Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite military bolt gun?

Boolit Master

1896 Krag

Boolit Master
    gotta say mosin, seen video where casefull of mixed pistol powder failed to rupture the gun, plus they cost less than the tin of surp ammo to feed it

Boolit Buddy
    Have a number of surplus rifles and a fair number of sporterized surplus rifles too. Hard for me to pick a particular one. For being a somewhat rare surplus rifle, guess it'd be the M47 Madsen 30-06 built for Columbia I bought back around 1967 for deer hunting, that was new, never issued. Still in pretty darn good condition. Seldom take it to range to shoot, but when I do, there is always someone who'll ask me what it is.

Then about 4 years ago, on an internet surplus rifle auction of the Darnell firearms collection (jeezzz, must have been over 5,000 surplus rifles) that were sold in 5 or so auctions held about 6 weeks apart, I bid on and won a pretty darn nice Model 1936 Mexican Mauser in 7x57. The rifle was listed as a mystery mauser. Only thing wrong with the rifle was the Mexican Crest had been carefully removed....one of reasons rifle couldn't be identified. I was lucky to already own just the action of a Model 36 Mexican I'd bought from a long time gunsmith who'd had it in his private stock of mauser actions to build on. Has a Springfield like knob on rear of bolt. From a picture of the rifle, knob allowed me to I.D. the one in the Darnell collection. Evidently, I was only one who knew it was a 36 Mexican and quickly won the rifle with a $220 bid. Rifle turned out to be quite a shooter with one really really good military trigger. I would later post some pics of my Mexican on a couple of surplus rifle websites and have comments made such as: I've been trying to find a 36 Mexican for over 7 years to complete my Mexican mauser collection or that's the best looking Mexican mauser rifle I've seen.

Sometimes here, but never there (with apologies to Bud Abbott)
    I've owned and shot a few milsurp bolt actions over the years. While the Mosins have been a lot of fun, by far my favorite is was and probably shall be the 1917 Eddystone. The fit, balance, accuracy, and quality is exceptional. I only wish I could afford one. The last time one was offered at a price I could live with, i passed on it in favor of a Garand.

Still think I made the right call, but...

Saddle

Boolit Master

upnorthwise, we are in agreement! 1901 M96 Swede

Very actively looking for one now.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    upnorthwise, we are in agreement! 1901 M96 Swede

Very actively looking for one now.
    PM sent to ya Kevinakaq!

I am selling a 1901 M38 Swede that is absolutely perfect for vintage matches,
    Sometimes a teacher, always a student.

Boolit Master
    Mine is the battlefield pickup G98/40 which saved my Dad's life in a battle in Italy, when he was wounded and his Garrand was distroyed! Period end of discussion. It will forever hold a place in my heart,God rest his soul.

Boolit Master

Thanks Huck for the heads up and sale! Look forward to receiving it...now I can play with a m96-38 up close and personal...

"PM sent to ya Kevinakaq!

I am selling a 1901 M38 Swede that is absolutely perfect for vintage matches, "
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    Thanks Huck for the heads up and sale! Look forward to receiving it...now I can play with a m96-38 up close and personal...

"PM sent to ya Kevinakaq!

I am selling a 1901 M38 Swede that is absolutely perfect for vintage matches, "

Enjoy Kevin!!! I already put down a good word for the Swedes on this thread, but I'll say it again, Swedes are the best!!!

I got my 1903a3 not long ago and have been loving that too, I must say, and with lazy handloads it will hold the Ten ring no problem on the SR1 target at 100yrds
    Sometimes a teacher, always a student.

Boolit Buddy

Cool time revive this thread with a new favorite

My latest is an all matching 1955 No4Mk2 Fulton Regulated target rifle equipped with an
    AJ Parker TZ 4/47 target sight.
    It took only two shots to zero it, after that, the two hundred yard gongs were easy to hit.
    I am going to take it out to find some longer ranges to shoot at. Out here there are a few canyons I can get to in a short distance drive that has all the distance I need to test the potential of this rifle.
    From what I can tell, this rifle has a new barrel, has been bedded, probably with wooden blocking to keep the mating surfaces tight. I took off the front band to check it out, the top handguard had been worked and the barrel band was bedded with a cloth type material that was glued on.
    I didn't want to take it all apart as I didn't want to mess with the bedding, I probably wouldn't be able to put it all back exactly.
    So, I thought best to leave it be and enjoy shooting it.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Banned
    1903 Springfield, grew up shooting them, sporterizing them, and competing with them. All the family and men I knew had them. Had all the ammo, brass, and surplus powder I could use. Shot everything from squirrels to Elk and have not been without at least a couple since I was in short pants Russ

Boolit Master
    Great thread.I guess the most heavy duty military bolt gun that I ever owned was a 45/70 built on a Siamese Mauser action.The most fun was the 03 Springfield that my Father brought home from overseas after WW1.It was his issue rifle,and saw combat.Don`t know what happened to either of them.They just disappeared never to be seen again.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

My avatar is a dead give away.....
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Well, mine is my K31 Swiss... I just love it... Refinishing mine as we speak...

AG

The only one I own Mosin!

Boolit Master
    I once read that the Germans made the best hunting rifle, the Americans made the best target rifle, and the British made the best battle rifle.
    I concur.

For accuracy, I would have to go with my Finnish Sky rifle. Never will like the safety on a Mosin action, though. For quality and elan, my 100 year old, all matching, non threaded Swede is the choice. For utility and fun and shot the most, my WWII vintage Enfield wins. An old Moisin given to me by a friend has some cool factor in that it was cleaned from the muzzle so much that a pulled bullet drops an inch into the bbl. Have to wonder how many enemy were gunned down with this old war horse and in which major battle(s). I just clean old military rifles because a lot of the character are the marks and dings picked up over the years in battles and armories.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Banned
    i had a '98 mauser action that i built up. bent the bolt handle, timiney trigger, 20" douglas barrel and put a swift 3-9x. it was done in 7x57 and boy did it shoot!!! 1/2" at 100 yards was the norm. i took for deer season for 5-7 years and then i gave it to my oldest boy.
    i just got the 1898 springfield armory in 30-40 krag last summer. it was sporterized and it killed quite a few deer(pap, dad, and uncle). i got it and cleaned it up for shooting cast boolits. this year i really wish to take the krag out and blood it with cast.

Boolit Master
    This is like trying to choose a favorite child, they all have their good and bad.

In Remembrance

Two. 98 Mauser and 96 Swede. Most reliable and accurate milsurps out there.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry