Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Black Powder kit

Boolit Man

Black Powder kit

I just took delivery of this kit that will allow me to make about 6 and a half pounds of BP. I have not made any yet, but the ingredients are talc powder fine. See what you think:

http://www.hobbychemicalsupply.com/s...der-Kit/Detail

Perm-Banned
    let us know how it turns out and dont kill your self.

It is easy to make but safety is most important!

Rock tumbler from harbor freight is very useful. Use lead balls for milling. Lots of good info on pyrotechnics websites. Get a set of properly-sized mesh screens off eBay.

Boolit Man

I have made BP in the past, just not from ingredients from this company. I use the precipitation method to make the BP, so everything is done wet, not dry.
    My information comes from a copy of "CIA Field Expedient Preparation of Black Powders" that I obtained in the 70's.

Boolit Master
    Hobby Chemicals are good folks & I buy from them often.But they cater to us fireworks customers.
    Airfloat charcoal is many times made from hardwoods.It may not be as fast as say Black willow.

Fly

Boolit Master

Fly - I have willow trees growing near me. How do I know if these are Black willows? They are in Southeastern Michigan.

Boolit Master

wow, this is an even better deal than the other pyro site that was selling enough material for 9-10 lb of black for $40.

Boolit Mold
    Problem is...It costs more to ship than the product!

Steve

Boolit Master
    Well any willow will work.But black willow is the the best of the willow.Not a huge differance.If you want
    Black willow I sell it for $6 lb ground ready for ball milling.PM me if you need any.

Fly

Boolit Master

I am going to make some out of the willow that is available to me but it is good to know that you are a source. Can you tell me why it is important to remove the bark before heating?

Boolit Master
    Well if you don't remove the bark it will slow it down.If you have any willows that look dead
    use them.Not as much water in them to burn off when turning them into coal.Good luck!

Fly

Quote Originally Posted by Bosshaug View Post
    I have made BP in the past, just not from ingredients from this company. I use the precipitation method to make the BP, so everything is done wet, not dry.
    My information comes from a copy of "CIA Field Expedient Preparation of Black Powders" that I obtained in the 70's.
    One of the oldest known methods was a precipitation process - here's a description from Blackpowder Manufacturing, Testing & Optimizing by Ian Von Maltitz -

An early Chinese method (circa 600 AD) used a large marble slab to cool a hot mix of Black
    Powder. They did this by first blending together the sulfur and charcoal in a bowl. A saturated
    solution of potassium nitrate was then brought to the boil and the sulfur /charcoal mix added
    to it, with constant stirring.
    This hot mix was then rapidly cooled by pouring it onto a cold marble slab, and still stirred
    while cooling. This stirring aided the cooling process and ensured uniformity in the mix. One
    method they used to stir the mix was to pass a large stone roller back and forth over the cooling mass of Black Powder.
    In some respects this cool marble method is similar to the CIA method in that it works on the
    principle of rapidly cooling a saturated mix of Black Powder. I don't know of anyone who has
    tried to emulate this rather unique Chinese method of manufacture. Naturally it comes with
    the normal dangers associated with a hot mix of Black Powder. It also suffers from some of the deficiencies found in the CIA method, the most important of these being the need to mill the sulfur and charcoal and thoroughly blend these before mixing with the potassium nitrate.
    However, it does have an advantage over the CIA method in that there is less chance of losing
    potassium nitrate through leaching out.

One nice thing about this 1400-year-old recipe is that it doesn't use alcohol. As long as you don't use too much water, nothing drains off (carrying KNO3 with it).

Boolit Master
    OH oh another believer.
    Only suggestion. Watch your charcoal as Fly suggested. Asked what its made from before you purchase. As that one ingredient alone does make a difference in a recipe.