WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best 308 Cast bullet

Boolit Master
    lee 160 & 180g gas checked work well in my 1:10 savage with 18g 2400

Boolit Master
    I agree with Larry post#10 about using 311041 with it's flat point for hunting or the RCBS 30-180 FN and would try for a velocity of 1800-2000 for hunting and plinking.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had good luck in the 308 with the lee 113 fp up to the 311407 180 gr. Pick a flat pointed bullet and a powder, it is a fairly forgiving cartridge.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

First you need to check "YOUR" rifle for size - not all 308's chambers are the same. Once you determine what will fit your rifle (.308, .310, .311, .312 etc) then you need to determine what you are trying to do with it (gallery loads, big game hunting, long range shooting) As a rule of thumb it's easier to get the larger 170+ grain in 30 caliber to shoot as long as you don't go overboard.
    Now how much do you want to spend - is this your first fling and your not sure your going to get into
    casting in a big way? - 170 or 180 LEE mold is a good starting point without breaking the bank.
    I choose the RCBS 180 to start with - it shoots pretty good in "MY" rifles
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    What Artful said. If the throat in your rifle proves to be on the generous side, the typical .309 sizer that is widely used for 30-06, 308, and 30-30 bullets probably won't give the best results. Bullet fit is king, then you can worry about the profile. Having said that, the best accuracy at higher velocities (2350 fps) I've been able to consistently achieve (1.5" - 2" @ 100 every time) was with the Lyman 311041, quenched, sized to fit the throat, lubed with LBT soft, and loaded over a maximum charge of WC860 in a 30-06. I would probably pick the slowest powder suitable for a .308 if looking for higher velocity. WC860 is probably too slow in the 308.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." -Gerald Ford

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." -Thomas Jefferson

That's good to hear. I just picked up a 6 cav lee semi custom plain base version of Lyman's 311041. The same seller had a few of the gas checked version. I'm planning to use it in both 308 and 30-06
    In the market for a multicavity Mi-Hec 9mm HP mold.

I presently cast for .380 ACP, 9mm, .38/.357, 30 cal and .45 and 12 Ga slug.
    I am particularly grateful for the help I have gotten from members Red333 and MSRdiver, and OLD Para (who made a crazy mold on my design!!!!!) as well as excellent guides by Recluse for his ideal lube process. I have been experimenting with poly coating too.

PM me if you know of a very cheap source of birdshot, or an efficient way to make #4 Buck.

There are probably a few members of this fraternity who live near you who might share some different examples of their favorite cast boolits so you can try them.

With .308 and .30/06, I have had good luck with 311299 and Lee C309-160-R.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have had good luck in the 308 with the lee 113 fp up to the 311407 180 gr. Pick a flat pointed bullet and a powder, it is a fairly forgiving cartridge.
    Flat pointed powder? What do you recommend? My eyes aren't good enough to inspect grains of powder any longer. Must be something like 4895 or 4831. There is nothing flat about the H-335 that I like.

Moderator Emeritus

Check your quote again jay, it still reads flat pointed bullet and a powder, not a flat pointed bullet and a flat pointed powder. It is still hard to find any of the usual suspects when choosing 308 powders that doesn't work.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Thanks everyone for your replies it has got me thinking and that can be a bad thing sometimes. Thanks again. BD1
    If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to.
    This is the last stand on earth.
    R.R. 1964

Have you slugged your barrel and throat?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."