RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
MCD ProductsMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt Action 30 Carbine?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    Take the extractor out, put a little bead of weld where the rim goes and file it down to a better fit.
    That course of action was considered but not followed through .Welding on heat treated steel is never a good idea and could cause bigger problems than the current one which is not really a problem - more of a slight inconvenience .

Boolit Master
    I have wanted a bolt action 30 Carbine for decades. I thought a 22 Hornet action could be used. Glad to hear it worked out. I may have to go forward with this. I was figuring 130-150 grain boolits.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Get a M1 carbine, remove the gas system and plug the port, silver solder or braze a bolt handle to the right hand bolt lug and presto, a bolt action .30 carbine.

Boolit Master
    Dan,

That might have been an option about 3 years ago when a guy could pick up a carbine for about 300 dollars. Now, I havent seen one in shootable condition for less that 650 in years.

In addition, I am thinking a kickstand from an older electraglide would also work for the bolt handle. Maybe it could be called a Harley-carbine. Like the carbine you describe, my harley seemed to lose more parts than were held securly in place.

Boolit Master
    Here is a photo of a 22 Hornet bolt with a 30 Carbine cartridge in it. It is a snug fit but it fits.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Being a curious cuss.....

I have a .223 Interarms Mk X Mini-Mauser here.

I (just now) placed a factory-loaded .30 Carbine cartridge in the magazine, where it seemed right at home.

-Then it fed smoothly into the chamber (with me keeping WELL AWAY from the trigger, and muzzle in a safe direction!)

-And then it also extracted nicely from the chamber.

Seems that if a man could find a .223 Mini like this in well-used condition, he could have the barrel re-bored to .30, set back, and chambered for the Carbine round for relatively-little money, si?

Come to think of it, if compactness and light weight aren't critical almost any ,223 might be a candidate without huge investments in 'smithing. The Mini-Mauser would be oh-so-elegant, though....
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Being a curious cuss.....

I have a .223 Interarms Mk X Mini-Mauser here.

I (just now) placed a factory-loaded .30 Carbine cartridge in the magazine, where it seemed right at home.

-Then it fed smoothly into the chamber (with me keeping WELL AWAY from the trigger, and muzzle in a safe direction!)

-And then it also extracted nicely from the chamber.

Seems that if a man could find a .223 Mini like this in well-used condition, he could have the barrel re-bored to .30, set back, and chambered for the Carbine round for relatively-little money, si?

Come to think of it, if compactness and light weight aren't critical almost any ,223 might be a candidate without huge investments in 'smithing. The Mini-Mauser would be oh-so-elegant, though....
    My thoughts also, except I was working around the idea of the 22 Hornet. I don't have a 223 bolt rifle. But I like the idea of the mini mauser. Where is that pile of $100 bills I had laying around.
    Last edited by StrawHat; 03-07-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Boolit Master
    Just a suggestion here. On the M1 carbine there have been some conversions that Guns and Ammo had in their magazines. You really don't have to remove the gas system. Make up a gas plug that will fit where the gas piston goes. And just screw it in place of the origional two piece gas piston. It's the movable piston part that hits the slide and makes it move to the rear of the action. So if you make a one piece piston there is nothing to move and the gas stays in the barrel. Simple. And last gun show M1 carbines were going for Big bucks. I bought mine some years back and it was a blue sky import that came from Korea. Excellent bore and fairly accurate. Cost back then was $500 with a cracked stock. Next table over a lady was selling a replacement stock for $65 and the matching handguard was $20. Problem solved. Oh yeah, making the one piece gas piston plug also allows you to change back to the origional gas system just by swapping parts. Had given thought about making one up in 45acp but never had the money. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by heathydee View Post
    I re-barrelled a BRNO Fox 22 Hornet to 30 Carbine a few years ago . No mods to the bolt face but since the rim in the 30 Carbine is significantly thinner than the Hornet
    No issues feeding a straight-walled case of that length? I read that at some point one reaches a limit angling a long straight case into a chamber of the same diameter, which can be an issue when chambering bolt guns to straight cases.

Somebody above mentioned starting with a .223, and somebody mentioned a mini-Mauser. CZ527 comes to mind.

Boolit Master
    For me, I'd consider the CZ527 in 7.62X39 and load it accordingly.

Best regards

Three 44s