 10:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    I believe the internal capacity of the AA and the AA HS are the same, data is said to be the same.
    I don't think 16 grains of Herco is going to do well, it's way too slow. I've never used Herco at all, so don't know how dense it is.
    Based on the pics up top it looks like way more than 33 grains if I'm seeing the top of the slug and wad correctly.

Boolit Master

Ok - I'll read his post. I won't have any time to shoot until next weekend. For those interested I'll post pictures of any targets I shoot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    I believe the internal capacity of the AA and the AA HS are the same, data is said to be the same.
    I don't think 16 grains of Herco is going to do well, it's way too slow. I've never used Herco at all, so don't know how dense it is.
    Based on the pics up top it looks like way more than 33 grains if I'm seeing the top of the slug and wad correctly.
    That's 33.0 gr. herco with 60 lbs seating pressure. I've got some hs-6 - maybe I'll give that a try.

Boolit Master
    Out of curiousity what bushing in that MEC are you using?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy lead View Post
    Out of curiousity what bushing in that MEC are you using?
    All I was using the MEC for was to size/prime the hull and do the crimping. The hull was charged off the press.

Boolit Bub
    I made a few of these you need to trim the pedals on your wad 1/4" so the slug poked out the top and it gives you more room to fold crimp.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PrecisionAmmunition View Post
    I made a few of these you need to trim the pedals on your wad 1/4" so the slug poked out the top and it gives you more room to fold crimp.
    I read Ajay's post as advised. OK - every day is a school day! I'll have time to experiment with it during the week and maybe test 'em out next Saturday. I have 2 weeks vacation starting Friday and I was hoping to have a slug load to take deer hunting.

Banned
    Good morning, just got back last night from my trip from beautiful West Virginia,
    look here:

Even the big companies do make mistakes and rely heavily on software driven loads that do not fit in the hull, unlike my way of practically doing it and making notes which is very time consuming ,slow and cost money!

They don't care, its not their cheeks glued next to the stock when the gun goes off, you see stars in the day time!!!

Watch it brother, the moment you start loading slugs you become part of my Elite Musketeer Brotherhood family, we stick together and look after one another!!

Its easy, its a fun project and above it all its your creativity!!!
    Cook your own.

" A happy man is one who loads his own slugs and burn's powder at the range" - Super Blazing Sabots!

"An inventor fails 999 times, and if he succeeds once, he's in.
    He treats his failures simply as practice shots. ~ Charles F. Kettering

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl[/url]
    http://slugshooting.accountsupport.com/[/url] ... wforum.php
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr[/url] ... ot!/page1
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=196961[/url]
    http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/fo...p?f=43&t=39246[/url]
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/slug-gu...old-is-gold-!/[/url]
    -Elite Group of Slug Shooter's
    We all, who take slug loading seriously are a dedicated family, who have taken it upon ourselves to perfect our tech. We experiment to find better techniques and share our knowledge.
    Location: New Jersey. USA / Frankfort, W.Germany / London, UK
    We all, who take slug loading seriously are a dedicated family, who have taken it upon ourselves to perfect our tech. We experiment to find better techniques and share our knowledge.

Boolit Master

Thanks Ajay - I've got a lot to learn.

Banned
    We learn together by sharing our experiences, for every day is a new day.

Watch it brother, the moment you start loading slugs you become part of my Elite Musketeer Brotherhood family, we stick together and look after one another!!

Its easy, its a fun project and above it all its your creativity!!!
    Cook your own.

" A happy man is one who loads his own slugs and burn's powder at the range" - Super Blazing Sabots!

"An inventor fails 999 times, and if he succeeds once, he's in.
    He treats his failures simply as practice shots. ~ Charles F. Kettering

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
    http://www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl[/url]
    http://slugshooting.accountsupport.com/[/url] ... wforum.php
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr[/url] ... ot!/page1
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...f=118&t=196961[/url]
    http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/fo...p?f=43&t=39246[/url]
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/slug-gu...old-is-gold-!/[/url]
    Location: New Jersey. USA / Frankfort, W.Germany / London, UK

Boolit Buddy

A word of encouragement ... there is plenty of help here ... don't despair. I had the same idea.. just follow the recipe ... what could go wrong? Not as easy as it sounds I'll tell you that. I use HS-6 ... if you aren't using a semi you better have a good padding... that HS-6 gets the job done. I agree a bit of judicious petal trimming with the recommended powder charge should get the crimp looking good. If you are gonna use these in a smooth bore ..curb your expectations of accuracy. If you are using them in a rifled barrel you may not need the card under the slug ... the wad and slug are meant to engage during their trip so the wad grabs the rifling and also holds the slug in order to impart the spin. ( If that is incorrect someone please correct me.)

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Here's mine- and it's not on any recipe that I've found.

WIN-AA-HS hull
    WAA12SL wad (pink) NOT Claybusters, use the gen-u-wine Winchester part
    20.0 grains Alliant PROMO (or Red Dot by weight)
    WIN 209 primer
    Lee 1-oz slug no extra wads or felts or cardboard or wood chips or other c.r.a.p.
    Crimp it on the MEC and shoot it.

I switched to just the WIN-AA-HS hulls for slugs only, I am saving my Remingtons for shot loads.
    Otherwise I was just tossing the WIN-AA-HS hulls in a bucket gathering dust.

I was using the Remington gun club/nitro/sts hulls, Lee 1-oz slug, WAA12Lwad (grey, GEN-U-WINE Winchester part), 20.0 PROMO, Win 209 primer and it crimps up nice too, the Remington hull is a bit longer than the WIN-AA-HS to my experience, and the grey wad is a 7/8 oz wad and has longer cushion 'legs' but same overall wad height.

When I use the 12L (grey) in the WIN-AA-HS I was getting blown out crimps and gaps. Too tall. The AA12SL fixed that problem.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by evan price View Post

WIN-AA-HS hull
    WIN 209 primer
    Lee 1-oz slug no extra wads or felts or cardboard or wood chips or other c.r.a.p.

I switched to just the WIN-AA-HS hulls for slugs only, I am saving my Remingtons for shot loads.

I was using the Remington gun club/nitro/sts hulls, Lee 1-oz slug, WAA12Lwad (grey, GEN-U-WINE Winchester part), 20.0 PROMO, Win 209 primer and it crimps up nice too, the Remington hull is a bit longer than the WIN-AA-HS to my experience, and the grey wad is a 7/8 oz wad and has longer cushion 'legs' but same overall wad height.

When I use the 12L (grey) in the WIN-AA-HS I was getting blown out crimps and gaps. Too tall. The AA12SL fixed that problem.
    I have all the components to try that. Are you shooting them through a smoothbore?

Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    I have all the components to try that. Are you shooting them through a smoothbore?
    Yes, cylinder bore guns.

Boolit Master

Yes, cylinder bore guns.
    Ok - I have to work with what I've got. All I have right now is a Mossberg 500 with an 18" cyl. bore bbl. and a Rem. 870 express with a Rem choke bbl. I'll have to give it a try.

I have a bunch of Gun Club hulls, lots of promo and Win209 primers... did you have success with this load? I wasn't clear why you moved away from the Gun Club hulls.

WIN-AA-HS hull
    WIN 209 primer

I wasn't unhappy with the Gun Club hulls. I just wanted to be able to know that all of my shot loads were in Gun Clubs and all my slugs were in Winchesters...let's just say that accidentally mixing a slug load in with your 1-oz trap loads is not appreciated at the clay pigeon range.

Luckily no damage, no harm, no foul...but I didn't drop the birdie.

Like I said, I have a bunch of WIN-AA12-HS hulls that were just sitting around, I figured I might as well use them.