RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: emperial sizing wax, has anyone finished a can yet ?

Yes. I used a can while converting 223/556 to 300BLK. Took less than 2 months and about 6k pieces of brass. That was the small Redding can. I now have the Hornady jumbotron sized can, but have switched from a Rock Chucker to my 650 to process 300BLK brass, so am now using the Hornady One Shot case lube. Imperial sizing wax is good stuff,I just wish it was progressive friendly.

Boolit Master
    This is too funny. I think about this all the time when I reach for my 25 year old can of Imperial Sizing Die Wax..........Terrible business venture when you only get $2 from every customer for life!

Same goes for the Moly powder I bought thirty years ago and still have the bottle 90% full! After moly coating thousands of bullets!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    I was just thinking about my grandfathers reloading bench, there is a card board tube about 2 inches in dia that sits between the press and his Lyman#55 he always told me it was sizing lube. I recently asked him where he got it he laughed and reminded that he was a Pattern Maker for 50+ years (Translation "borrowed from work"). According to him the "Lube" is actually several times rendered Sheep Tallow!

According to him it was regularly used back in the day and generally was considered to be the finest lube substance available. To make a long story short I think he has us all beat. He claims that is the only tube he has ever had at home and it's the only one I can remember. It just keeps getting shorter over the years!

Cast Boolits Owner

I am on my second only because I cannot for the life of me find the first can amongst all the stuff on my bench. This is truly wonderful stuff compared to the spray on stuff I have tried. I do like the towel idea and will incorporate it in my process.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    I've reached the bottom, of just the center of the can. I bought two cans when I started using it. Now, I don't know why I did that, at the time it seemed prudent.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

I never used sheeps tallow but the ol timers swore by it. My granmother used it on her Singer Treadle sewing machine. She had a small tin of it in her sewing box. My grandfather used it on his reels also, you know, the old gear driven casting reels.

In Remembrance
    Ok, all this talk so I found some at sportsmans today. Are you guys talking about a itty bitty tin about twice the size of the percussion cap tins.

It doesn't look loke much for 7.99, but if it last for years, I guess it will be worth it. lol

How do you get that stuff OFF your cases after sizing?
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    How do you get that stuff OFF your cases after sizing?
    Hottest soapy water you can get, Dawn, lemishine. I use a costco sized bucket that once had cat litter in it. Shake it up a few times, let it set for 30 seconds to a minute and rinse. Putthe now sparkly brass on a towel and let it dry over night. You could also put in a 200F oven and kill the power to the oven and let it dry as the oven cools off. I've personally never had the guts to try that in my wife's oven... YMMV.
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." - Doug Patton

Boolit Master

To update the thread.

I just finally replaced my small tin of ISW last weekend...

Looking at the MSD on this product and a can of Mink Oil...They are almost identical.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I have a large tub of Wolverine Mink Oil (doesn't look at all like Imperial) that I'm gonna try sizing jwords and cases down with. I already have used Hornady's Unique case lube on my Wolverine boots.

about 1/2 way thru my second tin
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Dump it in the ultra -vib case cleaner for 2 hours.

Boolit Buddy
    i go through a small tin of the imperial sizing wax every couple of years to be honest
    when resizing the bmg cases you go through a lot of it versus the smaller cartridges
    but i also use a lanolin mix, wd40 sometimes when resizing bullets, i got a gallon of rce swagging lube in a horse trade im using up, mink oil, ive tried one shot, a couple tubes of lee lube, etc etc

all that said my go to lubes are home made lanolin mix and imperial sizing wax

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Mink Oil boot treatment does just as well and at a third of the cost for a bigger tin. that said, I'm on my 3rd tin in 18 years of reloading.
    I use the mink oil some times
    but the tin i have is to thick to use properly in the winter time
    it needs to heated up or thinned out with alcohol to really work properly

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    Just today out in my man cave , working thru a batch of 308 , have had this can of wax for a quite a spell ... even have a spare on the shelf but this stuff seems to last for a awfully long time ....can't remember when I picked it up last.
    Another thought .... going back a few years ... did they call this stuff "Dapper Dan" hair wax ? ....
    (Imperial) .. oops , spelling , my bad.
    I have neither finished a tin of Imperial nor a tub of Hornady Unique. Both work great, and I use both interchangeably.
    Bayou52
    NRA Life Member
    "Keep Calm and Reload"

Boolit Grand Master

On my fourth tin. Mostly using a lanolin mix or Hornady One-Shot Case Lube One Shot now.

My first two tins were the big ones from the late 60's early 70's.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 01-29-2014 at 11:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    I'm on my second tin. The first one lasted me for a LONG LONG time! Probably the best bargain ever.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Boolit Master
    I kind of get down to the bottom of the center of the tin. Then, I have to tape the tin to the bottom to the bench to keep it from moving around. Because I have to wipe from around the inside edges. Eventually, your fingertip can't get into that circular corner. Dig it out and put in the center. That's how mine progressed to the end. Now working on my second tin. Almost there, have two more spares. It takes me about a year and a half. Reloading here for myself and two others. Also, I had to wipe off the outer layers a few times when it got dirty. Residue transferred from cases to my finger.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Years and years ago I bought 3 of the 2 oz. tins of Imperial sizing wax ... so there will be some left over to bequeath in my estate too! This stuff IS a great product and it DOES last forever ... you just don't need very much of it to do the job and it does a great job ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!