Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Awesome ebay find...

Awesome ebay find...

I saw these on ebay, and scooped them up for loading brass shells...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	98009

500 per box.... I bought 3 boxes.... I would be willing to let a box go on a trade for some 12g brass shells... If somebody wants..... Just pm me...

I have no experience with these ring wax jobs, but ought to seal up pretty good in a brass case... Any thoughts???

AG

Boolit Master
    It was a long time ago and my memory might not be too good, but when Alcan marketed zinc 12ga. shells (in the 60's) I'm pretty sure they required 11ga. wads due to thinner walls than normal paper shells of the time. Maybe somebody else has a better memory.

Closest thing currently on the market (not old stock) is the 1/2" thick waxed cards that BPI sells for $ more then normal nitro cards in a few but not all guage sizes. I have never had the chance to use the old genuine Alcan wads but I've heard that they were better then the current crop. I have had experience with the BPI waxed cards and they are the best option for an over powder wad for loads where a plastic gas seal is not used that I have found so far. Wish I could still get my hands on the waxed fiber crush wads as well but my last line of supply on those went away a few years ago.

You lucky man to score those especially in the 11ga. size which when crammed into a 12ga. shell make an awsome good seal. Unfortunately BPI's waxed offerings don't include the +1 guage sizes that allow for that kind of set-up and I have to choose between using good hard waxed or +1 sized stack of just regular plain nitros and can't do both at the same time unless I do my own waxing which so far the results of trying to do that has not work out as well as the ones that come waxed.

Side question: Anyone know the correct wax mixture to use and method of wax impregnating nitro cards and felt fiber crush wads to get them to turn out like the old style good ones like these that came this way?

Also, at the OP, empty the contents of the boxes and then re-sell the boxes themselves on as vintage collector items (which they genuinely are) and recoup some of your costs. Some collectors pay very good money for empty vintage ammo and ammo component boxes.

Moderator Emeritus
    I have some old stock 12ga cork wads that I was planning to use for either BP shotgun wads or wads for loading slugs. The one with the red tip is.695 high and .741 in diameter. The wad with the blue plastic attached is .840 long and .741 in diameter. Do you think these will work with brass cases? I cut a 12ga plastic AA shell and these seem to be too big for it.

The wads with the red are Sacdome OP Wad, made in Italy.

Here's a picture:

Name:	wads.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	98028
    Last edited by garandsrus; 02-27-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Boolit Master

Good Morning! I know little of shotgun reloading. Are those wads made of cork? The ones I have seen previously were either pressboard or some kind of felt. Thanks. mikey

Moderator Emeritus
    Yes, they are cork. I updated the original post.
    Last edited by garandsrus; 02-27-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    I saw these on ebay, and scooped them up for loading brass shells...

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	98009

500 per box.... I bought 3 boxes.... I would be willing to let a box go on a trade for some 12g brass shells... If somebody wants..... Just pm me...

I have no experience with these ring wax jobs, but ought to seal up pretty good in a brass case... Any thoughts???

AG
    I have a old reloading book with the data for Alcan and if you like to know any data on it let me know of what. I have some wads of Alcan for 12ga .I started to use them for doing 2" 12 ga I been trying out.PM me if you like some info on what you have i see if i can help.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Wow, those are real cool garand.... Would love to find some of those to go with brass shot shells...