RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you use for loading blocks?

Boolit Man

what do you use for loading blocks?

I load a lot of slugs and buckshot and need a loading block that will hold
    the shells upright . I have read the plastic MTM brand wont work for that. what do you suggest?

Boolit Master

A block of wood and a drill press. You can make your own loading blocks for super cheap, in any size you need/want.

Banned

ditto, just get the right drill bit, that will leave a flat bottom, get a nice 2x6 and drill some holes OR

get two 1/2" boards.

drill holes all the way though the one, in the pattern you want your shells in, Then nail/screw/glue (your choice) the other board to the bottom of the one. Taaa daaa, shell holder.

Boolit Master

I did mine like Blammers second method I drilled through 3/4 thick board then put a thin board on the bottom. I made a few of them to hold ten hulls at a time to save space on the bench. FB

When my ole man was building the SST (Super Sonic Transport) @ Boeing, he made 6 racks to hold 50 cases each. I still have two of them.
    Darn aircraft grade titanium lasts forever. He made these is 1966.
    They fit everything I do except 45/70 which someone gave me two Midway wooden trays, which really work well
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    While I do have a couple of the plastic trays from back when I first started, all that I have made/used since then have been from scrap 1 x 6's. A drill press w/a Forstner bit and away you go.

Call me cheap but just don't call me late.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    While I am sure you have your reasons I'm not sure why one would need a loading block doing buck or slugs ?

When I load them on my MEC Jr's I load a shell at a time start to finish . And then put them in a box .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    While I am sure you have your reasons I'm not sure why one would need a loading block doing buck or slugs ?

When I load them on my MEC Jr's I load a shell at a time start to finish . And then put them in a box .
    Ding, ding, ding......we have a winener!!!

Cannot figure out why a loading block is needed for any reloading operation. But willing to learn.

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I can't see why you would need a loading block to reload slugs, but if it makes you happy go for it. I made a couple of loading blocks out of mahogany, to hold .308 and 30-06 brass. Have had them for years. They just sit in the cabinet and look pretty. My MTM tray gets the most use.

Boolit Buddy

If you have a drill press and Forstner bits, they are a piece of cake.
    INFIDEL

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Ding, ding, ding......we have a winener!!!

Cannot figure out why a loading block is needed for any reloading operation. But willing to learn.

Don Verna
    Well,personally I find it easier to do one stage at a time,visually inspecting as I go,thus I find a block darn near indispensable.Buck, slugs or round ball won,t feed thru the shot measure so it,s far easier to add the payload one block at a time.Then if you add buffer and vibrate it into the hull it,s easier if it,s on a solid base in front of you.YMMV Just my humble opinion....Cheers, Mike.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hardy View Post
    Well,personally I find it easier to do one stage at a time,visually inspecting as I go,thus I find a block darn near indispensable.Buck, slugs or round ball won,t feed thru the shot measure so it,s far easier to add the payload one block at a time.Then if you add buffer and vibrate it into the hull it,s easier if it,s on a solid base in front of you.YMMV Just my humble opinion....Cheers, Mike.
    To each his own !

I'll just agree to disagree

Boolit Man
    I like to do the same operation at the same time for all shells,(prime all, then charge all, then slugs) for better quality control
    I have a MEC GRABBER for high volume birdshot loads.

Boolit Master

I mainly use the blocks for loads with buffer and when roll crimping. If I am doing buckshot with a fold crimp I do it just like normal except adding shot by hand then goes into Mec shell stacker box filler cant remember what they call it. With roll crimp or adding buffer I fill the blocks then go over and crimp. That is all done on a Sizemaster on target loads I cut a hole in the bench and they go into a bucket with rags in the bottom. It is all just personal preference. FB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by savage308 View Post
    I like to do the same operation at the same time for all shells,(prime all, then charge all, then slugs) for better quality control
    I have a MEC GRABBER for high volume birdshot loads.
    When I started shotgun loading I used all Ponsness Warren 800's . Later when I stopped shooting skeet and trap I sold all four of them .

About 4 years ago I got back into loading shotgun shells 10 , 12 , 16 and 20 . Took me awhile to get a MEC 600 in 16 gauge . Anyway before I got the JR I used to go down to a friends and use his Ponsness Warren 800 as he had heads for all gauges . Anyway loading buckshot on that thing was a PITA . My ease of loading and shell quality improved dramatically using the cheap single stage MEC versus the high dollar high output PW loader . Don't get me wrong I still think PW makes the best loader money can buy . And I suppose if I had a PW 375 single stage for the 16 gauge it would produce better buckshot loads then the 800 as well .

Vendor Sponsor

I with the 'complete one at a time' crowd.

If you are loading Shotshells on a single stage press then it only makes sense to complete each round before moving to the next one.

It's kind of hard to load slugs or buckshot on a Progressive Press, so that only leaves two other methods for doing it. Single stage or hand tools

IF you are loading with a Lee Hand tool then I can see doing one op at a time. I'm surprised that the MTM trays wouldn't work. Isn't that what they are made for?

I load all my ammo like this and it is by far the safest way since you complete each round individually and it is almost impossible to screw one up. A Progressive Press pretty much makes this happen on it's own since that is just the way they work.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-30-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

PrecisionReloading(.com) has wood loading blocks for shot-shells if you don't want to make your own, picture below is a clickable link:

Boolit Man
    thanks turbo that's just what I was lookin for and needed to buy some more stuff from
    them anyway but when I hit the link they are out of the 12ga. just have to keep checking.
    thanks again

Boolit Grand Master
    It may more difficult to do with shotshells, but loading blocks are likely the chief cause of double charges when using light charges in pistol and rifle cases. Just a really bad way to reload IMHO as it does not make the finished product any better, nor increase production rate. And it is the easiest way to screw up and double charge.

It is good to share opinions. In the end we do what makes sense for each of us, and we can agree to disagree.

Don Verna
    Last edited by dverna; 02-01-2014 at 01:12 AM.

To avoid double charges put the powder in one shell, then insert at least the first wad your going to use into the shells mouth with your fingers indicating that shell has been charged. Then and only then charge the next shell.