Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Repackbox

Thread: May have just ruined a scope!

Boolit Master

May have just ruined a scope!

About 15 minutes ago, I opened my safe, reached in and pulled out my Ruger M77. It snagged on the scope cover of a T/C Contender barrel. The 18" 7-30 Waters tipped over (stored muzzle down on the safes carpeting), fell out and smacked the hardwood flooring with a bang. It hit I believe, on the windage knob cover. It's a Redfield Revenge. There's no broken glass or dents, but something must be outta whack from the sound it made hitting the floor. Will be a while before I know. Anybody ever done this? And what happened?
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

Well, Don't know if it's messed up or not, but you may be about to learn what Redfield repair is like...

Ive dropped scopes a few times, once down as set of stairs. Most of the time they just get knocked out of zero. If rhey hold zero you have a good scope lol.

Redfield is a good scope so it will probably be OK. I've done the same thing with a Nikon scope and it was fine, though a little scratched. You won't know for sure until you take it to the range.

Boolit Master

Uh-oh.

I have done similar.

I have a Burris 2x handgun scope that has the eyepiece bell flattened 1/8".

Ugly but works fine.

You might have knocked it out of zero, but I doubt very seriously that you have "ruined" the scope.

(I hope)
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Try a box test - if it works ok - then good enough - otherwise off for repairs.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Mold
    I dropped my rifle about 25 ft. outa the stand several years ago. It still have the rifle and the same Redfield scope on it today. I thought all was lost but it never even affected it. Still zeroed today as it was before the fall. Be confident they are quality scopes.

Boolit Buddy
    Been there, done that. Usually if there is no visible damage you are good to go. Did it to a Bushnell Elite 3200 mounted on a Browning 7mm-08 a few weeks ago. Was just slightly out of zero.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Master
    Look thru the scope backwards and you can see if any of the glass is broken.

Banned

redfields are made by leupold. Box it up and send it in. the will check it and fix anything wrong with it for free

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by wallenba View Post
    Anybody ever done this? And what happened?
    Sure have, though not in the same manner. About 15 years ago I was hauling my 11-87 SPS into my treestand by means of a rope. A sudden gust of wind drove the entire rig scope first into one of my screw in tree steps. There was a huge gouge into the aluminum of the ocular housing. The scope being a Leupold 1-4X.

After the requisite period of whining and bellyaching I fetched my Ithaca from the truck and went hunting. After the season a little time at the range confirmed zero had shifted less than an inch at 100 yards. Mechanically the scope was fine. Had it not been so, I'd had sent it back to leupold with confidence. I still use it today on a .30-30 still bearing the idiot scratch as a reminder.

Long story short, been there, done that. It may not be as bad as you think. If it is broken, what recourse do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

That just reminded me of a guy I know that kept most of his guns in an old school locker. a bunch of us would always gather at his place for coffee and shootin the **** and he would always go to pull a gun out of the locker and crash * bang out would fall half the rifles.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!