Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cast revolver squirell hunting

Boolit Master

cast revolver squirell hunting

after being only one in area to see 0 legal deer thought id try revolver small game. yesterday hit squirrel 15 yds with 44 240swc center mass suprisingly no meat loss. today hit a closer one with snub 38 wadcutter 2.7bulls load. being my first revolver or cast kills and small targets i was pretty happy

Perma-Banned

I think they might call that overkill for a squirrel!!!! I use a 32 long myself which is still overkill but oh well.

Boolit Master
    I got one with a 9mm , over kill but use what you have on you , actually lost almost no meat i hit him right in the middle

sometimes they just make themselves a target

How 'bout barkin' a tree rat with a 45/70?
    Deer hunters with no deer get creative to eat supper.
    Sad to say I missed the tree, hit the tree rat, and had to drive to town for dinner....
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

I like hunting with my 9mm HiPower and my S&W 686+ with a light load using cast SWC's. Surprisingly, it doesn't mess up very much meat. I still shoot some from time to time with a .22 LR, but it's more fun and great practice with the bigger ones.

I got one with a 190grFP deer load in a 4" with no meat lost. It was an opportunity so I took it and was surprised at the lack of lost meat. Was pre-gutted though.

Boolit Buddy
    years ago, i was walking down the railroad track to one of my favorite shooting spots when i looked up and saw a squirrel sitting on the rail. Thought that i'd give it a try, problem was, i was carrying a ruger super blackhawk in 44 mag. it was loaded with a 240 gr cast boolit and 7.5 gr unique. at the shot the squirrel crumpled. figured like you guys that it was over kill and i had probably blown it to pieces. upon examination, i couldn't even find a drop of blood on the squirrel. finally stretched him out enough to see that the boolit went thru the base of his tail and fried his nervous system. Hardly no damage at all other than that.
    siamese4570

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catboat View Post
    S&W model 49 "humpback" and hit the woods.
    Only on Wednesdays. LOL

Boolit Master
    I prefer a 32 s&w long loaded with 98 grain rn cast for squirrell.
    while deer hunting in december i had my rossi 92 and ruger super redhawk both in 44 mag. Never seen any deer but several squirrell. I shot one with the revolver center mass and clean kill with minimal damage.
    Lab

Boolit Master

Light 38 spec light wadcutter loads are great for squirrel targets of opportunity while deer hunting.
    A 6" M 14 is my choice...dale

I see tons of squirrels when deer hunting. Many fewer when squirrel hunting.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Boolit Buddy
    Isn't that always the case.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Master
    A couple of years ago, I went turkey hunting in the fall. No turkeys, but plenty of squirrels. Had some within 20 ft, so that gave me an idea to try squirrel hunting with my .22 pistol. Next time I went out looking for squirrels, someone must of ratted on me, because the only squirrel I saw, wouldn't let me get within rifle range, let alone pistol range.

I shot one a few years ago with my .357. I was out walking with the dogs and one of them treed the squirrel and that was all I had with me. It did more damage than a .22 but, not really all that bad. I was using a 158 gr. swc load.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    A couple of years ago, I went turkey hunting in the fall. No turkeys, but plenty of squirrels. Had some within 20 ft, so that gave me an idea to try squirrel hunting with my .22 pistol. Next time I went out looking for squirrels, someone must of ratted on me, because the only squirrel I saw, wouldn't let me get within rifle range, let alone pistol range.
    So true. On WMA land around here you have to get WAY off the beaten path for tree rats. It's like they see the .22 revolver and are like uh-oh this man is serious or either really stupid. I have found you can sit super still and wait em out though. They will eventually get stupid again and offer a shot.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Same story as the OP, no deer in sight so on the way back to camp plucked one with a .40 and a Federal Hydrashock....it puréed the chest cavity and the exit was smaller than expected but later I figured the sqirrel wasnt dense enough to fully expand the bullet.
    Again, overkill but the alternative was my brother in law trying to get me to take it with a .300 Win mag and a 150g Hornady SST....

az-jim
    "You believe these people exist to provide you with position, I believe your position exists to provide these people with FREEDOM"

FREEEEEEEEDOMM-William Wallace

Boolit Mold
    It ain't a revolver but I got me a Handi rifle in .38/.357mag and a bunch of 158gr. 38 special loads for my next trip to the squirrel woods. Gonna be a blast.

Boolit Master
    I wish I could pursue small game with cast bullets here in Louisiana but we are not allowed. It is illegal here. I envy you guys who can.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    I wish I could pursue small game with cast bullets here in Louisiana but we are not allowed. It is illegal here. I envy you guys who can.
    not legal in pa.must .23 cal or smaller rimfire or centerfire/ .40 cal or smaller muzzleloader also

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba15301 View Post
    not legal in pa.must .23 cal or smaller rimfire or centerfire/ .40 cal or smaller muzzleloader also
    Here the regulations allow only rimfire, shotgun no larger than 10 gauge, archery, or black powder no larger than 36 cal.