Reloading EverythingRepackboxMCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garand Rebarrel

CMP would be your best bet.they now work on garands.a criterion barrel is just under 200. Then you need an action wrench,pull through chamber reamer(you can rent),and a barrel wrench.just for one rifle you would be far ahead to let cmp do it for you.I forgot gauges too.

I would stay away from the itallian 308 barrels.I think they were cut down and re-chambered.hand guard and op rod are shorter too.just my 2cents

Boolit Man
    I bought a CMP field grade Garand and re-barrelled it with a Criterion .308 barrel right away. I did replace the gas tube with one of the Garand Guy's hard chromed plated and rebored tubes, but nothing else. I am getting 2 1/2" groups with German DAG surplus at 100yds without any other modifications. I'd say that's pretty good. By changing to .308, you can use newer .308 ammo without worrying about having to change the gas plug. The Garand Guy sold me barrel and installed it for $250, matching Shuff's price. No shipping for me, made the deal sweet. He did it white I waited, and it took less than 1 hour with the right tools. In addition, the Garand Guy swapped out all of my non-period correct parts with the correct ones for my January 1945 wartime Springfield Garand (except the new CMP wood furniture).

Last edited by Worn_Holster; 02-05-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Worn Holster, that's a good looking M1 you got there. Sounds like it shoots good too.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

I've talked to a Highpower Gunsmith (Schuff's)in Michigan who will be rebuilding this 7mm Mauser garand for me very shortly. Once its built I'll let everyone know how she operates.

Bruce
    Last edited by bruce drake; 02-08-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

The barrel arrived in today's mail. It is in beautiful condition. NOS all the way. original barrel wrap as well! Now I need to mike the gasport and prep the receiver and bolt for a barrel swap. It will need a finish reamer run in it after it is installed and hopefully it will be ready by fall as Schuff's Gunsmithing in Jerome MI has 60-80 day turn-around on his work. Tim said he's never done a 7mm Mauser Garand before but he's willing to put the barrel on for $50 if I was to get it headspaced myself. Right now, the barrel's chamber will accept a 257 Roberts dummy round but will not accept a 260 Remington (6.5-08) dummy round with makes me pretty certain that the 7mm-08 Brownell's label on the wrap was a mislabel and that when Gene Barnett stamped it 7mm Mauser...He meant 7mm Mauser! Right now it is definitely short-chambered by at least .10" (calibrated eyeball) so I'll need to use a finish reamer when it comes back from Schuff's. So, the next step on this thread is for me to tear down the Garand for mailing the parts and barrel to Tim. While they are in Michigan getting the work done on it, I'll make a point of refurbishing the other metal parts and the wooden stock for when the barreled receiver and bolt return. I'll follow up as this project moves forward.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Bruce,

Question for you - without having a "pull through" 7MM reamer, how are you going to get the reamer turned in the barreled action and get it turned? Or are you going to have a custom reamer made that works with a pull through?

Boolit Master

Dave,

Coming back to this thread just to provide an update. I used a standard chamber reamer and I reamed the chamber by hand using an extension socket and a universal socket to allow my turn the reamer by hand while still working with the closed end of the receiver. cut once and measure twice is the doctrine for this. I used the stripped bolt to make sure that the bolt would close on a dummy round and a GO/NO gauge set to ensure the chamber was cut to SAAMI spec.

I have a thread already built on this rifle in this forum so I won't hijack this original thread. Its a beautiful shooting rifle. 7x57 is almost a perfect cartridge for this rifle. minimal recoil and great accuracy. I just haven't developed a cast load yet for this rifle as I built this rifle up for use in NRA Highpower rifle competitions in honor of KyWoodworker who sent this rifle barrel to me out of the blue. Perhaps this summer, I'll find a good cast load for this rifle as well. I'm thinking of building a load using a 160-170gr mold once I have some time set aside for range development.

Recently i made a barrel vise for my 1903-a3. I just soaked the threads in liquid wrench for a day before i took the barrel off. I used about a 24 inch pipe and it popped loose just fine. When i put the barrel back on i put antiseize on the threads.

Boolit Master
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.