RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool to measure squareness of bullet base squareness

Tool to measure squareness of bullet base squareness

Hi,

I use to cast 540 grains Creedmoor bullet for long range black powder shooting in cal 45-90

I use tin/lead 1/20 and I weigh each bullet to be +- 0.1 grain.

I want to know if there is a tool to measure the squareness of the base of the bullet ?

Thank you
    Last edited by Etienne Brule; 01-19-2014 at 08:03 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    v-block and dial indicator will work, but they make regular case and bullet spinners.

Boolit Master
    Boy that's an awful tiny T- Square!

Good idea for your application. Just may be a money making opportunity.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Any kind of square would do. No need to make one just for this application.

How precise do you want to be? IMHO a square would be about the limit of practical use, you could set up all sorts of jigs, comparators, etc.. However, so long as the base is 90 degrees, that will be close enough. Anything more than that is not material since once it get into the bore, the more precise measurements have just gone all to hell and are unpredictable in the course of precision.

Boolit Master

Seems to me that if you are getting complete fillout of the mold, it would all be wasted effort. As soon as that round goes off any minor difference you might detect is going to be smashed into the wad and obturated to the bore.

Boolit Grand Master

Starret and several make a small die maker sqyare that will work very well. set the base of the square to the side of the bullet with the blade over the base and sook at a bright light. a couple thousandth out will show. As mentioned above a vee block on a suface plate with indicator in a hieghth gage will also work but is a lot slower. mount bullet in vee block on a stop. catch bullet base and check 4 corners, un mount and mount next. Tere are fixtures that will do this available also. Personally I would go with the square. If you have access to an optical comparator this would be the fastet. A CMM ( co ordinate measuring machine would also work and be very accurate but these are usually in the 50,000 range. If you have the surface plate sitting the bullet on its base with the square against it and turning the bullet will give good results also. Square is in both x and y plains. Once the molds are proven square they should always be square unless work is done on them

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Boy that's an awful tiny T- Square!

Good idea for your application. Just may be a money making opportunity.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Brown & Sharpe and Starrett make small machinist squares. Should be accurate for your purpose. They are NOT cheap though.
    2AMMD

Boolit Master

A small SQUARE is known as a TOOLMAKER'S SQUARE to Machinists.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes....T&D make's squares. I regularly use my set of 4 of them to check squareness of boolits, tools, models, and all the stuff I make. Great for squaring table saw blades!

Starrett is the best......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.. Enco sells some cheap imports.

banger

In Remembrance
    If you have a problem that you think is caused by the base not being square, you might not have a fully filled out base.
    If the base edge is rounded ... even a little ... it is probably rounded by a different amount on different sides of the bullet.
    If you drag your finger across the edge of the bullet base and it feels nice and silky, the edge is rounded.

Is the corner of the base sharp enough to feel 'uncomfortable' when you drag your finger across it?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    If you want a number to quantify the squareness of the base you can use a small surface plate, a V block and
    a dial test indicator.
    EDG

Most of the methods mentioned assume there is no taper in the boolit.
    If you have taper and don't have access to a CMM or comparitor, it would be tricky to determine how square the base is to the centerline.
    A surface plate and an indicator would work - if you had no runout. If you have taper and are out of round, I'm not sure how to measure accurately without a comparitor or cmm. Probably a surface plate and indicator, with index marks on the boolit and rotating it against a stop at the base would get you close.

Boolit Buddy
    "I want to know if there is a tool to measure the square-ness of the base of the bullet ?" Then you want +/- 0.1 grain.

Sizing bullets can square up the bottom, something that does not exist: Stack two plates, drill and then taper the holes and install tapered pins for alignment 'ever time'. After installing alignments pins drill small holes through both plates, separate the plates and tap holes in in the plate that is going to be the bottom plate. In the top plate drill holds that are the correct diameter for your bullets, all the holes can be the same diameter or different diameters.

A screw in the bottom plate can be used to push the bullet up and level with the top of the holes in the top plate. Flat, square and level? Shear the bottom of the bullet that is protruding with a file, plane or very sharp scraper, a file makes a very good scraper.

Could be a problem, the +/- 0.1grain thing, but even if you do not square the bottom you could visually inspect the bottom of the bullet.

F. Guffey

Vendor Sponsor

The squareness is built into the mould. If you check the boolit by rotating it in a vee block with an indicator on the base you'll be able to see if your mould is good or not.

Not much you'll be able to do to change it after the boolit is dropped from the mould unless you want to put it in a lathe and face it. Then it would be square to the centerline of the boolit.

If the boolit base is NOT square to the CL of the boolit then throw the mould away and start over.

It would be difficult to imagine a mould that had a base that was angled one side to another .

I don't know how you would make such a thing, considering how moulds are made in the first place.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    The squareness is built into the mould. If you check the boolit by rotating it in a vee block with an indicator on the base you'll be able to see if your mould is good or not.

[...]

Randy
    Thank you everybody,

First, I do not assume that the squareness of the base is not right, although I want to ckeck it.

I am often wondering if the sprue plate has the right tension over the mould.

I will give a try to the indicator on the base of the bullet in a v-block to check that squareness.

Thank you

Boolit Master
    Face them in a lathe ? How about and RCBS bullet puller collet, put them in up side down and swipe a file across the base ?

just thinking out loud on my keyboard.

Mike

Boolit Master
    The best "tool" I have found for square to body bullet bases is a nose-pour mould!

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

It would be difficult to imagine a mould that had a base that was angled one side to another .

I don't know how you would make such a thing, considering how moulds are made in the first place.

Randy
    So, the problem was in the sprue plate... too loose ...

Thank you