MCD ProductsInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting With .223 Home Swaged Bullets From .22 Cases

Hunting With .223 Home Swaged Bullets From .22 Cases

I've noticed members mentioning hunting with these thin skinned bullets every once in awhile and I'm kind of thinking that some have misconceptions about hunting with them. When I first started swaging them, I did quite a bit of testing to see how they might work for hunting. From what I've experienced, (shooting them into water jugs and wet newspaper); they basically explode on contact. Even the water jug test was very disappointing, with no weight retention at all; just pieces left in the jug. I even tried soldering the core to the jacket using flux and a torch, and that wasn't much better. The only game I'd consider hunting with .223 is Javelina (our local small pig), but I figure my .243 is better suited for that task (especially for longer shots). I guess there are some out there that like to blow up rodents, but that's not my bag; I hunt for meat on the table. Anyway, if you're thinking of hunting with these highly frangible bullets for decent sized game; you're probably going to be sorely disappointed and end up with alot of fur flying and a very unclean kill. If you hunt with .223, you may want to save your good hunting bullets for hunting; and shoot the swaged bullets from .22 cases for practice at steel targets and such (we all need to practice). Just my 2 cents, and I'll probably be viciously attacked now.
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    good to see you are still on CB! good insights as usual backed with experience

No argunment here. I will say that you are right. I've tried coyote hunting with them as well and even with a steel bb and a small rifle primer as a partition, they still didn't give me one shot kills like the sierra gamekings that I have been shooting for years.

Boolit Buddy

Here comes the vicious attack!!! No really, I completely understand,respect and advisde the caution being advised by Howard......however I have experienced the complete opposite when using COWW as a lead core. I have shot through 3-4 1"-1-1/2 thick phone books and it goes through them all and not a trace to be found as it continued to penetrate into the earth. Thats my experience. I dont think I want to test it out on an animal (cats not included) though, until I have a little more experience with my new set of dies mixed with WW.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by yruiz View Post
    No argunment here. I will say that you are right. I've tried coyote hunting with them as well and even with a steel bb and a small rifle primer as a partition, they still didn't give me one shot kills like the sierra gamekings that I have been shooting for years.
    HaHa, you did what with what???

Boolit Master
    Match the cartridge to the bullet. They work good for hunting with a 22 Hornet for the things one would hunt with a hornet.
    They are absolutely perfect for my 22 Cooper on fox. On a broad side shot they penetrate to the hide on the off side and show classic mushroom expansion.
    I use them for coyote hunting in my 221 Fire Ball. With a solid hit they don't shoot through and since I shoot coyotes for the fur that is what I want.
    They work about the same as the Sierra Blitz or the Hornady SX or the Speer TNT.
    We also have a lot of cotton tail rabbits where I am living now and I will not hesitate to use them on rabbits for the table. Since shots at rabbits are generally close usually less than 25 yards and head shots are the norm there is no problem there even using a 223.
    For bigger animals than a coyote I would rather change calibers to 24 or 25 than change bullets in a 22.

Perma-Banned

the reason i mentioned it is mainly because i amn interested in shooting them out of my 16 " ar15.
    i lose quite a bit of velocity out of that rifle and so i am not as worried as i would be out of a longer barreled bolt uhaction.
    plus i am intrigued by what you all do here and hogs are a good testing ground for odd ideas.
    if i get one through the onside shoulder and it goes to pieces in their lungs thats fine

Boolit Buddy

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    Match the cartridge to the bullet. They work good for hunting with a 22 Hornet for the things one would hunt with a hornet.
    They are absolutely perfect for my 22 Cooper on fox. On a broad side shot they penetrate to the hide on the off side and show classic mushroom expansion..
    +1 for using the right projectile for the job. The jackets are thin and will expand. They are excellent on the light skinned animals that I hunt. The pills basically self destruct on Anything under 100 meters. They go in and pulp the internals. After that as the velocity decreases they mushroom beautifully.
    These pills have taken, rabbits, Wallaby, cats and the odd wild dog with absolute authority within 200m with the K-hornet Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	95582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	95583.
    This was pulled out of a wallaby (under permit) shot at about 150m. Removed from the far side of entry from just under the skin.
    The bloke out in the field is always right until proven otherwise.

From what I've seen about hog hunting in Texas, I think I'd be looking to use .308 as a minimum size cartidge on those things. Man, some of them look huge! What's the old saying about bringing enough gun?
    Quote Originally Posted by 300savage View Post
    the reason i mentioned it is mainly because i amn interested in shooting them out of my 16 " ar15.
    i lose quite a bit of velocity out of that rifle and so i am not as worried as i would be out of a longer barreled bolt uhaction.
    plus i am intrigued by what you all do here and hogs are a good testing ground for odd ideas.
    if i get one through the onside shoulder and it goes to pieces in their lungs thats fine
    Never in history has there been a situation so bad that the government couldn't make it worse.
    A foolish faith in authority is the enemy of the truth.

Perma-Banned

well your exactly right if a person wants to retrieve his hog. but there are other times like tonight when i just want to get lead in as many as i can.
    i am waiting right now for the dogs to start barking which will tell me that the destructive suckers that tore up part of a pasture last night are back. when that happens i am stepping on my quad with a spotlight and mini 14 and i am going to try and shoot as many as i can get bullets in as fast as i can.
    aint pretty work, but its what we have to do sometimes.

Boolit Man
    300savage
    used to do a lot of business with Bill and Dave Christsan bros. They operated the Southern clay products
    from your city. maybe before your time
    Larry

Perma-Banned

Larry i knew Bill fairly well and liked him.
    he passed away from heart disease a bit more than a year ago i believe though i cant remember the date.
    he was one of the good ones.

Boolit Buddy

300Savage,

You need night vision and a suppressor on a 300 AAC Blackout. Knock a whole herd down and they wouldn't know they were going missing.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Perma-Banned

well i ended up falling asleep. its 2am now and the dogs woke me up finally, however when i stepped outside there is pea soup fog in the pecan bottom where they are and its cold as a witches nipples.
    pigs win this round looks like.
    but there is always tomorrow, and i am going to set a couple traps.
    thank goodness for pigs,, life is so good that without them i wouldnt have a dang thing to gripe about.
    now if i could just get the dogs to shut up so i can dream about clear full moon warm nights when i can slip through the pecans and blast the snot out of a few.
    or maybe just one.
    bassturds .. nite all.

Boolit Master

No flames from here either i have thought the same but they do perform very well at lower velocity at 2500 f/s they stay together and mushroom quite well. My use of them has been mostly on paper and a few pests when i want them to explode on impact i have even made some with shot cores i found that "Compressed"#9 shot was useless for anything bigger than a possum but "Compressed"#2 shot did have great promise. Most of my experimenting was in 223 Remington i also shot in .221 fireball pistol and in 300 savage and 30-06 in sabots . The bullets did shoot well in the sabots at very high velocity (I did not chronograph exact speed) they had even less penetration in water than from a 223 but were a bullet from the 223 smeared on a old brake rotor from the sabots they left a 1/2" deep crater. I would like to try those on coyotes.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    I think it would be interesting to get after them with some of the old prison guard guns like the 401 and 351 Win self loading.
    How about a real Thompson?
    I think they made extra long mags for the old 401 and 351 guard guns. Even an old model 8 Rem would make it interesting.
    I have some old load data for shooting the Lyman 280gn RN in a model 8 35 rem.
    That should work in layers if you can be like Mathew Quigley and get two idiots to line up in his sights.
    How about a Rem auto in 358 Win or 35 Whelen?
    I better quit now cuz I am getting an itch to come down and give aid to your cause.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    I think it would be interesting to get after them with some of the old prison guard guns like the 401 and 351 Win self loading.
    How about a real Thompson?
    I think they made extra long mags for the old 401 and 351 guard guns. Even an old model 8 Rem would make it interesting.
    I have some old load data for shooting the Lyman 280gn RN in a model 8 35 rem.
    That should work in layers if you can be like Mathew Quigley and get two idiots to line up in his sights.
    How about a Rem auto in 358 Win or 35 Whelen?
    I better quit now cuz I am getting an itch to come down and give aid to your cause.
    You're gettin' an itch? I'm sitting down here half the state away. My daughter was born in Victoria, I served as Security Officer for N.A.S. Chase Field in Beeville, TX. Gonzales is just about 4.5 hours south of me here in DFW. I used to wander the rivers in that area looking for glass shrimp to sell to the 5 & 10 cent stores. Would like to be in the old home area. Shootin' some bacon would just be icing on the cake.

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

I think I'd have to agree with the prospector and yruiz on this. I've been yote hunting with a friend of mine a few times with bullets made from rimfire cases and they didn't do a very good job at all as far as my friend and I experienced. Big entrance wounds most of the time, pretty much ruining the pelts, and had to shoot more than once every time. As far as trying to kill larger game like a 3 or 400 pound pig, seems like a worse idea. I'm looking to get a set of dies to make these bullets from rimfire cases myself right now, but mostly to use for plinking and target shooting--that way I don't waste my good bullets. They're getting too dang expensive. Shooting rabbits with them seems like too much gun, .22 lr is plenty good for that. I'm new here so don't jump down my throat now, it's just what I've seen first hand.

Boolit Master
    I shoot coyotes with them in the 221 FB and so far never needed more than one. Broad side hits behind the shoulder are perfect as they don't shoot through.
    When I first started swaging about 30 years ago I shot a doe mule deer in the neck at about 50 yards with one from a 22/250 and it pretty much took the head off accept for a little hide on each side of the hole. The 22/250 is a bit much for them.

Boolit Master
    I think if I was to use my .223 Rem swags I'll stick to the 60-63 gr or 70 +gr to get enough mass to ensure penertration an do only broadside shots. And anyone who thinks yotes always drop in one shot haven't hunted them much or only do headshots. I've lost a few with perfect broadside with very exspensive varmit bullets used. If and when I get the time and weather I'm going to see what my bullets will do on yotes-bet on it. My lighter bullets 40-55 will be used for Wisselpigs and such.