WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swedish (sporting) rolling block rifle question

Boolit Mold

Cool Swedish (sporting) rolling block rifle question

Good day all.
    Last edited by rene_limburg; 12-23-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Boolit Master

a small piece of metal with a hole for a pin and a hole for a peep sight would be very easy to make if you had a drill. make it out of cardboard or something first to see how tall to make it then make the metal one. easy peasy

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

is the front sight tall enough that some can be removed ? ( the old saying, "I filed the front sight twice and it still shoots too high " )

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

Why not just install a tang sight since you are going to use it for competition anyway?

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Check in with Dave Gullo at Buffalo Arms. They've had quite a few of those rifles in the past. Maybe they know where to get parts.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

NECG has something that might be made to fit.
    http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/G...&ST=Unfinished One Leaf Express Sight#.Us-2OiyA3IU

But it'd be as much time with a file to make a fresh leaf for what you have already.
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    I think I have what you want. It, and a front sight, came from a 12.7 X 44 sporter I put a tang sight on.
    PM sent.
    Regards, DaveF.

Boolit Master
    Can I hijack this thread for a second, please?

I know where one of these rifles are and I could get a decent deal on it. Only problem, the bore is junk. I mean GARBAGE.
    What pressures can this action safely handle? Nothing stupid mind you, I hate loud obnoxious rifles that abuse the shooter.
    Seriously, I wonder if it could SAFELY handle a 358 Winchester. If not, what about maybe a 35/30?

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Can I hijack this thread for a second, please?

I know where one of these rifles are and I could get a decent deal on it. Only problem, the bore is junk. I mean GARBAGE.
    What pressures can this action safely handle? Nothing stupid mind you, I hate loud obnoxious rifles that abuse the shooter.
    Seriously, I wonder if it could SAFELY handle a 358 Winchester. If not, what about maybe a 35/30?

Thanks!
    These are Number 1 Military Black Powder Remington Rolling Block Rifles. I can't say that any were purpose made centerfire rifles and not converted from the original rimfire rifles. I do know that my 1874 12.7x44 has the common two firing pin holes, one from the original rimfire cartridge and one when converted to the centerfire version of the cartridge. I know people shoot these with smokeless, but I'd be loath to recommend conversion to a more modern cartridge with higher pressures, given the age, original cartridge and extra boring for the 2d firing pin.

Perhaps the Dutchman will weigh in, he's certainly more knowledgeable about these rifles than I.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    Ohh, yeah if they're a BP rifle originally centerfire rifle is out. Thank you.

Boolit Master

Dean, I have a barrel in 8MM that I took off of a Swede to convert it to 40-65 if you might be interested in it. It shot reasonably well before the conversion.

Bob

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Rene,
    Pardon my drooling, but I am most impressed by your rifle. I find the old rolling blocks to be a wonderful design and your specimen is a delightful example. I hope you get it going. When you do, post us some targets.

Boolit Buddy

You may be able to adapt one of the replacement "L" shaped leaves made for Civil Wars Guns. S&S or Gator den has them for several rifles. They have the drilled hole for the hinge pin. The Maynard leaf is narowwer and might require less filing

Boolit Grand Master

Dean, If the barrel on the gun is one of the 8 X58RD it should have a date on the side of the barrel in front of the receiver. This would be the date the gun was "sporterized" by the Swedish? government. They heat treated the receiver, changed the breechblock and hammer blocks, along with the barrel.
    The Dutchman has the info on these as my memory might not be 100%.
    I do own one of these and shoot it with smokeless but I do keep the pressures down because if the gun kabooms the pieces usually go straight in your eye. I don't think it will handle a 358 Win safely.
    My plinking load is 160gr Loverin boolit and 12grs of Unique. Very accurate. I bought brass and dies from Bozz330 for my gun and he is good to deal with.

Boolit Master

The conversion date should be on the knoxform on the right side.

I didn't have much luck with BP. That case holds a bunch of powder and fouling was terrible with that small a boolit. 4759 gave me the best groups in the barrel mentioned above.

Bob

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Looking forward to more pictures; targets, the finished sight, game harvested.

Boolit Mold
    might want to graft a adjustable rear sight to you sight base, the T/C target sight comes to mind.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...ear+Sight+6853

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rene_limburg View Post
    When decommissioned many rifles where sold as surplus to civilians and they converted them to hunting/sporting rifles.
    Greetings Dutchperson

Swedish civilians did not do the conversions. They were done by a civilian company called Vapen Depoten. These images from the 1935 catalog:

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DeanWinchester View Post
    Seriously, I wonder if it could SAFELY handle a 358 Winchester.
    Please take the time to read this page completely:
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com/GB8x58RD.html

Norma loaded this cartridge to a maximum of 28,500 psi (approximate). Heed that number.

Dutch