Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where are y'all finding powder? Or are you?

Back in June, a member here had a huge lot of powder for local pick up. He worked up loads for a local custom gun maker so the customer immediately had a proven load to shoot with the gun. Well the drive was well worth it because I paid $10 a pound.

Boolit Buddy
    Yesterday I bought my first (as in ever, trying to get into reloading but components aren't around here) pound of powder. Today I bought my second and third so I'm up to one pound of Hodgdon H4350 and two pounds of IMR 4350. Tomorrow I'll go back and buy two pounds of Blue Dot (or whatevers left, 2lb limit).

I know the rifle powders are different enough to warrant their own load work up but they both are common enough in things that I'll be loading for initially, same with the Blue Dot.

Boolit Buddy
    We must be neighbors?
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I use a half tank of gas to get to Reno and back to buy powder. I usually get something to eat as well.

The hazmat fee is cheaper than my gas, and cheeseburgers are added to the tab!!! When you live in BFE, the hazmat fee starts to look a whole lot cheaper!

Boolit Bub
    I put in an order to Midsouth in March of 2013 and am still waiting on one of the powders to get in before it will ship. Would have quadrupled my order had I known what I know now. No knock on Midsouth as I like them just hard to come by powder these days.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm able to replace what I shoot.

Shilloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    I saw an 8 lb keg of bullseye for $145 today

Boolit Master
    I've had a hard time finding Reloader 15, I'll be driving about 40 miles one way to pick up a couple of pounds from a wholesaler I know......didn't even ask the cost.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hog Farm View Post
    I saw an 8 lb keg of bullseye for $145 today

<$19.00 per pound not a bad price. I picked up 8 pounders on 5744 and unique last fall. Left em in the box and packed in a tote. I still have powder is tin cans labeled "Improved Rifle powder".

Boolit Master
    I found some at a gunshow today and also at a local gunshop... selection is not what it used to be... I got some Herco, 4756(8#jug), 800-x, Steel, Blue Dot....

AA 4064 in most cases will do what Re15 or Varget does. It's slower than IMR 4064 and a short stick like Re 15 or H-Varget.
    I'm not pushing it just saying if you are out it's an option. AA4064 is one of my cast bullet powders and it burns clean.

Boolit Master
    A local gun store out here in Oregon has a full shelf. Went by and they had all the powders I needed. I left with none. The price was 46$ a pound. If you are in need Tillamook sporting goods has it in stock.

Boolit Bub
    $46 a pound... does it come with a happy ending....

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    A local gun store out here in Oregon has a full shelf. Went by and they had all the powders I needed. I left with none. The price was 46$ a pound. If you are in need Tillamook sporting goods has it in stock.
    I started getting excited until I saw the price, and then was not surprised at all when I saw the name of the store...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I started getting excited until I saw the price, and then was not surprised at all when I saw the name of the store...
    Imagine my surprised face when I saw all the powder on the shelf. It had the little price tags on it I couldn't see, so I asked the fat feller behind the counter to tell me the prices because my eyes are not that good. He was not surprises I said I would wait on it. I left shaking my head, but they do have powder if you have to have it. The prices of their guns are funny too.
    Last edited by xacex; 01-27-2014 at 12:05 AM.

Boolit Master

MY last order for primers & powder from GRAF & sons a few years ago was almost $1,000 and shipping & hazmat fees were free !

Boolit Master

MY last order for primers & powder from GRAF & sons a few years ago was around $1,000 and shipping & hazmat fees were free ! I got 32 lbs of powder & 40,000 primers

Boolit Master
    Like many of us it looks like you need a sign out front that says "firemen, for your owns safety stay back 100 yards."

In a burning barrel (decades ago, I grew up on a small farm) over the counter Class C fireworks are more dangerous than a box of primers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    Like many of us it looks like you need a sign out front that says "firemen, for your owns safety stay back 100 yards."
    I used to have a pretty good stash. Over the years I've gotten several estate deals on lots of older powder (very cheap but good powder) so I haven't bought any new in a very long time. I don't shoot a lot, but it's been so many years since I've bought any that now my stash is really down to a much more manageable level. Before too long I'll have to rely totally on new, store bought powder, but that's OK because I just don't have time to shoot a lot anymore.

As to that store you mentioned in Tillamook, I've only been in there a couple times and that was years ago. I remember their prices being high, but I also specifically remember their customer service being very poor. There was a noticeable attitude there. Maybe because they're the only game in town.

I felt lucky to be able to pick up 8 pounder of IMR 4831 for $23 per pound the other day.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."