Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ducth Oven for Melting Lead?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillo View Post
    I've used mine (I now have and use three (3) of them) for a number of years. Best bang for your buck. I bought mine at the Academy sporting goods store for pretty cheap.
    What he said.

Boolit Master

Seems a shame to use a quality cast iron dutch oven to melt lead. They create such nice biscuits and pies.

I use a heavy duty steel pot.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

I've got two cast iron dutch ovens, bought before they started coming from China. Never thought about trying to hasten cooling when finished cleaning up WW. Too much other clean up to worry about hurrying the cool down.

If I had a lot of WW to clean, I used a large pot fabricated from a 12" steel pipe with a 1/2" steel bottom. All this stuff is now stored at a farm a friend owns. His son may want it some day. My sons are not interested.
    John
    W.TN

Good thread I just bought a CI dutch oven from Tractor supply for $10 to do what the OP wants to do (I think). I want to use it to mix/flux my alloys then pour it into my Lyman ingot mould. From there I would use the ingots of ready alloy in my Lyman Big Dipper for bullet casting. I have not tried it yet but will follow advice of letting it cool by itself.

Semper Fi
    Last edited by Usmc1968; 02-02-2014 at 08:48 AM.

I bought a dutch oven and used it quite a bit for smelting range lead. Then I had a welder friend of mine cut a propane tank in half for me. Both work very well, but I prefer the cut tank because of the round bottom and the ease of getting almost all of the melt out of it easily.

Let me add some info here. When heated a Dutch oven can crack easily if any external striking pressure is applied to the oven. One example of this would be smacking a metal skimming spoon on the side if the oven. Don't ask me how I now this...just know that I know it. Never smack a hot Dutch oven filled with lead with anything stronger than a wet cigarette butt.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamDahl View Post
    Most of the turkey cookers that I've seen have had aluminum pots with them. Most people recommend against smelting lead in aluminum pots since it's melting point is 1221F and lead's is 621F. I have seen aluminum melted with just a propane flame before and it gets significantly weaker prior to getting to the melting point.
    Can you explain what you mean? If the al melting point is roughly twice that of lead how is that dangerous unless you run it dry over the heat?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I use a heavy cast iron dutch oven for smelting and casting ingots. No problem so far.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Can you explain what you mean? If the al melting point is roughly twice that of lead how is that dangerous unless you run it dry over the heat?
    It doesn't melt, but it gets very weak at the temperatures involved in smelting. It can bulge, sag, collapse or even burst. This is generally regarded as a "bad thing."
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

In Remembrance

Aluminum can fatigue with repeated use. A few minutes inattention can let the melted lead reach 900-1000 degrees and more. 50-100 lbs. of molten lead can ruin you day, or life. Don't risk it.

Mine has been working fine. Cheap import that it is. A work of caution. I don't care where the cast iron was made, it's not a great idea to beat on a pot containing several quarts of molten lead regardless of where it was made. Beat the slag spoon against the slag container (not the melt pot); why would you want to knock slag back into the melt you're trying to clean? Nor to cool the pot when you're done by dunking it in a tub of water. Nor to dump cold WW into the melt (use a spoon).

A bit of caution when dealing with quantities of molten metal pays off in many ways.

All that said, I'd still looking to get one of Mr. Crockett's steel pots when I get off of my duff.
    Last edited by dudel; 02-02-2014 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    It doesn't melt, but it gets very weak at the temperatures involved in smelting. It can bulge, sag, collapse or even burst. This is generally regarded as a "bad thing."

+1 My first pot was the aluminum one that came with the turkey fryer. First time smelting, and I wanted to get started. When I was done and the pot cooled off, I noticed the bottom of the pot had sagged to match the grating on the fryer! I thanked my guardian angel, and never used that pot again. Smashed it with a small sledge to make sure no one else would either, then threw it away.

YMMV, you may get a thicker aluminum pot; you may also get a thinner one.

Banned

I got two from DCrockett and have a couple tanks from scrap yard to do my own. I heard he stopped selling them but hope that is not true. Possible, closed for winter. Regardless, a cut propane tank has many advantages especially the round bottom.

Boolit Bub
    I've been using a cast iron Dutch oven I got at the flea market for $5. Been working well for smelting my wheel weights.

Boolit Man
    My big concern is for the future. My hope is that each person that uses a dutch oven or cast iron skillet to melt lead in will permenently mark them with a skull and cross bones. That way thirty years from now some unsuspecting person will not be buying it from e-bay to cook biscuits in.

Boolit Grand Master

Lead will seep into the cast iron because it is porus(sp) but will it do so to stainless steel?

I would not think so

Well, i love my old dutch oven for smelting ingots from range scrap... And with the lid on, i dont have to worry about the poping and tinsel fairys flying around.... A very safe method as the lids are heavy... Even once had a live round get mixed in, and was completely contained due to the cast lid.... It was a 22 rimfire, but still could have gotten a visit from the dreaded tinsel fairy....

AG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    First of all, it's not TWICE. To use terms like that, you need to use a temperature scale based on an absolute zero (e.g. Rankine or Kelvin). Since I quoted in Fahrenheit, let's go with Rankine then.

R = F + 460

Thus 621F = 1081R and 1221F = 1681R.

As such, if you are operating at 621F (1081R), you are at 88.5% of the melting point of Aluminum (1221F / 1681R).

It loses it's structural strength as it gets hotter and the weight of a pot full of lead might just be enough have it structurally fail and make your life miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.aluminiumdesign.net/why-aluminium/properties-of-aluminium
    Strength

Aluminium alloys commonly have tensile strengths of between 70 and 700 MPa. The range for alloys used in extrusion is 150 – 300 MPa. Unlike most steel grades, aluminium does not become brittle at low temperatures. Instead, its strength increases. At high temperatures, aluminium’s strength decreases. At temperatures continuously above 100°C, strength is affected to the extent that the weakening must be taken into account.
    NATURAL BORN CITIZEN = offspring of TWO US citizens
    Just because they are constantly playing the Race Card, it doesn't mean that we should allow them to get away with raping our Constitution.

Most problems in life can be solved with sufficient quantities of high explosives -- or with penicillin.

More about me

Boolit Grand Master

Uh..no. a different scale has different gradiants. 621f + 621f = 1242f. 1221f Al so roughly twice that of lead on F scale.
    This is besides the point. Your last paragraph answered the question I had. The hotter it gets the more elastic and the weight of the lead will deform it to the point of failure.
    That's an interesting graph. I'm surprised at the rapid failure of Al. Thanks

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have dropped the bottom out of an AL pot that seemed to be pretty heavy and before I'd read all the warnings. Not worth it, thankfully it was ''just''10#.

A year or so ago I damaged a ''good'' Dutch Oven w/a live round of presumed sorted clear lead. That resulted in something like 70# of lead on the driveway. That said,just a week ago I found a replacement for it. It is smaller but much heavier pot , I trust the CI pots as much as any ,and I think the CI controls the temp better than steel . That's probably subjective like the CI ''feeling'' safer.
    I did cast from a 2qt CI pot for a couple of yr. I would offer that it is tempting to use the largest pot you can get to do your smelting and cleaning in be mindful of how much weight you are putting in your pot and how much your heat source will carry.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .