Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: CVA Frontier carbine

Boolit Master

CVA Frontier carbine

Got this little short 50 cal carbine and found it to be very accurate with BP and a Lyman boolit it also shoots the Lee HB minie well to. It seems to be accurate at any charge so I use 60 gr of ffg black. Looks good also!http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/fr.../> sort=3&o=62
    PS: I won it on GB for $97 + $30 shipping and it didn't look like it had been shot.
    Last edited by Freightman; 01-09-2014 at 11:18 AM.
    Frank G.

Very nice looking rifle; you got a good deal.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

I built a kit years ago. Very accurate shooter with Lee REALs and RBs too. Guy at my club laughed until I won two events that day. A friend kept after me until I sold it to him. Wish I hadn't. He shot it and dind't clean it for over 6 months.
    Aim small, miss small!

I have a similar CVA rifle but, with traditional sights. It's called the Plainsman and I have been trying to find it's best projectile/load combo with difficulty. I have been using Lee REALs and patched commercial RBs over Pyrodex RS. Suggestions?
    "Pray for war, at least in war you know who the enemy is." A Shipmate
    "One who respects the law and enjoys sausage, should never watch either being made." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

What caliber and twist is it?
    Aim small, miss small!

Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    What caliber and twist is it?
    50 caliber, twist unknown, not listed in manual possibly 1:48, will try to confirm.
    "One who respects the law and enjoys sausage, should never watch either being made." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

That's what some call a compromise twist if in 1/48. It is in between RB and conical so will shoot both but not the best because in between. It can still shoot very go though just not optimal for either RB or conical. You can check the bore by marking a cleaning rod and with a good tight patch if it makes a half turn going in 24" it is a 1/48. Mind with that twist shot Lee REALs very good and RBs too but it's not always the case. Only shooting will tell.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Mold
    I have 2 CVA Frontier carbines. One is a 50 and one a 54. They both have 1:48 twist. Both are plenty accurate with rb or conical for hunting whitetail out to as far as my eyes will allow,about 125yd.
    The 50 is from a kit and the 54 is a laminated stock hunter version with adjustable sights.
    Didn't like the triggers so set one up with a double set trigger I bought off ebay. Took a little work but is real good now.

Thanks, it looks like 1:48 and now I could use some ideas about charges. It would be bad to get under power here in Central FL with the main thing being wild hogs and have a wounded angry ham with teeth.

Boolit Grand Master

Just work up some loads. Start at about 50gr and work up in 5 gr increments to see where your accuracy drops off. If accuracy drops off too soon you can try an over powder wad. That usually helps with heavier charges.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Found the twist rate on the Frontier carbine it is 1/48 the hunter has a 1/32 you might find this interesting a chart on Black Powder Twist Rates.
    http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/3307210-post1.html
    Last edited by Freightman; 01-13-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    Frank G.

Boolit Mold
    The chart does not list the 54 Frontier. I am sure it is stamped 1:48 on my hunter version 54. When I can I will check the 54, it is not at home at this time.

Mooman76,
    I have not found an over powder wad for 50 caliber, was hoping the Wonder Wad guys had 1. What do you use for that?

Boolit Grand Master

You can make your own from felt. You just need a punch. Some guys have used other things too.
    Aim small, miss small!