WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smith 38 special

Boolit Bub

smith 38 special

Fired my first k38 smith this weekend..... wow! I had heard all about the smith pistols but I was a ruger guy I guess, shot some other smiths but finally got ahold of the one they talk about I guess. Still amazing to me, shows you just how good of a shot you are for sure.

Boolit Master
    Now you need one..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    Now you need one..
    Or two, or three, or four, and on and on.

Boolit Master
    Yep.
    <
    Score yet another point for my all-time favorite gun writer - the old curmudgeon himself - Dean Grennell.
    <
    I was a young man when I first read about how he considered the K-38 an all-around wonderful handgun. My first K-frame was a used model 15 that I bought just because I wanted to see why Grennell liked them so much. I now own - lemme see - four K-frames and am actively seeking the 5th. They do grow on you, and the old curmudgeon was right. They're pretty nearly the perfect DA revolver.
    <
    Enjoy - and welcome to the K-frame club!

<
    Uncle R.

If you ever get a chance to shoot a K32, by all means do so. As far as I'm concerned, they are the sweetest shooting thing out there. Now finding one at a decent price is an effort in frustration.
    R.M.

The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike..........Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Yep, K Frame Smiths are a treat that all handgunners should enjoy!
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 01-16-2014 at 04:29 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Get them now, they won't get any cheaper. The value will only go up.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Bignutt - I have a number of handguns - Colt, Ruger, Smith & Wesson . . . by far, my favorites as far as shooting 38 spl. are my K frames - mine are all "vintage". I'm putting a picture of mine below - the upper right is a K frame 4th Change M & P Target (circa mid to late 1920's) - 6", next (upper left) is a 1956 pre-15 Combat Masterpiece - 4", second one on right is a 1952 M & P Pre-10 - 5" and the lower left is a J frame Model 36 (my CCW). All are great shooters but the one I like the best of the four is the Pre-10 - made the same year I was born. If I could only own one Smith - it would be a K frame Pre 10 or Model 10 - I personally think that is one of the nicest all around DA revolvers ever made that has such a wide variety of uses.

The second photo shows the Smith Target Model along with my 1910 Colt Army Special - 6". It also is a nice shooter. They are pictured with an original Winchester bullet mold the is for the ".38 S & W Spl". This throws a lead slug that usually weighs + or - 160 grains. I like using this in my reloads in the vintage revolvers - this mold is probably from the early 1900s - the 38 spl being introduced in 1898.

Attachment 93692Attachment 93693

Perma-Banned

I really like the early pre 1940 colts and smiths. They are smooth and shoot great.

Boolit Master

They should have called them "special K's"

Boolit Bub
    That is really a nice collection of 38s there my friend! Your kinda making me drool a little bit....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	541365_3069234506682_1977549944_n.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	93714
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Master

I left revolvers behind about 25 years ago and became a dedicated auto guy. I recently picked up a Ruger GP100 and rekindled my affair with the revolver. I know this is a 'Smith Thread' but I started remembering all the Colts I used to have and how much I now miss them. And I sure can't afford to replace the Pythons, Troopers, Diamondbacks and Cobra's I sold. Ok, I'm depressed, need to go shoot!
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 01-16-2014 at 11:11 PM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I have posted this photo before. This is my K-38 model 14 38 special I bought new in the late 90's. Target was shot at 50 yards using the Speer HBWC and 2.7 grs. of Bullseye. Shot the group from a Pistol Perch using a 1X scope.The gun has a harder than normal trigger for a Smith but is still a fine shooting revolver....Terry

Boolit Master
    I also enjoy shooting the older S&W K-frame .38 Special revolvers but still prefer the old long-action N-frames.

1948 long-action "transitional" .38/44 Outdoorsman

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Buddy

Nice grips there Jerry.
    Who made them?

Quote Originally Posted by GLL View Post
    I also enjoy shooting the older S&W K-frame .38 Special revolvers but still prefer the old long-action N-frames.

1948 long-action "transitional" .38/44 Outdoorsman

Jerry

Banned
    Every now and then something comes along that is just "right" and the K-frame Smith & Wesson's are one of those "right" gems.
    The basic design goes back to the late 1890's and it's been refined along the way, but not fundamentally altered. They got it pretty close to right from the start.
    Mechanical designs often evolve as improvements are incorporated and eventually a pinnacle is reached. Once the design matures it will either continue because nothing else can fulfill that role or it will be supplanted by a totally new design. We see this progression of refinement followed by a long term production of the final design in many different applications: engines, watches, aircraft, ships, etc. The K-frame matured and survived because nothing else could match it for size, strength, accuracy, weight, durability and relative cost.
    They are classics.

I am a fan of the 38 Special round in Smith and Wesson and Colt medium frame sixguns. I have a number and have had many more over the years. For giggles here are two pics of my oldest (1913) and my newest (2005) K frame 38 Special. The K frame 38 has survived for well over a century because of merit.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    .38 Special + S&W K frame (or Ruger six series)= pistol perfection.

I currently have a 10-5, 642, and Ruger Service Six. This year I want to add a .38 with a 4" barrel and adjustable sights. A late model S&W 67 or Ruger GP-100 would be perfect but don't know if I'll have the funding for it. I'm thinking the Rossi 851 might be the way to go for now.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    ................The K frame 38 has survived for well over a century because of merit.
    /\ Bravo! Well said.