Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Looking for machine work... Lead squirt die for 20ton bottle jack

Boolit Buddy

Looking for machine work... Lead squirt die for 20ton bottle jack

Hey guys, I have sent some PM's out to the few I have seen performing the arts of lead squirting here with not so much success, so I thought I'd fire out a blanket post hoping to catch someone that can do this for me.

I'm looking for someone to manufacture a lead squirt die with removable head for multiple calibers. I'd like it to have the largest possible core for the incoming lead. I also would be interested in a frame to wrap around my bottle jack, which is the HF variety. This frame needs to be tapped to fit the squirt die to be made. Lastly, I'll be needing a core mold from which the (as large as possible) lead cores would be stuffed through the squirt die.

If anyone is interested, I have reserved some significant funds for this project. I have already invested on tons of lead, and I really don't like casting cores due to power/fire required in grid down scenario. My goal would be to cast as many cores as possible and keep them on standby for future use from my lead stockpile.

Please let me know if there is interest.
    X

Boolit Bub
    I may be interested in one.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by xman777 View Post
    Hey guys, I have sent some PM's out to the few I have seen performing the arts of lead squirting here with not so much success, so I thought I'd fire out a blanket post hoping to catch someone that can do this for me.

I'm looking for someone to manufacture a lead squirt die with removable head for multiple calibers. I'd like it to have the largest possible core for the incoming lead. I also would be interested in a frame to wrap around my bottle jack, which is the HF variety. This frame needs to be tapped to fit the squirt die to be made. Lastly, I'll be needing a core mold from which the (as large as possible) lead cores would be stuffed through the squirt die.

If anyone is interested, I have reserved some significant funds for this project. I have already invested on tons of lead, and I really don't like casting cores due to power/fire required in grid down scenario. My goal would be to cast as many cores as possible and keep them on standby for future use from my lead stockpile.

Please let me know if there is interest.
    X
    Check A L Floyd here in the Vendor Sponsor Area: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...-Floyd-Swaging

Bill
    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap

Boolit Master

I've got one of Afloyds. He uses cast Boolits as cores. Don't know if this is what he is looking for.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy

Do you have machine drawings/prints of what you want fabricated, or are you working from a napkin? theres a LOT of work involved just machining,
    let alone the design from scratch tooling you want. More info is needed.

Boolit Master

XMAN777:

1. I bought a lead wire making die (Interchangeable for .224 & .30 Cores) from A.L. FLoyd. Excellent work, recommend his products, but may not be suitable in your application.

2. See Post #29 in following link.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post2570860

If you don't have a full design, the article may provide some help.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy

I also think that cores from casts would be fine, as I have a Magma. I was just looking for something that works when the power is out and requires no fire. I would likely turn all my ingots into cylinders which fit into this die to be made. Anyways. I'll hold out a few more days. Someone out there has done this.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    XMAN777:

1. I bought a lead wire making die (Interchangeable for .224 & .30 Cores) from A.L. FLoyd. Excellent work, recommend his products, but may not be suitable in your application.

2. See Post #29 in following link.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=#post2570860

If you don't have a full design, the article may provide some help.
    Hell, if somebody can make the exact same thing here, I'm happy as a lark. I don't have the time nor the tools.

Boolit Buddy
    There have been several threads on this subject in the past. Here is what I made up. Everything on the frame I fabbed up. Simple channels and threaded rod. I had a machinist friend of mine make the die. It has a 3/4" bore My billets I use are 11/16" dia and about 2" long (only limited by the blocks of aluminum I used to make the mold. I get about 12-24" of wire out of each billet depending on which size I am extruding. It has threaded inserts in the top for the different sizes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	press1.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	94042

Name:	press2.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	94043

Name:	press3.jpg 
Views:	555 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	94041

Bret

Boolit Master

I have done this twice using 3" diameter steel round stock with a 1" bore that uses 1"x6" lead slugs.
    I had another member post pics because I could not do it.
    I use a 20 ton press available from NAPA with a HF air over hydraulic jack and it prodeces a .187" dia wire at least 11 feet long.
    It has interchangeable orifices for different size wire.

You need to know what you are doing with a die this size or serious injury can result if a die this size comes flying out of the press.
    Both were a lot of work, the first was made from 3"x1" DOM bushing stock about 12" long, the second was from solid 3" bar about the same length.
    Too da** cold to even think about doing one at this time.
    Shooterg post pics in the thread "home made lead wire", a pic of the mold for the slug is in the pics also

Boolit Buddy

Bump... Anyone? I'm not looking for Ideas per se, I'm looking for someone to say "I'll do it"

Boolit Master

I would be interested in a project like this when the weather gets a little warmer and it does not feel like every piece or steel I pick up is a block of ice!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by xman777 View Post
    Bump... Anyone? I'm not looking for Ideas per se, I'm looking for someone to say "I'll do it"
    You get me plans. I will quote you a price to build and ship.

Boolit Bub
    I actually built a 25t hydraulic press for lead wire. I tried first the bottle jack route and it was too slow. I tried an air over hydraulic jack next and it too was slow and loud.
    I spent about a month playing with square tubing - 2"x4"x0.25" and 1" thick plates to get a frame that supports a 5" x12" hydraulic cylinder. The cylinder, pump, valve and hoses were about $600, the frame was another $300-400.
    The die was made by a local machinist from heat treated steel - basically a cylinder with ID of 1", with 2 1" plates on both ends held with tie rods - just like a tie-rod hydraulic cylinder. One of the plates has a small hole in the center, depending on the wire size you need. You just make different plates with different size holes and switch them as needed. The other plate has 1" hole in the center for the piston. The piston is made out of induction hardened rod. I think it cost me about $350 for one die.
    It uses 1"billet, about 1 lb of lead. I can make about 50 lbs of wire in an hour.
    I was making .312 wire and the pressures with pure lead were about 800-1000 psi at start, then it goes down to about 500-700.
    The problem I had was that the die was so well made, it trapped the air after loading the billet and then it created bubbles in the lead wire - I was able to control it to some extend but the bubbles were still there.
    I tried a 1.5" die but the pressure went to 2200 psi, too close to the limit of the press.
    Now the thing just sits in my garage and one day I'll probably list it for sale in the classifieds here.