Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lyman 30 Caliber - #311332

Banned

rszk, if you cast it harder, with more of a lino type alloy it will be lighter. You can then up the speed too.

when getting a "spitzer" type nose make sure it has decent nose/bore contact, too much of a pointy nose with no bore riding will product horrible accuracy.

Here is a pic of what you don't want in a cast bullet.
    The top one is an 8mm but you get the point, see how it has NO bore riding on the nose and a long pointy nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    rszk, if you cast it harder, with more of a lino type alloy it will be lighter. You can then up the speed too.

when getting a "spitzer" type nose make sure it has decent nose/bore contact, too much of a pointy nose with no bore riding will product horrible accuracy.

Here is a pic of what you don't want in a cast bullet.
    The top one is an 8mm but you get the point, see how it has NO bore riding on the nose and a long pointy nose.

I agree you do need a balance between riding the bore and long slender nose. I'm entirely not sure which way I am going to go here on this, it's either take what's out there for say $75 bucks or reinvent the wheel and have one entirely custom cut by NEI from scratch.
    ------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------
    Every cloud has a silver lining (except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium & Strontium 90).

NRA Life Member
    Magma Master Caster
    Dillon 550, 650 (automated) reloader.
    So much other **** related to reloading I can't even recall all of it.

An idea for a mold to tear up would be an Ideal 311413, heck it would be similar to what I would do in the first place anyway. I'd like to experiment with something similar to what I am going to use in the first place...

then again who knows... UGH!
    Every cloud has a silver lining (except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Iridium & Strontium 90).

NRA Life Member
    Magma Master Caster

Banned

if you try to get anything cut by NEI (NOT NOE, two different companies) good luck with the quality control! Since Walt died the quality has really suffered.

I tried to get a few group buys through them, the quality of the moulds I received really sucked, I had to send them back two or three times! The whole batch of moulds. I'll never deal with them again.

if you try to get anything cut by NEI (NOT NOE, two different companies) good luck with the quality control! Since Walt died the quality has really suffered.

I tried to get a few group buys through them, the quality of the moulds I received really sucked, I had to send them back two or three times! The whole batch of moulds. I'll never deal with them again.
    I've noticed that, I hate the idea of dealing with NEI but they are about the only place that I can go to for a truly custom mold for a Magma. No one else really wants to cut one.

NRA Life Member
    Magma Master Caster

bhn22
    Won't Magma convert a mold for you? I thought they offered that service. I'd look long and hard at SAECO molds too. If you find a design you like, the quality is excellent, and the molds are all steel. Do Master Caster molds need to be steel?

Quote Originally Posted by bhn22 View Post
    Won't Magma convert a mold for you? I thought they offered that service. I'd look long and hard at SAECO molds too. If you find a design you like, the quality is excellent, and the molds are all steel. Do Master Caster molds need to be steel?
    magma would convert molds but they have limits. Yea the magma molds have to be steel, the clammering of the machine will wear out an aluminum mold much quicker than a steel. The steel molds just last forever.

The worst part here is that Saeco doesn't offer anything for what I am looking for. Like in Blammer's example up top i want something similar to the 8mm, but with decent contact... ughhhhh

It's possible that the lyman 311322 is as close to what I want, but in a stock mold.

NRA Life Member
    Magma Master Caster

bhn22
    I see what you mean. Did you look at RCBS too? I've heard good things about their 30 cal silhouette bullets, the only real issue appears to be that they would likely have a low BC.

BTW, thanks for the info on molds for the Magma.

The 323366 isn't a inherintly inaccurate bullet if you have the right throating for it or if you shoot it breech seated.

These are pictures of load devolopement I'm doing with it in a 32/40 match rifle. This bullet is cast of soft 20/1 lead/tin alloy. The first picture is before I took the GC off (can't use them in my type of matches) and the next two are with the PB at .2 tenth, 4227 increments. All are 100 yard groups.

Also, SOME people say that you can't get good accuracy with a bullet that has a scraper groove. All the bullets we are talking about, except the 311365 NOE have scraper grooves.

A bullet that is close to the 323366, and has the same basic design, is the 311329.

Frank
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	320366 GC - Copy.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	97669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB070147.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	97670Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB070148.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	97671
    Last edited by frnkeore; 02-24-2014 at 02:48 PM.

The 323366 and the 311329

Name:	Lyman_Design_320366_PB_187_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	97672

Name:	Lyman_Design_308329_PB_188_gr_Sketch.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	97673

Boolit Master
    yep, 308 is good and I like it, it's accurate enough for me out of my AR10
    What kind of accuracy are you getting in your AR-10? I've been working with mine, with various boolets, and not getting where I like to be.

I tried the NOE 311365, suggested in a later post, with dismal results. I used both Varget and 5744. By the time I reached the level where the action would cycle (29.0 for Varget, 25.0 for 5744), groups @ 60 yards were opening up to 4" or better!

Best grouping boolet, so far has been the RCBS 165 Sil., with Varget @ 1" C-C.

Winelover

Banned

varget has not worked for me, my powder of choice for me is IMR4895.

for me 8x11 at 100yds standing with open sights is what my accuracy is.(meaning the entire mag of 25 will land on that piece of paper) Never really sat down to see how good it really is. I suspect 2-3" at 100yds.

Boolit Grand Master

"SOME" people don't say cast bullets with scraper grooves can't be shot accurately. What "SOME"people said was is cast bullets with scraper grooves are to be shot as MKs are in the .308W (as the OP says he wants to) then the scraper groove is a weak point. The much better design for the OP's needs would be the MP311-180.

Larry Gibson

larry,
    You did say the the 311332 was distorting (caused by the scraper) when shot in a 308 Win at about 1600 fps.

The OP is looking for input from people that had experiance with the 311332, there were many postive responces.

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

No frank, I did not say the OPs 311332 was distorting. I mentioned it as a potential problem depending on alloy and velocity. What is distorted is your interpretation of what I posted. I corrected your misinterpretation in that thread. While I do appreciate your continual attention wouldn't it be better to stick to facts?

Larry Gibson

Well lary,
    This IS exactly what you said about the 311332 scaper groove. Underlining is mine.

"The exact same thing will/is happen(ing) to the OP's 311332 cast bullets."

Are you deigning that?

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

And it possibly was frank, just as I stated in my original post in that thread.....like most "potential" solutions to problems posted here it was a suggestion of something to consider. I did not cast, load or shoot the bullets in the OPs rifle, neither did you. Anything either of us profer is simply an opinion on what might be the problem. What we suggest may or may not be fact. There is no way either of us is going to prove it one way or the other isthere? frank...........you really need to give it a rest. Why don't you just put me on "ignore" and save yourself a lot of heartburn trying to continually prove me wrong on any and every inconsequental point.

Larry Gibson

L Ross
    What I'd really be interested in is seeing whether the collective wisdom of the most experienced casters on this forum believe the OP's original question is even remotely possible.
    If I have misinterpreted his meaning I hope he corrects me. I understood him to ask this group, is it feasible/possible to create a cast bullet, using a Magma Master Caster, to replicate the results he is currently getting by shooting 175 gr. Sierra Match Kings in a highly accurate custom bolt action .308 for shooting long range? Furthermore his idea of accuracy was stated as hopefully 1/2 moa.
    I have personally witnessed cast bullets being used to shoot some very small groups at ASSRA/ISSA matches where the individually hand cast, weighed and pampered bullets were loving breech seated into fine single shot rifles. The single case being carefully oriented into the chamber each time. These groups were shot at 200 yards. I got the feeling the OP was more likely talking 600 yards and wanted to mass produce his bullets. So am I nuts to think his goal is futile?

Duke

Boolit Grand Master

Just so folks reading this thread can see the difference in the boolits discussed.

Left > NOE 311284
    Center > Lyman 311332
    Right > NOE 311365

Name:	NOE 311284 30 Cal RNGC-small.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	98034 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	311332.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	98030 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NOE SPGC 311365 30 Cal-small.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	98035

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by L Ross View Post
    I got the feeling the OP was more likely talking 600 yards and wanted to mass produce his bullets. So am I nuts to think his goal is futile? Duke
    I'll agree that it sounds like a lofty goal but possibly not futile. For many of us a good deal of the fun is in the journey.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member